Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Steam Summer Sale!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kitteh, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I wanted to point a game out to people, and though it would be good if others could also make note of any awesome games/deals that they come across :)

So I bought This War of Mine last night (£3.74 at 75% off from £14.99), and I would happily pay the full price. It is a simulation game set in a war zone (Worms style screen), but you play civilian survivors. It has day/night cycles, so during the day you craft/build/trade to maintain your 'home', and at night you go out an scavenge/fight and potentially get raided yourself i guards insufficient.

It is pretty awesome! :D

2. Darkoooo

Darkoooo IncGamers Member

Looking at the reviews I was also thinking of buying This War Of Mine but then I thought it was too depressing, they sucked out all the fun in wars -.-

Nostalgia got the best of me so I bought Worms Revolution and Unreal Tournament: GOTY. DOUBLE KILL! :cool:

Kitteh likes this.
  3. LiquidClear

LiquidClear IncGamers Member

I'm disappointed because my excess spending currency is all in Amazon credit at the moment, and there are all these lovely steam games that I can't use it on :( I'll be bargain hunting in the "Under $5.00" category personally.

Kitteh likes this.
  4. Kitteh

It isn't actually that depressing. I've only played 6 days of it because I had work, but going to play more now. Perhaps it is worse later when people die etc :(

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

What about "60 seconds"? Less depressing? :D

I picked up a few games a while ago which are probably on sale now.
    Bastion is an awesome little game with great voice over and humour
    Where's my helmet is a little platformer that drove me to drink. I like the game but I'm bad at it. :D
    Grandpa's Table is a puzzle game that starts of easy and then .. has you staring at it.
    Darkest Dungeon looked cool, and I hope to get to it shortly. Turn based dungeon crawler with a group of adventurers with different abilities and ranges.

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I like spooky games so I've been mulling over Alien: Isolation and SOMA. The only semi-new release I may splurge on is Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Then again, I'm in the middle of building a new water-cooled gaming rig (which is going to cost me a fortune) so perhaps I shouldn't shop for games until the autumn (or Xmas) sale.

It is indeed very cool but be advised that it's also a very tense and difficult game. The RNG is downright sadistic.

Kitteh likes this.
  7. Kitteh

Haha I love Bastion, haven't played it in ages!

I very nearly bought Goat Simulator, I'm not going to lie :p

8. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Grim Dawn is 25% off. It's a great arpg, so for those who wanted to try it out but haven't, this might be your chance.

I played the Doom demo yesterday. Not only is it great fun, but it also runs surprisingly well if I turn the visual settings down. Not bad, considering I don't even reach the minimum reqs. Since the full game is 40% off now, I'm thinking of buying it. I'll probably end up waiting until later this year though. Wintertime is much better suited for such a dark game, and then I'll have more time to play.

Another game I have been following, is the latest Shadow Warrior from some 3 years ago. It's only 3,49 now, so cheap. Still, even at that low price, it doesn't make much sense to buy it if I don't have the time to play it ... Where can I buy some more hours in a day?

Other interesting games for me: Oddworld: new and tasty, Steamworld Dig and World of Goo

9. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Doom 2016 suffers from stability/CTD issues at the moment. The devs have yet to issue any major patches. The game absolutely rocks but I strongly recommend waiting a few months before grabbing it.

Another game that I love dearly (although the levels are a bit on the linear side)! Don't worry, it goes on sale for $4-5 during every Steam/GOG sale so waiting isn't going to hurt your wallet.

The sequel is scheduled to come out some time this year and it looks positively GLORIOUS! Check out the trailer:

NSFW: Language

10. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I'm still at the "add stuff to my cart that looks interesting" stage of the sale, which turns into "pare this down to something reasonable" on the last couple of days. Some recommendations though:

Since Bastion was mentioned, maybe take a look at Transistor which is made by the same folks. It's a sci-fi Action RPG that has a serious sense of style. My favorite Let's Player did a series on it you can check out to see if you'd be interested (or to just watch instead of pick it up.)

Also a sci-fi ARPG, but not from the Bastion people, is Dex. It's in 2-D and is a side-scroller, so it's got a serious old school vibe to it that struck me as super cool. I picked it up during GoG's sale (it's actually cheaper on Steam now) and am doing a Let's Play on it, if you want to see if it's for you.

As for things currently sitting in my cart: Magicka, Memoria, Life is Strange, Please Don't Touch Anything, The Swapper, Remember Me, Child of Light and Dishonored ... a list which is likely to both grow and shrink by July 4th.

Generally you should try and take a little time just to poke around the sale, but some random rapid-fire standouts either from my experience of just reputation: Tomb Raider (the 2013 one), Hyper Light Drifter, Witcher 3 (or 2, or 1, which are pretty cheap now; I didn't really "get" Witcher 2 after like 20 hours, but it's well thought of in general), Stardew Valley, Undertale, Borderlands 2, Kerbal Space Program, all the Dark Souls, Banished, Rebel Galaxy (which I talked myself out of during the GoG sale but I still recognize it has charm) as well as classics like Half-Life, the Fallouts (they even have the original, if that's your jam), Portal, Deus Ex, Psychonauts, Mass Effect, Morrowind (Oblivion and Skyrim [which has a Special Edition coming out in a few months], too)

T72on1 and Kitteh like this.
  11. Kitteh

Life is Strange, The Swapper and PDTA are added to my list haha I'm hoping that Homesick will get a deal at some point, although I will likely buy that one anyway at some point.

12. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Going to second both Bastion and Transistor. Bastion is much harder to complete (the challenges) but Transistor is fun for the 2 runs you can do through the game. Good music, too. I've got the OST (hummed versions, too) in my playlist.

I plan to eventually get Enter the Gungeon, as well as Chromicon once it's out of early access

13. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

Just buy this and thank me later.

/thread

14. pharphis

I bought that last year and it's actually very difficult. I kind of forgot about it but will play it again eventually :p. I do have a DDR mat as well so I might give that mode another shot

15. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

True, I managed to beat hardcore mode only twice, while Aria mode is literally impossible for me, but I still love this little gem of a game. Speaking of roguelikes, Spelunky is great too, I've spent so many hours playing it I don't even want to tell.

16. pharphis

Spelunky does look really good but I haven'y tried it yet. Some day.

BTW for those who liked bastion/transistor, the third game by those devs will be Pyre. Not much info on it yet but you can throw it on your wishlist for now.

Also, battleblock theater is a lot of fun for both solo and 2 player.

17. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I couldn't get into spelunky, got it a couple years ago. Very well done game though.

The game isn't on sale, and it's in early beta still (but very playable). But check out factorio. Game completely ruined my life for about 3 weeks after I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

i think i'll grab shadowrun and divinity: original sin. but atm i'm into the grim dawn so ...

Kitteh likes this.
  19. Kitteh

My cart is currently at;
    The Swapper
    Outlast
    Please Don't Touch Anything
    Life is Strange (Ep1)
    The Talos Principle

20. Kitteh

So, I have added ME: Shadow of Mordor to my list, right at the top actually. Has anybody played it before? It looks awesome and I've checked it out a few times before.