Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

stop dying you lousy merc

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by CoonerTheRed, Apr 8, 2004.

1. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

stop dying you lousy merc

ok, so my sorc is having an easy time of running hell andy now, the only problem is that my might merc keeps on dying. (went might for leech... hf wasn't that helpful as i'm a cold sorc, and i figured more damage meant decent leech meant more alive merc, plus i want him to do some hell countess runs). Anyway, he's at lvl 79, but his gear is crappy (hwanin's bill, tal's mask, ultimate in crappy armour... rare something with decent life and that's it). He seems to die almost every run of andy and he can't take out the countess and her crowd before he eats it. I know he needs a better pole, I'm working on that. But what should I be looking for in armour (at a decently cheap price) that would keep him alive? Thanks for the suggestions...

2. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

i wouldnt go for might anyway, but thats just me. even with said merc, he doesnt kill that quickly to justify using him. either hf or def definitely is better.

i find lionheart to be a decent armor. coupled with tals mask this should give your merc max res. or if you can afford it, the standard salad/conner merc setup of kiras, amn'ed reapers troll, ga also works well.

3. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

I like to throw Duriel's Shell on my mercs. Nice resists, +life, Cannot Be Frozen :thumbsup: Lionheart would be good also.

4. Afro AmeriZON

Afro AmeriZON IncGamers Member

Keep the tals mask, get a bonehew for pgems, socket it with 2 shaels. If your merc needs more str to equip the bonehew then get griswolds armor and socket it with p amthysts until he gets the str he needs...probably at lvl 79 it'll need 2 then use the 3rd socket for a Pruby for life. When he gets enough str to use the bonehew without the added from gris's armor switch it for something better. My merc uses this and almost never dies. This build is something zappa told me to do and it works and can all be aquired with Pgems. :thumbsup: Now I just have to find a way to keep my main characters alive. :scratch: Luckily I haven't lost my lvl88 assassin YET.

5. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I still don't know why, but Andariel must be the single one monster giving mercs the most problems. One of my Sorcs' Merc is equipped with Shaeled Reaper's, Raled Andariel's and a Gladiators Bane and still dies quickly to Andariel if I do not pay attention. That said, Andariels Visage is probably the best item for a merc if you want to run Andariel. What a coincidence :)

6. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Tals mask, Bonehew and Dury shell is a nice cheap combo. If you ae going to use a Bonehew you'll need a str boost to make it work.

Spirit Forge armour is also servicable and has +str and 2 sockets to boost str or resistances.
    Dury has Str on it.
    Griz armour is cheap and has str and sockets.
    Ironpelt isn't bad.
    Glad Bane is nice.

Prez

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Mine is Defiance

Full Plate of Whale Perfect with 4 Topz (go ahead and drool you duelers)
    The Pole with MF and raising the dead
    Crown of Theives

It is all about tactics, dont let the merc fight!!! Get in Andys face, static then use the room and tactically teleport to keep Merc from standing toe to toe with her. Mine still dies but not often, and if i gave him a big D Armor and better rez i bet he would never die.

If you just dont have the pole for him then hunt for a 5 sock and Honor it. Honor works fine for a Merc, but tactics still will be what keeps him alive the most.

8. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

If Andy is your primary target, then you should go with Andy's Visage (Ral it) when you reach 83. Plus Duriel's Shell (CBF) + Hone Sundan with ShaelShaelAmn. Interestin that the equipments come from the first two evil bosses.

9. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

For andy, venom ward. Then drop an antidote pot on him if you want to boost him to 85% resist poison.

Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Since you're a sorc you don't need to worry about killing speed. When I used to do andy runs with my javazon I used to have my merc do the killing with shael, amn, amn hone sudan and guilliams face -- and I'd life-tap andy so he could leech. Just before she died, I'd go to town and re-equip my merc with 4 topaz armor in place of venom ward. But for your merc, you might just want to leave venom ward on him.