Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafe ama + ice bow

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by dikki, Apr 23, 2008.

1. dikki

dikki IncGamers Member

Strafe ama + ice bow

If i were to build a strafe ama using ice bow, what should i get for equipment then?

Strafe matri bow or gm? + faith rogue or?

2. BlushNine

BlushNine IncGamers Member

Re: Strafe ama + ice bow

Depends on alot of factors.

What will you be doing with her? Just Pits? Some Chaos? WSK? Cows? Everything? MFing? PVP? PVM?

Will you be using Freezing Arrows as your main skill or Strafe? If you are using Strafe, you will get more bang for your buck going with WF or another larger ED damage bow, especially if you will use a Faithful Rogue. Ice is good for Freezing Arrows but it pales in comparison to other end-game bows for Strafe.

If you are using Freezing Arrows you need to take into account the FA mana casting cost into your equipment. Then you have to figure out how much IAS you need to achieve speed breakpoints. If none of this makes any sense to you I suggest you read a guide or two and build a cookie cutter bowazon first. That way you will know what to look for if you decide to make a zon dedicated to using an Ice bow. It's not exactly a "starter" bow. Some of the Hybrid LF/Strafer guides are still good for pure strafer builds since strafe builds don't rely on that many skill points to do well.

3. Virility

Virility IncGamers Member

Re: Strafe ama + ice bow

First refer to BlushNine's detailed guide in the guide section this forum.

The greatest challenge I had using an Ice bow was balancing the desire for IAS and mana leech. In the end I settled for a "slower" set up to maintain the effectiveness of my strafing attacks for mana leech. I had been use to 3% ml from gloves working fine with Faith bow set up, this was barely adequate for Ice Matri set up.

I paired the Matri bow with an Act 2 Might merc with Pride runeword. I found knockback to be essential to handle "smaller" groups and stragglers and cold immunes. There is no substitute for Razortail belt with an Ice bow. Chains of Honor is the better armor for this bow.

My greatest complaint with Ice was the problems I had dropping games with all the effects firing off. I could not use a torch. Having other characters firing off spells etc seemed to be to much for the servers. I gave up around 90.

With a level 30 something freezing arrow Chaos Sanct and World Stone Keep were trivial. Freezing and shattering entire groups of Minion spawns in the Throne room were common. BUT when it came time to finish off the boss, it was a struggle compared to Faith/Pride(lower AR/strafe damage). This is where I wondered whether a GmB might not be better....and so I would go around about the gear to compensate for the slower bow....etc.