Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stigmata (Gospels of Saint Thomas)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BleedBlack, Feb 12, 2004.

1. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

Stigmata (Gospels of Saint Thomas)

Hello there...

Well, I'm posting cause I need come help finding a good website that displays information, clips, and other things on the Gospels of Saint Thomas, that are talked about in the 1999 movie Stigmata.

Yesterday, I watched Stigmata, and attempted to information on the gospels and even stigmata itself...but so far I've only been able to find areas that review the movie and places to purchase books containing the Gospels.

Any help, or information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and, what did you all of you think of the movie (for those of you who've seen it)? I thought it was an okay that did a fair job at portraying some of the evils religion (particularly catholocism in the movie) can cause.

Thank you.

*Also, feel free to debate the views of the movie and scrolls.

2. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

I'm an atheist and certainly no theological scholar, but aren't the Gospels of Thomas considered heretical by some Christians?

Of course, some have suggested that Thomas was removed from the Bible by the Romans because it said a Christian doesn't have to attend church to be close to God (Romans preferred the level of control offered by hierarchical structures, which this teaching would have bypassed).

3. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

In all respecet...what hasn't been condemed as heresy throughout the history of religion?

Now I may be wrong (actually theres a strong possiblility that I am) but my understanding of the gospels is that they're scrolls supposedly written in the hand of jesus himself that state that the kingdom of god is within yourself and not in mansions of stone and wood. Now, I understand that these at somepoint in time were declared 'heresy' by the Catholic church. And one of the points of this thread was to see if anyone could help me find information on why the scrolls were declared 'heresy'. I am someone who for one, believes that you donnot have to go to church to worship the lord in your own way. As far as I'm concerned religion causes far to much trouble, just look at the past and the way the world is today (better stop here tho, this is a arguement for another day :D ).

Also, I for one belive that the catholic church as too much power, and to claim these scrolls 'heresy' in order for them to keep the level of power they hold...is easily believeable to me, hence why this situation from the movie Stigmata intrigued me sooo much.

Once again any information that anyone provides will greatly help me, I am still searching but my attempts haven't been too good so far...

Also I am a rather religiously confused person who is attempting to find a faith that suits him...so if in my 'soul searching' I managed to offend anyone...I assure you it was unintentional.

Thank you

4. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

5. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

6. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

If you've read a few other threads, you would know that I was a catholic while growing up. I studied the bible, went to sunday school, first communion, church, ect. Now, as far as religion and the church go, my stance is this:

- I know, without a doubt, because the possibility is too great to be otherwise, that written proof, albiet scrolls or writing anywhere, has been found to disprove the validity of religion. I also believe such records were found long ago, and that church destroyed the records to save face. I don't think the church has a whole lot of power, per se, but what I imagine is the following.

a) Man finds proof religion does not exist.
    b) Man takes proof to nearest church.
    c) Church reads through, verifications are made.
    d) Church seizes item, gets rid of the person who found it (and I do not put this above the church).
    e) Church goes on as usual.

No matter how you look at it, anything against the church is seen as blasphemy, no matter how factual it may be. I love being an atheist. No church, no praying, no fear of God... I live my life, when things are down I don't look to the heavens because I fix them myself, I don't go around preaching meaningless crap to people who wouldn't change their religion no matter how hard I tried, and I don't have a sticker on the back of my car that reads: Real Men Love Jesus. Yeah, being a homosexual is really being a man.

:rant:

7. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Most homosexuals I know are more manly than you...

8. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

I was really hoping for something more offensive from you, Aynee. Really, I was.

And I didn't mean that in serious context. In all honesty I know for a fact that being a homosexual does not make you any less of man. I just thought it was funny that religious people, who are so afraid of homosexuality, feel the need to "love Jesus" and claim that if you don't, you aren't a real man. And Aynee, just for future reference, you can kiss my ***. :)