Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Storm Assassin (PvM)

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Dimmu Borgir, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu Borgir IncGamers Member

Storm Assassin (PvM)

Here I am with yet another build. I'll lay the concept down like usual, and I have questions afterwards.

The main purpose of this build is to have rediculously high, pure lightening damage.

So naturally these skills are needed:

20 Phoenix Strike
    20 Claws of Thunder

I don't want to invest points in other Phoenix Strike synergies because you only want the lightening damage.

That means you have about 60 points left to put into other skills.

So I'm going to add another maxed, good investment, Shadow Master.

20 Phoenix Strike
    20 Claws of Thunder
    20 Shadow Master

But what finisher to use? This WILL be a dual claw assassin because its faster to build up charges with two weapons. However, I've read the Phoenix Striker guide and I'm not entirely sure Dragon Claw is the best finisher. Your damage will be from released charges, not the actual strike, so all things taken into consideration, I'm going to recommend Dragon Flight.

Dragon Flight gives you the ability to release your charges on any enemy you desire, smack in the middle of a crowd, in an instant, from any position pretty much.

20 Phoenix Strike
    20 Claws of Thunder
    20 Shadow Master
    1 Dragon Flight (Again, damage is charges, only 1 point needed)

You're using dual claws, so you need a way to block.

20 Phoenix Strike
    20 Claws of Thunder
    20 Shadow Master
    1 Dragon Flight
    20 Weapon Block

Get yourself about 10ish Burst of Speed to build charges faster. You will not invest in Fade. Put the rest in Claw Mastery, I guess.

As for my questions:

1. I'm thinking two Jade Talons for the resists and +skills, since you're not using them for their damage and you don't have Fade. Any better recommendations?

2. Dream Helm. Will this enhance your lightening damage on the released charges, or only be applied to your actual strike that releases them?

3. Does enhanced damage work with released charges? Do any mods for that matter?

2. wildbillboy

wildbillboy Banned

have you considered W/S instead of claws for Finish?

Crecent Moon Runeword or Stormlash work nicely for breaking resists with this type of build, a Stormshield should get you throught PvM.
    You save 20 points in Weapon Block and can do something else with them.
    You could add some more Claw Mastery as the way you are building no hit = no charges and no damage, I would suggest points in Mind Blast to stun them and let you get hits in at least.
    Just suggestions

3. Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu Borgir IncGamers Member

Well I was assuming all the 1-pointers would already be invested in since pretty much all assassins can use them. CoS, MB, DS.

4. wildbillboy

wildbillboy Banned

Cool then - based on the stuff you have listed then I would just add a C-Moon and a good block shield (Sigons might even work) to switch to for the PS/DF hit and not bother with the stats needed for Stormshield/Stormlash,
    This should greatly increase the effect on PS lightning finisher

5. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

You can't use Stormlash or Crescent Moon with Claws of Thunder. All the elemental chargeups require claws to use.

Dragon Flight is slow as a finisher and requires you to be far from your target - you can't use it standing next to a monster. It's primarily a PvP skill and used for mobility, not to kill monsters PvM.

I would suggest using Dragon Tail and some Shadowdancers to release your charges. The fire damage and knockback will prove a very effective way of supplementing your lightning damage and helping you deal with immunes in Hell. Put 20 points in and you'll be very happy with the results. Consider throwing on Fortitude armor to further up the damage, since D-Tail converts physical to elemental. You'll also want a merc wielding Infinity for the Conviction aura, if you can afford it.

Weapon Block only needs to go to 60%, which you can get with +skills equipment without investing too many points. You can freely alternate between Burst of Speed and Fade (1 point each) depending on what you need in a given area.

Good luck!

6. Ava

Ava IncGamers Member

I'm building a char like this one right now, but with just a little change.
    I use dual bartuc and I need 60% ias or a lvl7 BoS to get them to the last ias breakoint. So, I shael'ed my claws, use a Highlord/CatsEye and 20% ias gloves and I use Fade (1 pt). Along with a CoH armor, I have plenty resists, enough ias, +skills and PDR.

I recommend Griffon's with a facet as a helm then. You're a lightning build, right? Just remember the added damage only applies on the first charge of CoT. The -resists work on all. Shako is a good alternative though (or CoA if you're rich).

Oh, and I use Dragon Claw. It's fast and can release charges twice.
    One point in Weapon Block is enough.

I'm currently debating on whether I spend the last skill points in Fists of Fire to get a non-lightning attack, or max Dragon Claw for the physical damage.

7. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

Dream will add damage to every hit you make. A helm will give lvl 15 holy shock. I am not sure that that will do very much for you as you don't have any synergies to increase its damage.