Stormcryer's Tanking Tri-Elementalist - The Archmage Revealed der=

Lira Lindriel

Diabloii.Net Member
Amsoly said:
Mini-Game-
I put my user name somewhere in this post, can YOU find it?

-STATIC.
This maybe?

The worst problem I see with your build is that nova will be worse than weak once you reach Hell. FW and FO can kill - and I found out that a Hydra doing no more than ~400 dam can kill (if you are alone in the game). But nova is horrible. Costs tons of mana and tickles monsters!

Amsoly

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure that I'll run into that problem too, but since I got the name Nova, I was really left with little choice. :)

Soepgroente

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm playing with meli's tri-sorc and i can confirm that they work pretty ok. It's nice that you don't have to re-town immediately after your merc is IM'd but you can kill those damn oblivs first :D

Ancient One

Diabloii.Net Member
Well The season is ending.... YAY Thank the Gods. Don't get me wrong I am going to miss all my Sorc's and even my Hammerdin. But the real fun is going to be building a new Tri-Elemental Goddess and watching all the one trick ponies croak. Never ever ever liked 1 or even 2 tree sorcs. Its Just going to enormously funny to watch all the losers who paid real money for "uber" items. Whine an cry about how impossible the game is without (fill in any uber item). I for one will relish (while it lasts) the fact that IMO the Sorceress is the best char in the game to start fresh with. I've seen some who say meteor/orb blizz/whatever. Me its going to be orb/light/wall.
Orb does less but doesn't miss. Lightning with charged bolt does much better than chain for me. Firewall only has 2 preq's as opposed to 5 for meteor. Hey its 3 pts I can use else where. :thumbsup:

MartectX

Diabloii.Net Member
MartectX's ArchMagi

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but have some experience with the game. I went out to search for a thread about tri-sorcs, and have now found my home. Please comment on the following char:

She uses attack skills from the Fire, Cold and Lightning skill trees! The choices are Meteor and Frozen Orb, two skills which can be effective with quite little skill points spent. :drool: For the main attack we have both Lightning and Chain Lightning. Static Field and Teleport provide good backup.

Skill Plan:

20 Frozen Orb
20 Meteor
20 Lightning
15 Chain Lightning
8 Fire Mastery?
7 Cold Mastery?
5 Lightning Mastery?
1 Static Field
Prereqs

Stats plan:

Strength – 84
Dexterity – ~200
Vitality – 150+
Energy <50

(Mana shouldn't exceed life cause of 'Blood Mana')

Henchman: Act 2 Defiance (can tank and boosts my defense while at it).

Should I really go for 20 Lightning 15 CLightning and 5 LMastery?
I'm quite unsure about that whole Lightning tree... please give me some advice!

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
I'd turn that around:
15 Lightning
20 Chain Lightning
5 Mastery

This way Chain Lightning gets a bit of a boost and Lightning still remains powerful.

Also
5 Fireball
20 Meteor
1 FM
is better than 20 Meteor, 6 FM

I think you are slightly forgetting about prereqs, so you will only be able to get lvl1 CM but that is enough!

So the build looks like this:
5 Fireball
20 Meteor
1 FM

15 Lightning
20 Chain Lightning
5 LM

20 Frozen Orb
1 CM

1 Static Field
1 Telekinesis
1 Teleport

+ prereqs

Otherwise all is fine 8)

MartectX

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you very much! Your help is really appreciated; nice to see someone defending TriElementalists :worship:

kirbymixmasta

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi im new here but ive been readin this thread for a while. So i decided to start my own tri elemental sorc.. so far its lvl ** and doing very well
The Skill plan is

20 Meteor
8 FM
5 FB
20 Blizzard
7 FM
15 CL
5 Lightning
7 FM
and some skills here and there for pre reqs

It uses Full tals, soj and nagel, war travs, magefist, and a rhyme trolls nest
Also it has a lvl ** Defiance Merc raised for normal which helps alot. This sorc is good for mfing and rushing and just mainly playing the game. So thanks everyone who posted ideas that i leeched off of :flip:

Nausicaa

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I'm currently having quite the experience with my Archmage.

This one was started with the intention of being CL + Hydra.

I chose these two, because they are two skills that I've always liked, but never really tried to build a character around.

Well, since this character is completely untwinked, and single player, I thought I would run into some very serious problems... The mana consumption of this character is unreal.

Well, as most would agree, CL is a very unreliable damage dealer due to the extremely low min damage, and in order to get the average damage to a respectable level lightning based sorcs leverage synergies like mad. Well, I have a point in every lightning skill, 5 in Lightning, 20 in CL, and 20 in LM.

When I was running normal Baal for a while, I found that I was starting to use hydra more and more. It was a good spell for fighting Baal. Not only is it incredibly safe (shooting around corners), but it was a lot less mana intensive than CL. This was extremely important against baal, as his blood mana curse is just disgusting against a CL sorc.

Since hydra was really getting on my good side, I decided to max it quickly. So, I was maxing LM + hydra for a while. I wouldn't let hydra fall too far behind, and it's a good thing I didn't...

Hydra is amazing against Duriel. Hydra is amazing against gloams. Hydra is amazing against any dangerous monster. When it came time to do places like the Maggot lair, Duriel, Flayer Jungle (This has got to be the place where I've died the most in D2...), Chaos sanctuary, WSK, Baal, Diablo... These places were made 10X easier due to hydra. Not only is it a great scout, but it kills quite well if you use it right. Gloams were not a HUGE deal in NM, oblivion knights weren't that bad either. I could kill them safely with my level 20 hydra + level 1 FM.

Now, after I got to the point where I was quite happy with the performance of my two (supposedly underpowered) skills, I decided that I could quite safely add a cold spell. I was inspired after finding a Chromatic Ire (I only used staves on this character so far BTW). With it's +1 CM, I got to see the -cold resists become quite nice, and just had to go for it.

So, I saved up my points, and went straight for Frozen Orb, quickly followed by 1 in CM (I don't want to be tied to the staff). I've been pumping FO ever since. Now I know that FO is pretty much an overpowered skill, and there are those that may say that this build shouldn't be too bad, as FO is a good bread and butter attack even at low levels. Please keep in mind that it wasn't even used until I was in Hell. I know it would have made life a LOT easier, but it was the other two skills which I wanted to have fun with.

Now, I've done plenty of Baal runs, in both normal and Hell. These have gotten me more than enough equipment, though I could always use some better gear.

I used a leaf staff, +2CL +3 warmth before the runeword. This was enough to get me through normal, and NM. I had my eye out for a better leaf-ready staff, but never found one. The huge + to warmth was a huge deal, and I miss it at times. Now using a Chromatic Ire. It is slightly better than the leaf I had for CL+hydra. And it's immensely better now that I am using three elements.

I used the Tal+Eth runeword armour until I found a Skin of the Vipermagi from NM Baal. It isn't a very good runeword, but it helped in the mana department.

The only other decent piece of equipment I found was Frostburn against Normal Baal (I think). This made a huge difference in mana.

These days, my equipment is considerably better.

- Chromatic Ire
- Frostburn
- Skin of the vipermagi
- +3 cold skills circlet
- +3 lightning skills amulet
- Tal Rasha's belt
- Ravenfrost
- +~100 mana + poison? resist ring.
- Aldur's advance
- Gheed's charm.

Now, this equipment provides me with decent + skills (I feel like I'm lacking in +fire skills though.. oh well). My resistances are unimpressive, but Fire is at 75 now.. Though lightning is around 16, and poison -18.

I have just enough points in strength to wear Aldur's (95?), one added to dexterity (I missed :scratch: ) ~140-150 vitality. And ~120 energy. I've also got 100 stat points saved. I don't know whether or not I'll need them for strength or vitality. Although it's often tempting to dump them into vitality and energy.

~120 energy!?! WTF? Yeah, I heard you. Well, it's like this: I use 35 mana per CL, over 30 per FO, and over 30 per hydra. With the amount of mana I have, I have enough that I can afford to blast the bejeezus out of monsters using all of my attacks liberaly. Almost. There are times (most of the time it seems..) that I am pretty much out of mana after/toward the end of a skirmish with the monsters. I know that this amount of points spent in energy is enough to make many a player shake their head, but I think it's the reason that I've been able to kill effectively in Hell. Keep in mind that I don't have any particularly strong attacks, all my spells cost a lot of mana, and I don't have SOJs or other such items. Frostburns are the closest I've got..

I decided to get a holy freeze merc. The idea was that it would tank, and also slow the monsters enough to make targeting with hydra easier. Also, it would ensure that I did physical + cold damage (this decision was made before I decided to go tri-elementalist). I was surprised at how useful he was immediately upon hiring him. The slow from holy freeze is nice, but doesn't really help my hydras. I learned to use them quite well before getting this merc. But his physical damage is quite helpful sometimes. He had some crap equipment until I did a couple of NM Baal runs. He quickly found himself wearing Rockstopper, Bonehew (Hel+Amn), and Hwanin's refuge.

The Hel was worthwhile at the time, but is no longer needed, and I'll unsocket it sometime in future. I know it looks like a waste, but I don't regret it at all. Hwanin's armour is ok... But it's definately the worse piece of equipment I'm using. It provides him with +100 life, some resists (poison?), low defense (for hell), and %chance to cast static field. This last mod can be great, but it's pointless for this character. Definately need something better for him here.

Some 'wasted' points I've got are one in thunderstorm (and it's pre-req, nova). And one in energy shield. I don't regret these, as I've found the ~200-800 damage that tstorm does to help often enough to justify it, and energy shield really helped when doing Baal runs. With a level 1-2 static field, you have to get awfully close to him...

So, we've all heard that archmages are underpowered right? We've all heard that using no shield is practicaly suicide in Hell right? We've all heard that hydra is too weak to use right? Well, it's all far from the truth. This is the most effective 1.10 character I've built so far. One would expect that with such diverse skills, only 4 points used to leverage synergies (lighning), and only a level 1 cold master + fire mastery, that this character would only be able to slowly chip away at monsters in Hell. This character kills so fast, that I almost never use static field. It's not needed against monsters (well, except for superuniques). A healthy combination of CL, hydra, and FO, supported by my bonehew.. er merc ^^, and thunderstorm kill all monsters about equally. At least so far. There hasn't been a single monster yet which has made me consider a retreat.

Skill points (for easier reading)
-5 lightning (synergy)
-20 Chain Lightning.
-20 Lightning mastery.
-1 in each of the remaining lightning skills.
-20 Hydra.
-1 Fire mastery.
-1 in each hydra pre-req.
-1 Cold mastery.
-?? Frozen Orb. This is where I'm currently putting points. If I max it, I'll probably add to Fire mastery.

I use all of these skills about evenly. FO + CL are great direct damage skills, while hydra is a good support skill for CL, and it's long distance / around the corner effectiveness ensures that it gets plenty of use. Nothing is better against Gloams. FO and hydra do not play particularly well with each other. The long delay of hydra interferes with FO a lot, but it's still a useable combination. CL works like a dream with either skill.

I have no doubt that this character will be able to complete Hell.

Please forgive the disorganized and lengthy post.

I hope that this helps to add a new dimension to the great archmage builds already discussed in this thread. If nothing else, I believe this illustrates that skills which are not considered 'good' on their own (hydra), can be devastating when used on an archmage.

Aron Figaro

Diabloii.Net Member
I've got a pretty big question on the optimum tri-elemental build. How does the %ED from Mastery stack with the %ED from synergies? Is it applied like any other, ie they add together, or does Mastery multiply everything at the end? I ran some numbers and if the former is the case I'm going to rip it up quite nicely with my plan.

Jek

Diabloii.Net Member
Mmm, someone asked about Nova in hell, my Nova/TS/ES/FW sorc deals about 1400-1800 nova, which is more than enough to do solo baal rather fast. :)

Hmm, might want to try a tri-elemental too and scrap TS for Orb or Blizz/GS...

EDIT: Sorry for the little OT.. :hanky:

Drazhar Khan

Diabloii.Net Member
im going to build me an Arch-mage and i have a question...

whats wrong with thunder storm? everyones very quiet about that one.

ill be using
- fire wall
- nova or thunder storm
- frozen orb (with ice bolt maxed)

every spare point in masteries.

edit:
the following has nothing to do with my skill choices. my strat would be to cast a spell that works on its own like hydra or thunder storm. then i have my hands free to alternate between the other two elements.

Aron Figaro

Diabloii.Net Member
That's a tricky call, actually. I like your strat and was thinking about it. It's possible I'll go Thunderstorm instead of Chain Lightning myself. My build is Orb/Fireball/Meteor/Chainlight right now, and looks solid. I'm called Neko_Grandivina, btw, on USEast SC Ladder. I'm a month behind on the ladder and pisspoor, so if anyone has any pity items, toss 'em my way. :p

Niyougegema

Diabloii.Net Member
Nausicaa, you are very right about this build.
It works extremely well, both in Softcore and Hardcore, in a party and solo. It survives untwinked, and is a decent MF'er too.

I have 2 solo sorcs in 1.10 with exactly your build, my first one, is currently lvl 84, and breezed through all of hell, dying twice all up. Hydra is extremely good to use in more dangerous areas, and all tree skills complement each other. When you go up against lightning immunes, you will find yourself standing around alot, waiting for the timer. Spam Glacial Spike, and nothing will get near you, and your Hydras will target 100% when things dont move.

My merc on this lady is a Holy Freeze, which slows everything down, perfect for this build...

My second sorc so far is played Pure, solo also, and is also my first Hardcore character (I have alot of faith in this build if you haven't realised yet!) She is lvl 50, and doing well, she kills decently, even though i've only got +3 lightning skills so far, and nothing else. Sigons shield is very good is you go the blocking route, strangely... Can't wait to find it...

I hope you go very far with this build, as I have...
Enjoy...

PS: If you want to see more about this build, I post alot at PDF. :uhhuh:

Relativity

Diabloii.Net Member
I had a tri-elemental duel sorceress in 1.09 that used Hydra/TS/Orb. Didn't get to play her much, but she was quite effective at the time.

Her build was:

20 Hydra
12 FM
20 TS
20 LM
20 Orb
1 CM
+Prereqs and 1 point wonders

She had +10 all skills and +21 fire skills (charms and mage I think)

Decent damage through and through (at least for 1.09). Haven't played her since.

Stormcryer

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
No problem with, always good to see some archmages popup.

Yup... Agree....Now that this one has resurfaced, I guess I'll have to start the rewrite on the build guiide.

Cheers!
Storm

AscendantOne

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice to see fellow Tri-Elementalist Afficionados :)

I have been giving this some thought, and decided to make a tri-elementalist also. Here's the build I am considering:

20 Hydra
16 Firemastery
4 Prereqs

20 Chain Lightning
18 Lightning Mastery
1 in All skills except ES (7 total)

20 Blizzard
1 Cold Mastery
4 Pre Reqs
1 Frozen Armor

111 Skill Points Total

Using my Perfect Tal's Set: Here are the totals (+2 to all masteries, +6 to skills)

Hydra: 581-673
CL: 5-1869
TS: 274-720
Blizzard: 1012-1075

What I love about this char is besides the versatility, the ability to attack from a great distance. I can Hydra/Blizzard from a screen away (Depending on immunities) and then CL the hell out of whatever is there. Give me a Tri-Elementalist over a cookie cutter any day :)

AscendantOne

Diabloii.Net Member
AscendantOne said:
Nice to see fellow Tri-Elementalist Afficionados :)

I have been giving this some thought, and decided to make a tri-elementalist also. Here's the build I am considering:

20 Hydra
16 Firemastery
4 Prereqs

20 Chain Lightning
18 Lightning Mastery
1 in All skills except ES (7 total)

20 Blizzard
1 Cold Mastery
4 Pre Reqs
1 Frozen Armor

111 Skill Points Total

Using my Perfect Tal's Set: Here are the totals (+2 to all masteries, +6 to skills)

Hydra: 581-673
CL: 5-1869
TS: 274-720
Blizzard: 1012-1075

What I love about this char is besides the versatility, the ability to attack from a great distance. I can Hydra/Blizzard from a screen away (Depending on immunities) and then CL the hell out of whatever is there. Give me a Tri-Elementalist over a cookie cutter any day :)

As for my build, I could use some suggestion about whether to go Orb or Blizzard for those amount of points. I definitely want to keep Hydra, but maybe go for lightning instead of chain lightning.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)