Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

str vs vit

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Cloud Strife, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife IncGamers Member

str vs vit

ok almost every barb out there is maxing vit now. They get thier str and dex from their items allowing them to pour every available pt into vit. Its not uncommon to have 390+ base vit giving 5-6k life wiht BO's..

My question is pertaining to barb vs barb only. Say you were to do that with str. Get well over 350, maybe 450 w/ gear. You'd wanna wear angelic set to compensate for your 70 dex and get as close to a lvl 50 or higher bo as u can to give you SOME life but is this a viable build?

You would probably get owned in 1-2 ww's but say you did 12k or more 2h dmg.. its not outrageous. Hell, you could be doing 7-9k dmg one handed. Thats insane. Image a barb thinking he's hot **** cuz he has 5k life and you zerk him once and bring him down below half. Maybe even kill him in one hit. Just a thought.. pls feel free to point out the many flaws in this idea or whatever.. im just lookin for a discussion on it.

2. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

People with sheilds generally have a 75% chance to block. So you'd have a very low margin of error. A few hits and you are dead. If you want to go for the one hit kill go with a charger with eth botd warpike.

3. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

no vit = dead

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

all str (450), 20 mace mastery, 10 zerk (+20 shout synergy), +5 combat skills, +2 masteries = 11k damage with 880k wep, roughly 13 damage per base wep point.

so, with a 1400 damage botd, damage would be 18.2k.

5. Cloud Strife

wow.. thats incredible!

imagine what that would do to the D clone or some monster with hella life

6. Wargasm

Wargasm IncGamers Member

That would own most hi-life critters, assuming they didn't own you first. I'll cast my vote in the 'no life=dead barb' camp.

7. Cloud Strife

i've been doing a lot of thinking about this...

Say you make a conc barb since conc gives def. I'd wear either stone or enigma... 1400 max dmg botd polearm/spear/maul thing.

You'd max iron skin, BO, shout, conc and a pt in beserk, nat res, inc speed, etc.

I think that with gear you wouldn't have to focus as much on raising high str, but more on high dex. With pts in dex ur def goes up. Not to mention its easier to hit ppl. That coupled with a demon limb and maybe the angelic set should give you pretty good AR. Now, u could wear stone in just about any armor and get good def. Say you had enigma in a balrog skin or something... you'd have high def and you'd get the bonuses from enigma. You should have enough str to wear it since this is a strength build.

I've met polearm barbs who do like 14k dmg and have 23k def. Compare that to s/s barbs who have 20k def, i'd say its very plausible. The big question for me is how effective is concentrate vs a barb that ww's...

Maybe 1 or 2 pts in ww or not. Im not sure.. Anyone else got ideas?

8. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

To address the origional question: Well in 1.09 BvB the standard build used to be all str, there was a reason this shifted in 1.10, people found the vit builds to be better.

Then your new post, I dont think DEX raises defense enough to make it worth it to focus on high dex. dex is also a lousy way to raise your AR and thus chance to hit, so it comes down to you put a whole lot of points into dex to get a marginal defensive and AR gain, when a barb going the vit route has about as high defense, and due to thinks such as demonlimb and angelic set, has high enough AR to still hit you enough anyway...
    So It doesnt seem very "cost effective" to me, but you might do better than I expect.