Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

stone vs. fortitude

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by darkelf512, Jun 27, 2005.

1. darkelf512

darkelf512 IncGamers Member

stone vs. fortitude

wut's better for my might merc, a stone or a fortitude?

thx

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

depends.
    Do you need your merc to kill stuff, or can you kill on your own?
    Fortitude gives him more killingpower, but Stone makes him tougher and harder to kill. Its your choice really.
    I usually go for Stone, since most chars I make can kill on their own.

3. darkelf512

well, this is for my bone/summon hybrid necro. i'm planning on having the merc use pride and an eth andy helm. my skellies usually provide most of the dmg, i just need the merc to stay alive and provide the might and the concentration aura.....so stone would be better in this case?

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That, or something with damage reduce. Like shaftstop or leviathan.

5. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Forget Fortitude if you're going to use Pride. Pride has very low base damage, so the effect of Fortitude will be minimal.

6. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

The function of this merc is not to kill things but to give your summons two auras (conc and might). He is absolutely safe with all these skellys around, so I wold go for +all skills items and better resists. Andy´s face with righ jewel in can be very nice - especially eth. I would go for eth +2 Arkaine soceted +15 res all *** (if I could chose ;)). On lower lvls Viper or Duriel is just fine. Fortitude gives you nothing.

7. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Id use Bramble on that merc, giving your skellies up to lvl 21 thorns which combined with amp damage would speed your killing power significantly.

8. darkelf512

iono if bramble would be that useful, sincei have iron maiden as a curse already. besides i believe that thorns dmg is reduced in pvp, am i right on that? correct me if i'm wrong

9. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

You never mentioned pvp until now, so noone had any idea that's what you wanted. Here in the statistics forum, we tend to assume people are talking about PvM unless otherwise stated. (There's a PvP forum for a reason.)

You do have Iron Maiden, but you can't Maiden and Amp your foe at the same time.

I'm not sure, but I don't believe thorns has any special reduction. (Do note that the damage will be subject to the pvp penalty twice -> once to figure out the damage dealt to the character with the thorns aura, and then once on the calculated thorns damage)

10. darkelf512

hmm..good point. thx for all your imput guys, i think i'm gonna go with a +2 valor with a res jewel, best all around for my merc i think

11. YellowDyeNo5

YellowDyeNo5 IncGamers Member

Also note that fortitude essentially gives more defense than stone after the pretty chilling armor bonus, as well as higher resists. Chilling armor applies to the merc's total defense, not just the armor's. Stone's FHR is nice at 60%; but I'd imagine with the frequency that your merc gets hit, it won't be too important. If we assume price isn't a consideration, fortitude (eth fortitude even) would be a much nicer armor. Also consider that in PVP, the penalty for mercs (IIRC) is only 1/2.

12. monte cristo

monte cristo IncGamers Member

I think I read somewhere here a long time ago that thorns pvp is 1/10. But why.. I don't know, so it might be just my memory playing tricks on me.

13. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i vote for bramble/thorns too.

14. AzaZaz

AzaZaz IncGamers Member

if PVP is the case I'd switch off pride, and go for a heavy hitting wpn/fortitude, and find a way to incorporate beast into your build, beit on your necro or making an iron golem of it. That way your merc is now swinging with fana/might and a high dmg wpn, versus conc/might low dmg wpn. PVP that merc is a large source of dmg, not just your skels, dont underestimate him.

Cheers