Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Still unable to connect,problem narrowed down

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by twigggy, Oct 9, 2006.

1. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

Still unable to connect,problem narrowed down

i basicly figured out what the problem is me and my brother are currently trieing to fix this...basicly, when i unpluged my router, and drew the cabal directly into my computer, the game worked, of course, i cant keep it like that because there are 2 other computers besides mine that the router goes to....but when i pluged it back in thru the router, i couldnt connect to east anymore, so basicly what im saying the problem lies within the router and its ability to connect to that specific Ip adress or port, or something like that, if you have any ideas or thoughts, please let me know, thnx again.

However, its now a few days after and we still werent able to fix it....we think it has something to do with the Virtual IP or something, we traced the ingoing and outgoing data when trying to connect to USEAST and west, when connecting to the west, it says we have sent the info, and we recieved back and buncha ips and ports, but when we try this for USEAST, we can send the data, but get nothing back....Supposedly it has something to do with blizzard's settings for routers on their side, i have sent them an email about this, because theres nothing else i can really do.

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

If it had something to do with Blizzard (or more specifically AT&T, who host the USWest and USEast realms) then you should be having the same problem without the router connected (and alot of other people would have trouble connecting as well).

What router do you use? It's weird that removing the router from the network allows you to connect to the USEast realm, while keeping it on prevents you from doing so (and yet allows you to connect to USWest).

What is your setup exactly? Is your router seperate from your broadband modem? Is the modem hooked directly up to a computer (most likely via USB cable) or is it connected to the router itself?

3. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

my modem is setup like the White Box (cable modem) is connected thru a USB wire that goes into the Linksys router. From the router goes a buncha USB cords that go around the house into another computers. And yes, unplugging my Router, and going directly from cable modem box to Computer works, yet when im under my router....i can connect to every server except east.

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Does this same problem happen on each computer on the network? If you were to peform a trace route to USEast on each computer that shares the Internet connection, do all of them fail (ie, do not reach attens.net)? If they do, does plugging the modem directly into them succeed?

I'm just wondering if there's a problem with a hosts file on one of the computers.

Alternatively, you could try to unplug every computer from the router except your own, and try again. So in this case, it would only be modem --> router --> your computer.

5. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

yeah if i directly connect any computer to the modem, and unplug the router, it will work, i have not tried unplugging other computers except my own from the router, and trying it then, but it prolly wouldnt work...how would i go about checking the host files? Dont gimmie the blizzard support site to check my host files because over there it just says to search...and theres a buncha host files that appear.....so if theres an easier way to do it lemme know

6. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

It would depend on your operating system. If it's Windows XP, then the host file should be stored in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc". If it's Windows 98, I believe it should be in c:\windows. If it's Windows NT, it should be in C:\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc.

In either case, the hosts file has no extension, and should be opened in notepad to view it's contents.

7. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

yeah i just checked my host files...in the host file i didnt find the term battle.net anywhere....i dunno what else to try...ive tryed to forward 6112 and 4000 in the linksys router....that didnt work either...i dunno what else to try. Also i sent an email to blizzard but they have yet to respond

8. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Well, the problem I have getting my head around is why you are able to connect to USWest, and not USEast with the router on the network, but after removing the router from the equation, everything works fine.

Now, I don't have much experience with a USB network setup (since it sounds like you have a USB router), so I'm trying to examine it from a cat5 network.

The thing that I'm not 100% clear on whether the router is standing alone, or whether it's attached to a computer. In other words, whether the computers share the internet through another computer, or whether they all connect outside directly through the router/modem, and do not need any other computer ot be turned on in order to have Internet access.

I guess what I'm asking is that if you were to unplug all other computers from the network to a point where your computer was the only one connected to the router (though keep the modem connected to the router), would you still have Internet access.

9. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

Okay i just unplugged every single computer thats plugged into the network (my bros and my laptop) and only my single computer was pluged into the router....USWEST worked but USEAST did not...so yes i did have internet connection but it did not solve the problem...

Lets recap -
    The only thing that allows me thus far to entire the USEAST realm is directly plugging in one computer to the cable modem, which takes the router out of the equation, nothing else works...and i dunno whats left to try unless you have any other ideas.

10. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

So, basically since no computer on the network is capable of connecting to USEast behind the router, yet are capable of connecting to USWest, then it's definately wierd. The problem would appear to lie with the router (especially if none of the computers are capable of connecting) but I cannot see how it would, unless somewhere on the router the info for USEast has specifically been blocked for one reason or another.

You mentioned that the router is a linksys, but do you know what model it is? Also what brand is your modem?

11. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

the Router is a BEFSR41 Linksys router, and the modem is a
    Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable modem...

Like i said ive done port forwarding and port triggering and i disabled the Blocking of WAN at the router settings, nothings worked, ive tried this.

4000~4000
    6112~6112
    6113~6119

those are the diablo 2 ports that need to be open to play the game on realm, that didnt work so i did this.

0~65535

that is the biggest possible range opening every single port possible, and that didnt work either....so the problem lies sumwhere else, inside the router

12. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I doubt it's a port issue, because if it were you'd be unable to connect to any realm. Routers are capable of more things than just port forwarding. The problem would need to be specific to USEast's server address. I don't know much about your router, but is it possible to block IP addresses in there somewhere?

13. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

I dont know if there are Ip blocks....ive never tried...ive never seen any info on Ips...just ports...where would i check for blocked ips, in my router settings?

Lets say i did find a setting where i can unblock IP's , which ip am i unblocking? there are alot of ips that work with USEAST....

14. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I'd be more concerned about any IP that is being blocked that you do not know about. By default, no IP's should be blocked by the router. The only entries in there are the ones that you should be aware of, so if any look like they shouldn't be there, then I'd probably make note of them, and remove them (you can always re-add them if you wish).

In other words, it wouldn't really be a matter of finding the IP address/s associated with USEast, but rather a matter of making sure that the only entries that are there are ones that you are aware of (and subsequently, that you know should not be associated with USEast).

15. twigggy

twigggy IncGamers Member

i personally dont know how to check for blocked IPS, and when i asked my brother he didnt seem to know how to either....but ill go into the linksys router settings and check for ips later on myself.

16. Baynson

Baynson IncGamers Member

This problem seems to sum up the problem I am having at the moment but gets a little weirder in that, on 2 pc's in my home there is no longer any battle-net connection on any realm, either connected direct or through the router that was working fine. We have been able to connect via dial-up to all realms, how strange is that. Two nights ago this happened while I was rushing a pally on one pc with a char on the other. I do this often as well as mule. Two cd keys are used and no third party hacks. By-the-way, I am still able to connect to the internet as normal, DSL or dial-up. Just D2 has been effected, been through all the B-net stuff and not luck.

Any help would be great. Thanks