Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Story time with d3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by D1gitalDiarrhea, Sep 2, 2016.

1. D1gitalDiarrhea

D1gitalDiarrhea IncGamers Member

[​IMG]

Ive been along time fan of diablo since d1. The story transition from 2 to 3 is my biggest complaint. I guess i was expecting so much more from blizzard but i wasnt happy with the black soulstone...or how cain dies..or tyrael willingly leaving heaven..

I was expecting tyrael to be cast of heaven at least....and running into the d2 characters as npcs and hear their side of the story etc. The black stone.....dont get me started

Anyone else like or not like the story. Why or why not? [emoji48] [emoji49]

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Asteria likes this.
  2. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

The main plot was a bit dull and the twist with Leah's father was too predictable. I like the Followers' stories though.

3. Asteria

Asteria IncGamers Site Pal

I didn't like that Cain died. It felt to me like they did it just to shock people instead of it being necessary for the story to evolve. And as fmulder said that twist with Leah's father wasn't really a twist. Was anyone suprirsed at that even?

4. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

There were several threads around here when the game was launched about the story. It will be interesting to see if opinions changed since then. To me, the story was dumbed down to the point of annoyance. I have never really played games for the story though. The story is there and I usually enjoy it (or not) but it isn't a driving factor into my enjoyment level. However with D3 the story was in my face and that annoyed me. Blizzard got that message loud and clear I think since they initiated Adventure mode. Thoughts on that?

5. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I like the story as little now as I did on launch. Cains death felt unnecessary, and Tyrael's whole "I love people so I'm going to leave now" shtick felt weird. "Dumbed down to the point of annoyance" sounds like an accurate descriptor. I'd also throw convoluted, unnecessary, and regrettable into the adjective pool. The presentation of the story, I felt, was obnoxious as well. I'll never really get over the cartoony pop-up azmodan constantly appearing throughout act three.

I'm also not quite sure why it is, but the zones and towns felt very lacking in atmosphere compared to D1/2. The monsters are definitely more cartoonish than previously, which doesn't help. But if you took all the monsters out of the world I think it would still feel a bit off. I can't exactly put my finger on the reason.

At any rate, the only difference for me between now and launch is that I no longer care about the game, whereas I was quite invested on launch. The whole design is completely lacking in longevity for me, and that would be a big problem even if it had a great story going on. A good story can definitely enhance a game and make it great, but weak mechanics will kill it.

D3 could have been such a great game. It's really a shame the direction in which they took it. And it's even more a shame that the game was a runaway financial success, because that gives them no real incentive to second guess themselves when they/should they make a new installment in the series. If D4 is a thing, my expectations are genuinely low for it (although I'd love to be wrong).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    D jr and mrpinsky like this.