Stormcryer's Tanking Tri-Elementalist - The Archmage Revealed der=

Hashmalum

Diabloii.Net Member
Well in 09 storm was plenty strong enough to compliment the other skills well. Now theres too many synergies needed to really focus on 3 trees. I would love to think of a good build like this, but theres not enough points. I would have to think the best build would still be hydra/orb/storm.... Only need to max orb, storm, and lit mastery, then u can focus on getting ur fire spell strong.

Hashmalum

Diabloii.Net Member
Heres a little something I threw together. You need a lot of skills for this build obviously. I chose to go without block on this setup idea.

Weapon: Mang Song's Lesson -- I think this staff is EASILY the ultimate weapon for this build unless you absolutely need block. I dont know about you guys but I dont get hit much as a sorc. If you can get like 12%+ on all 3 elements it would be great.
Armor: Chains of Honor -- +2, 65 res. nuff said
Helm: Shako -- Dont think this helm needs much explanation either.
Ammy: Maras -- +2, resists
Belt: Arachnids -- +1, 20 cast
Rings: SoJ's -- Skills, mana
Gloves: Magefist to take you over the 63 FC breakpoint, +1 Fire too
Boots: Your choice
Charms: Anni+res/life/mana/skills -- your choice

That gives us +15 cold/lit, and +16 fire. Plus anymore skill charms you want to add. The build will use minimal str too, no dex, no nrg, and MASS life. And you have a respecatable amount of DR too. Few res charms should max them out too. Shouldnt have any problems staying alive unless you suxor lol. I can see getting 1.5k life fairly easily.

As I said I think the best tri-build would be orb/hydra/storm. Orb/Storm dont need many points.

Lvl 35 tstorm/mastery=2008-2561
Lvl 35 orb/16 mastery=491-514, mastery=95%
Lvl 31 hydra/mastery=890-1016

Thats around like clvl 95 area
Not super high damage like some synergised builds, but you can definitly manage. And dual-immunes wont scare you! Throw in a merc for tanking/some physical damage and youre set.

You always have your one point wonder utility spells too like teleport, static, telekenisis, warmth, glacial spike(for freezing). This was just about my exact sorc in 09 lol.

Stormcryer

Diabloii.Net Member
Interesting
TS/Orb/Hydra

We'll have to get one of us archmage builders to try this one out.

I don't think we'll really get this down to the "perfect" archmage build as the build is also based very largely ion playing style.

Keep the variants coming though. If the mods ever decide to sticky the guide, we'll at least have for or five viable and tested builds.

Storm

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Stormcryer said:
Interesting
TS/Orb/Hydra

We'll have to get one of us archmage builders to try this one out.

I don't think we'll really get this down to the "perfect" archmage build as the build is also based very largely ion playing style.

Keep the variants coming though. If the mods ever decide to sticky the guide, we'll at least have for or five viable and tested builds.

Storm
Hydra/TS/BLizz, that would eb exotic. I am willing to ty some of those out.
Right now i am working an a FW/CL/Blizz version.

travismcgee

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, here is a little info on my current sorc:

(She actually started out with a different concept in mind and I decided to go for an archmage after playing her for a while, so this is by no means a perfect build, just a snapshot of a working version that can stand her ground anywhere in hell. Also she only uses equipment she found herself so it is far from perfect.)

Lvl 84

Str : 107
Dex: 142
Vit : 157
Eng: 184

Life: 713
Mana: 737
Defense:858

Resists:

Fire: 61 %
Cold: 19 %
Lightning: 31 %
Poison: 20 %

Damage:

FO: 399-419
CL: 4-2365
FW:365-389

Lightning:

10 CB
1 L
20 CL
15 LM

Cold:

20 FO
13 CM

Fire:
1 FW
1 FM

(I had a pure Lightning/Cold sorc in mind when I started her so I started out with CB).

Equipment:

Shako (PT)
Occulus
crafted caster ammy (+2 CS,9% fast cast,+4 eng,+11 mana,4% mana reg.)
Vipermagi (24%)
Gloomstrap Belt
ring1(10% fast cast,+5 Dex,+3 mana,LR 17%,FR 19%,HFD)
ring2(+8 Eng,FR 29%,PR 20%,HFD,9 % MF)
Rare Boots (+34% Def,FR 24%,HFD,23 % MF, selfrepairing)
Viscerataunt

2nd slot:

Wizardspike
Rhyme Grim shield

Act 2 HF merc:

Tal´s Mask
Courpsemourn
Reapers Toll with ED jewel (25%/+6 max)

Finding the Reapers Toll hugely improved the performance of her merc - except for Act Bosses or really nasty mods he almost never dies any more.

Like I said before, this is just a working example of a viable tri-elementalist build (far from perfect). The only real problem she has right now is that every time she tries the Ancients one of them is CI/LI and her fire damage is not yet high enough to take him out without the assistance of her merc (who dies every time before the end). So I cannot say how she handles in WSK yet.

Currently she tries to level some more doing the following run:

Mausoleum, Pits, Andariel, Ancient Tunnels, Mephisto, Hephasto,Eldritch,Shenk, Pindleskin.

None of those are really a problem exept maybe the dolls in Durance2 if lag sets in.

Evanta

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to throw in a little help/info here, 20 Fire wall + 1 Fire mastery, with +8 skills total, is usually more than enough killing power. To me, it seems to be the most efficient Fire tree skill for the lowest points.

So probably the most efficient tri-soc would be 27 pt cold tree (orb + cm, I put 1 pt in frozen armour) + 24 pt fire tree for 51 pts. Leaves 40-50 pts for lightning tree, which should do more than decently now with the pts saved.

windozed

Diabloii.Net Member
My tri-elemental sorc build for W-HCL. She's lvl 79 and has solo'ed up to act 4 hell so far. She has a Defensive Merc from Normal.

Up to WSK nightmare, I only placed 12 points into Frozen Orb, 1 into Cold Mastery and 1 into warmth. I had +5 to skill bonuses. I didn't use anything special, just a rare +2 orb, +1 circlet, +1 ammy, viscertaunt, and some rare rings and boots with resists. Once I had met some cold immune monsters, i sunk 20 into hydra and 20 into fire mastery.

Once I reached high enough levels, I outfitted her with GA, wiz spike, +2 sorc ammy, +2 sorc circlet, Gerkes/pdiamond, Gloomstrap, Ravenfrost. She has 90/78/90/79 resists in Hell. Resists charms in inventory. For the merc, I put on Tals Mask, Toll reaper, and a rare 1400 defense armor.

My currents stats are 133 strength, enough for Gerkes, 90+ Dex to maintain 50% block, base energy, and the rest in vitality. Life is around 800.

Cold: I haven't added to FO, because with skills it's at 18 which is good enough to any non-cold immune when spammed. Also have 1 in Frozen armor for defense bonus.
Fire: I have max Hydra/Fire Mastery. Very useful for scouting and taking things out from a distance while merc tanks.
Lightning: I'm at 17 CL with plus skills and 4 to LM, so far. Not powerful, but effective enough when spammed.

From this point, I'll only be adding to LM until I reach about 15. Don't know how far before I finish Act 5 or get bored with her. But I wanted to make a sorc that could solo all Hell mode. I kill everything I meet, I haven't run from anything. I think Hydra will be effective against the gloams in act 5. I don't use Energy Shield. I also am in walk mode all the time to maintain 50% block. I TP around a lot to get into position and always keep my distance from CE/FE monsters. When the defensive merc aura is on, her defense is around 5500. I can tank a little. Most monsters have around 35-40% chance to hit. Gerkes provides some physical dmg reduction and magic damage reduction. Plus, I have near to 90% in all resists.

BTW, this is Hardcore ladder, so, she is built to be cautious and defensive.

Stormcryer

Diabloii.Net Member
Windozed,
Interesting build and our first HC one. Thanks

Looks like I'm going to have a busy time trying some of these out.

Storm

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Concerning Tal's set btw. The -15% res for fire and lightning on the orb is simply awesome. Even better than havin extra +skills. I got hold of some Fire and Cold Skillers and that really does the trick. Mephisto now even dies quite as fast from Meteor/FB as with FO/FB.

Jade_Statues

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I've always wanted to make an Archmage, but i suppose the problem was that I not only wanted to do it to rub it in the cookie cutter's faces, but i wanted to do it with skills that are not so popular. Hydra interests me, Ive always wanted to make a hydra sorc, but never had a reason. I guess I miss it from the original diablo, where it RULED. Ice is sorta limited... blizz i think will be the way to go, since it is like hydra in the fact that its a area enchantment, not a targetted spell. Which leaves Lightning. Ive never been patient enough to crunch the numbers and figure out where i get the most bang for my buck in lightning, but I doubt charged bolt will fit the bill. I guess my question is this, what skills other than chain lightning or lightning would be most efficient. TStorm is no good, cause it wont actually kill LI's, ive tried that with my old novaorb sorcie from 1.09. So charged bolt is i suppose my only option, can someone help me with the exact skill placement ideas and such? Assuming CB/Blizz/Hydra, and pretty much any gear available. Thanks to two lvl 95 mf sorcs im quite wealthy. Thank you for all yer time...

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Jade_Statues said:
Well, I've always wanted to make an Archmage, but i suppose the problem was that I not only wanted to do it to rub it in the cookie cutter's faces, but i wanted to do it with skills that are not so popular. Hydra interests me, Ive always wanted to make a hydra sorc, but never had a reason. I guess I miss it from the original diablo, where it RULED. Ice is sorta limited... blizz i think will be the way to go, since it is like hydra in the fact that its a area enchantment, not a targetted spell. Which leaves Lightning. Ive never been patient enough to crunch the numbers and figure out where i get the most bang for my buck in lightning, but I doubt charged bolt will fit the bill. I guess my question is this, what skills other than chain lightning or lightning would be most efficient. TStorm is no good, cause it wont actually kill LI's, ive tried that with my old novaorb sorcie from 1.09. So charged bolt is i suppose my only option, can someone help me with the exact skill placement ideas and such? Assuming CB/Blizz/Hydra, and pretty much any gear available. Thanks to two lvl 95 mf sorcs im quite wealthy. Thank you for all yer time...
Option:
20 Hydra
1 FM
20CB
20LM
20Blizz
1 CM
All the rest possbily into either the other 2 masteries ort Lightning for synergy to CB so it will doeven more damage.

Be prepared to get hold of some Lightning Skillers though to boost the damage of CB more!

Stormcryer

Diabloii.Net Member
Melianor....Yup we got it stickied. Now the real work begins....taking in all the comments and getting the build guide down so we can put together a full build guide for the compendium..whenerver it comes out.

BTW to all that have contrinuted so far I say thanks, and keep the comments coming.

We've pretty well established the base build now comes the real hard part. My original build was predicated on using the Tal Set for the + skills et al. Now I need to look at other equipment combos that will work and still allow the archmage to kill within a respectable time, and stay alive.

We've already got the Tal set build, and the common Shako, Occy, Ormus et al build. Now lets see if we can come up with some new EQ builds, and perhaps a few leveling EQ suggestions.

Again thanks to all.

Storm

[36]MAFIA

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello!
Kinda new here, but have been a reader for a long time.
Something I am interested in with the tri-elemental discussion is a weather mage.
This would be a sorc that uses Blizz, Meteor, and TS.
Do you think this would be viable as well?

Stormcryer

Diabloii.Net Member
Blizz and meteor would work but not to sure on TS as it maxes out too low to be of any signifcant use. It's a great cast and forget for added damagebut as it's too waek for a primary skill i would not suggest using it. Cl works well and doesn't have a large mana drain, one of teh things I have been playing arround is static and telekenisis while teh merc does the rest of the clobbering...seems to be working on FI/CI

Storm

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Some interesting calculations on Charged Bolt as part of an archmage Build:

+12 skills

20 Charged Bolt 169-180 damage per/bolt, 24 bolts
20 Lightning Masery

20 Charged Bolt 211-224 (!) damage per/bolt, 24 bolts
15 Lightning 3-4019 (!)
5 Lightning Masery

The secodn listing is some CRAZY improvement compared to the usual 20,20 distribution. + you get a viable Lightning!! :cheesy:
This can make CB as your choice in Lightning tree for an Archmage alot more viable :) prereq is +1 compared to first listing and -1 incase of taking CL.

Build i will be working on:

20 FW
7 FM
or
7 FB
20 Meteor
1 FM

20 CB
15 L
5 LM

20 Blizz
1-7 CM (putting last here... )

+prereq this comes down to 97(100)-104(107) with Meteor instead of FW pts needed. Ofcourse reaching 104/107 is not really realistic, so CM will simply remain lower....

WitchCoven

Diabloii.Net Member
Question for the group...

I have been seeing various people posting about skill distributions, and a pattern has developed such that most agree that putting points in Fireball is better than putting points in Fire Mastery for Meteor... even though Fire Mastery adds +7% fire damage per level and Fireball only adds +5% fire damage per level???

So I went to one of the skill planners out there (the one from D2Items.com), and tested it. I first noticed that if you have no + skills listed, then you get more Meteor impact damage for:
1 FB
20 Meteor
20 FM

But if you add +12 skills, then you get more Meteor impact damage for:
20 FB
20 Meteor
1 FM
(But you lose out on the damage per second area of effect damage)

There was a similar situation for Charged Bolt, although like mentioned above, it actually seems to be best to split the skills between both the mastery and the synergy while in the sweet spot instead of concentrating on one or the other (and I can't remember if the + skills was on or still at zero when I tested this).

So my question is this: How can this be? Does the synergy damage get added in after the Fire Mastery???

So that in the first example (+0 skills), the Fire Mastery adds more since it is 7% vs 5%, but in the second example (+12 skills), the Fireball is better since it adds its +5% after the +12 skilled Fire Mastery adds in first???

Has anyone verified the actual game damage to the skill planner theoretical damage in different scenarios? Or is there a flaw in the way the skill planner is adding up the damage?

Because if the skill planner is correct, then you guys have opened my eyes to a whole new level of skill planning that I didn't realize before. This could make finding the optimum level of skills a very tedious task, especially if + skills items have as drastic an impact as they seem to.

WitchCoven