Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Steam vs Bnet vs Retail

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Risingred, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Steam vs Bnet vs Retail

Wondering what you guys would make of this. Do you think that Blizzard keeping their digital sales solely to bnet will end up hurting them in the long run?

CVG had an interview with a guy who was very outspoken about how retail seemingly is trying to ruin pc gaming through incompetence, and I'm inclined to agree with him. He has a wealth of experience behind him and runs the second largest publisher in Europe.

Here's a quote:

It seems that Blizzard doesn't have much issue with retailers (in the United States, at least). Pre-ordering the standard edition of a Blizzard game is never necessary as they'll be fully stocked, although the value of pre-ordering a CE is questionable.
    However, that's just Blizzard, and most publishers aren't allowed that kind of shelf space. I suppose we have D2, WC3, and WoW to thank for that. But what about steam? Especially with the fact that you have to have a bnet account, now. They don't run sales, really. Every now and then they'll take five bucks off of a battlechest, maybe. There's no "battle.net client" to expose you to the few other games they have. Seems they'd be better off distributing on steam, their "brand awareness" aside.

2. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

Re: Steam vs Bnet vs Retail

They most likely won't ever sell through steam as they will have to give up some portion of content control and they'd have to adhere to Valve's set of rules and regulations regarding the service. I'm sure financials play a huge part of it as well, with EA's Origins project I'm sure Activision will have their own sales client coming down the road with B.net integrated into it.

Interesting read, I don't think you'll see any changes in the way video games get sold in retail though. The profits from a digital sale will always be higher because there is no production/packaging/shipping that cuts into the product margin. A retail chain usually makes 10-15% margin on a new video game. I would prefer to buy games digitally so I don't have to worry about disks missing and where I put that key code, etc but I love all the little extras that come in the CE's so I'm torn.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

as far as i am concerned as long as i can buy a game at a store i will. i rather have the disc. what i miss is being able to browse for pc games in a game store, its nothing but wall to wall used wii,ps3, or xbox games now

4. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

You know the part where he recommends getting King's Bounty games? Doooo eeet!!!

If anything, battle.net 2.0 is designed to make sure you are 100% aware of the few other games they have. Steam has the disadvantage of having a billion of non-valve games to distract you from Valve games.

I fully expect humongous Diablo 3 advertisements within the SC2 version of the battle.net interface.

5. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

Yea I'm also a traditionalist in that I try to buy retail when I can. The whole box and manual and extras that come with it is part of the buying experience for me and I try to hold onto it. Heck I didn't get the StarCraft 2 Collector's Edition but I still went retail for the regular edition. Did the same for Wrath of the Lich King, will probably do the same for Cataclysm if I ever *shivers* go back to WoW, and of course will do so for Diablo 3 and any future Blizzard title ever.

As for Steam, I do use it, but I use it for 3 things only. First and foremost is that I buy any VALVe games through there, as VALVe's games were not part of my tradition buying retail so I feel no worse buying digital. Second, Steam is where I try to buy indie games (its where I got Torchlight) and other cheap one offs. Third and lastly, its also where I go to buy or re-buy old games (especially if they're on super sale or with extra content). Through this I got the entire GTA series up to San Andreas for $7, Oblivion GOTY edition with ALL DLC for $20, the EA generation of C&C games for only $30 and Star Wars: KoToR for only $5. All of these games I once owned but didn't anymore.

As for Blizzard on Steam, never in a million years. In my opinion VALVe is pretty much Blizzard's biggest competition on the PC market, and as EA is learning and fixing with Origin, you don't go to your competitors for help.

6. ancient

ancient IncGamers Member

I believe that with Bnet, Blizzard has no need for Steam. Also, I will probably buy the game from retail.

7. Redgar

Redgar IncGamers Member

I really prefer buying the actual disk. I have bought a few games on steam but I just like having the game on disk. I think blizz could make some more money by putting it on steam but i don't think they will ever use steam or any other third party software to sell their games.

8. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

If Blizzard sold their games on steam I would wager the sale of their games would go up. The more places you have your games the more chances for people to see them and buy them.

9. Yab

Yab IncGamers Member

That's true.

Personaly I prefer digital download because I never know what to do with the boxes and almost never read game manuals :p

I guess I will buy Diablo 3 at Blizzard Online game store because it will be faster (for me, in my country games are almost always dalayed at stores because of bad logistics).

Oh, when we are talking about online game distribution - I prefer Direct2Drive over Steam, they got better prices and more often give discounts.

10. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

I don't know if this is true or not, regardless, D2D can't beat Steam's holiday sales =P

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i am alot like axe here when its comes to digital. i will buy old games that i may have missed or want to buy again cause i lost/sold/broke the disc. my most recent one was oblivion, again like axe i got the GOTY (which has all downloadables) for 20 bucks, i got it from D2D though.

also got torchlight through D2D but i didnt pay for that. a friend wanted to play with me so he bought it. i tried my best to get into that game but i could not standit for longer than a week.

also i too like the box art. i had my D2CE box displayed for a few years, actually i think i quit the game before the box came down. i am also sure that everyone here who played D1 remembers reading the manual, i know i actually enjoyed that manual a lot

12. BelialsWrath

BelialsWrath IncGamers Member

I personally would prefer buying from retail. I don`t like downloading from sites even though its convienent, you never know when something might happen to your computer and all that you have could be deleted. Ive had it happen before, I was like ffuuuuu!

I`d rather have a physical copy of a video game in my hands that way I can always reinstall it in case my pc derps up.

13. craezyjim

craezyjim IncGamers Member

I bought SC2 from Blizzard online after I saw how poor the retail copy was. There was only a box, a CD, and a card stock sheet with a friend code on it. No manual, no extra lore. Very disappointing.

I'll have to wait and see what's in the D3 box. If there's no game manual (again), I won't bother.

14. Risingred

Precisely. The battle.net interface itself in SC2 and WoW leaves no room for exposure to other games outside of a banner or something. Steam is a fully-functional database with related games or "If you liked X check out..." types of functions.

Huh? There was a manual.

15. Kryptonic

Kryptonic IncGamers Member

Don't forget the awesome Jim Raynor Wanted poster notepad! I was also very disappointed there was no poster or manual... The manual is the biggest reason why I try to buy all my games retail. That, and I like to have all the boxes to show off my collection :thumbup: I still flip through the old WC2 manual from time to time just because the artwork is fantastic!

EDIT
    "Huh? There was a manual."

Mine definitely did not come with a manual. I did have a quickstart guide though... which was very short and useless to anyone who has ever installed a pc game before. granted the quickstart guide does have some images and story elements in it except IT WASN'T PRINTED IN COLOR!!! I diddnt realise blizz really needed to cut down their printing costs like that... greedy bastards.

16. Risingred

So I took this for nothing...

[​IMG]

It's still a manual. It had pictures, a lenghty "story so far", game instructions, etc. It's also on the disc or otherwise inside the game client.

17. Stormus

Stormus IncGamers Member

In my opinion, I think Blizzard should reach how to Steam. Steam is a wonderful gaming application with a very user-friendly interface. Every day they have daily deals (50% + off). [If you don't believe me, "like" steam on facebook and they publish links to said deals; I just got Left 4 dead 2 for $6.80].

While most of us will get Diablo III the day it comes out, there are many people who, perhaps, will not purchase this game until the price drops. I think that if Steam ran a daily special (or Holiday special) sometime down the road, with Diablo 3, 33% off (or w/e) it will bring in people who would otherwise be skeptical about purchasing the game. With new fans cycling in, the game will only grow. The larger the community, the more competitive the gameplay, and better Diablo will become.

That's my take, and first post here :thumbup: !

18. Uldyssian

Uldyssian IncGamers Member

I like having all my Blizzard games under their own singular place within Blizzard's servers and retail space. For me Blizzard games are in their own special section, even above Valve games and it's nice to have them all easily accessible and for sale through Blizzard's own distribution system.

I'm ok with B.net and not running them through something like Steam.

19. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

I may be a bit of a fuddy-duddy about this, but I just can't sign on to digital copies of goods. I don't buy a whole lot games, but when I do, I want to physically own it. I'm the same with music. I've never bought digital music and likely never will, and I've only bought a handful of digital games because there just wasn't a physical version to buy. I think it also goes back to wanting to feel like I actually own something instead of just the 'permission to use' it. I also have no love for 'cloud computing'. I want my own copies of my own data on my own computer.

That's just me. I recognize the merits of other methods, but it is not for me. I don't think that is likely to ever change.

20. Risingred

I don't have an issue with bnet, really, outside of some changes. But those are irrelevant to actual distribution. Blizzard does very well at distribution.

I'm talking more long-term, the longevity of a game's sales, and how they're put into the hands of gamers, how they're presented in marketing terms.
    There's a lot to be said for bnet, but also for steam as well. There is, regrettably, little positive to be said about pc game distribution in retail stores, though.

I prefer to have a disc as well for various reasons. It's probably my own bit of "fuddy-duddy" after years gaming. But bnet and steam do it properly where you register your game and you have it forever, which is awesome.

Do you have issues getting pc games at retail stores? I've had a huge headache lately. I bought homefront on PC (which was an error on its own) but I actually had to drive to the next city over to a best buy, and they only had one copy. : /