Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Store service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kobold, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kobold

kobold Banned

Store service

In hopes of helping give Dondrei more threads to post in....

I became painfully aware that my dress shoes are in need of updating (read: worn out). At lunch, I went to a men's store to check out the selection. I found a pair that I really liked (although more than I had intended to spend on them), but ended up walking out of the store within a couple of minutes, as the lady working there was pretentious.

My question: does the level of service effect whether or not you will buy something?

I would much rather go to a store that seems to care that I'm there. Keep in mind that this has to be in context. Some of the box stores are not and will not be that way, yet I still go in for the cheap prices. There are some things, however, that I want advice/help. If I don't get it, I will go somewhere else.

/rant/rambling

2. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I agree with you there, I've left/bought more because of service at many a store.

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Yes, very much so.

I have walked out of both Lowes and Home Depot before because of poor customer service.

I almost walked out of the Best Buy near me a couple days ago because service there is so bad. Three employess standing there laughing and talking. When I walked up to ask a question you'd have thought I was walking in on a sewing circle. And at the two Best Buys near me, rarely do they have enough people doing checkout. Sorry but I am not going to stand in a line of 15 people when only when person is doing checkout.

4. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

The thing is, they really don't care if you do walk out.

5. Spellsinger

Spellsinger IncGamers Member

Yes! good lord why cant Best Buy put more people on the checkouts. I have to wait in line every time I have gone there. Why have 25 checkouts if you only use 2 of them?

And yes I will walk out of a store and never go back if they act as they did in the OP.

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I most certainly have walked out of places. I do that quite often in the grocery store. There are 20+ checkouts and only 2 open? I leave my cart and go somewhere else. I go agree, Best Buy is horrid to shop at. I have been to Lowe's before where I could not find one blessed person on the floor. Since I am not that adept in home improvement things, I need assistance. I have also completely lost my temper with Dell and its "customer service". You ask a question they don't know the answer to, they just hang up.

To balance it out, I do like Target and Border's. Both always have people around and do not hesitate to open additional registers if they get backed up.

I'm sorry, but I work in the service industry and make what they do. I would never thing of treating customers like that. I perform my job like I demand to be treated.

7. kobold

kobold Banned

I was going to say something along the lines of this being a benefit of being mature/understanding the situation from both perspectives, as I tend to receive poor service from teens. It doesn't fit today's encounter, as the lady at the store was ~40.

I would love to (but never have) go back to a place where you receive poor service to let them know where you went to get something.

Along those lines, when we moved this year, we initially approached the first real estate agent that we had a few years ago. She seemed uninterested in our business (very slow in getting back to us) so we found someone else. Once she realized what had happened, she was falling over herself to try to get us back. Perhaps a legitimate misunderstanding, but she missed out on a nice little commission.

8. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i work at sears and we are required to acknowledge anybody within 10 feet of us.

9. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Sometimes I wonder if this is a US issue. When I go to Toronto, I usually look wanky, either from a long ride up there or from long hours of walking. I go into Northbound and I am catered to. I suppose if you think you can afford Northbound, you usually can. They are so great in that store. So happy to bring you a different size or offer to hem/alter any garment you buy. Usually when I go to Toronto, I wish the clerks would leave me alone :).

10. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Most definitely. I've done this at multiple jewelry stores. It seems that many places think that young people aren't worth being nice to.

I also walked out of one place because of how they were treating another prospective customer. Two saleswomen in a row skipped over a couple black men who were there well before me to wait on me. I had just come from work and was still dressed up, so I assume they thought I would be a better commission, but that's just wrong. I was even standing behind the two guys.

I also have a habit of pointing out pricing mistakes that stores have. Some places will fix things immediately, other places won't. A target near me accidentally put the price of all floor models of everything at $0.01. I told an assistant manager he should probably fix that, and he told me that they weren't for sale and that's just how they're displayed, so it didn't matter. I then promptly collected a dozen things worth about $400. I told the checker each thing was listed at 1 cent, and he called the manager. The manager actually understood the problem and told the checker to ring me up for 12 cents. I then told the manager that I didn't actually want any of the items, I was just pissed at the assistant manager for refusing to correct the problem. Fun stuff.

There was also a McDonald's I went to that was ringing up all chicken sandwiches 40 cents above the menu price. It took talking to two assistant managers and calling the owner at home before I got anyone to understand that they were committing fraud. It's amazing how many people think that the register price is the only price that matters.

11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The level of service I get usually depends on how I'm dressed. I do all my major Christmas shopping wearing my suit, vest, polish my boots, clean my hat, etc. I look like I have money and get better service because of it. The time I save by dressing better is more than made up for in faster service.

12. thegiantturtle

Fixed it for ya.

13. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

I like slumming it when shopping.

That way if I get good service it's because they give everyone good service not because I look like a good commission.

Weeds out some dishonesty at least.

-D2netDad

14. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Agreed. I was in a car/bike shop getting new extra lights on my bike.
    I live in Northwest of Holland, but I'm originaly from the Southeast. Anything south is considered peasants, but still. I hadn't said a word to the staff, not that they noticed me, too busy yapping at each other about "the stupid stud party they were gonna have in the south with those silly peasants"
    I used a very typical word for exactly that part of the country they were talking about, and walked out, after I put the lights on the counter.

15. kobold

kobold Banned

Amen. If I need something at a store, I'll go as I am. If they don't like it, too damn bad. It could be anything from a business suit to ripped jeans, t-shirt and covered in grease/sawdust. It's silly for a person to try to gauge a person by how they're dressed.

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

No you didn't. The few extra minutes it takes is well worth giving the sales pukes the impression that I have money to spend.

No salesman worth the name is going to take care of the guy in ripped jeans and dirty t-shirt if he can take care of the guy in the suit. The guy in the suit simply looks like he has more money to spend than the filthy guy. It's all about the commission.

This works in any situation where a commission is on the line. Try it our one day. Go to a car dealership in dirty clothes and talk to them about that $60,000 car. Then do it at a different dealership wearing a suit. The difference in customer service is amazing. Simply because there's no way the guy who's filthy can afford the car. Filthy guys don't have jobs that pay well enough.

Whether or not that's the truth is irrelevant. That's the impression you give.

As to the origional subject at hand, no the customer service doesn't change if I buy or not. I'm there to buy. Whether or not I tell the clerk to go :censored: himself and go get somebody that knows his arse from a hole in the ground depends on the level of service. That said they don't want me back in Best Buy.

17. thegiantturtle

I understand what you meant to say. I just fixed the words so that they lined up with what you meant. Sheesh.

18. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Whoops! That's what I get for seeing what I thought I saw and not what I actually saw.

I've been a bad boy. Send me to zodi's room :sink2:

19. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Wow, Best Buy is really taking some hits in this thread. I thought perhaps it was just the local ones by me that are bad.

Say what? You're confusing me.

20. kobold

kobold Banned

I know what you're trying to say here, but you're contradicting yourself. The statement that someone who is dressed in dirty clothes can't afford a $60,000 car (or anything else for that matter) is a crass assumption.
    I agree that this is typically the way it is. I'm just *****ing that it shouldn't be that way.