Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Staying poison free in throne?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Cyrax, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Staying poison free in throne?

Allright, this has been going through my mind for the last few days so i decided i'd see if anyone here knows a solution.

I think everyone here is familiar with the second wave Baal sends you. Whenever you get up to fight the mummies you get poisoned. Luckily for me i use a ranged char (lightsorc) so i don't have to get that close. Downside is i still get hit by the invisible poisonous cloud that hangs around them. I know i could take a potion and be done with it (and i do). But i find it very annoying to get poisoned and buy more antidotes (both for me and the merc).

So my question is, does anyone know a place in the throneroom where you can stand close enough to get the mummies and yet stay clear of the poison.

I've tried many different positions. Even to the point where i only saw the closest mummies and the rest was offscreen. Some positions seem to work better than others, but none are 100% poisonfree. This got me thinking the cloud was like a circle around either the boss or the entire pack, but sometimes i didn't get poisoned when standed relatively close while i did turn green even when they were almost offscreen. So by observation i'd say that's not how it works.

Atm i'm (most of the time) hugging the second pillar (bottom row in screen, second counting from Baal). That keeps me out of trouble i think like 60% of the time. But are there any better places or is it just impossible to avoid?

2. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Re: Staying poison free in throne?

IIRC, Achmel has a type of auto-poison. I can't explain how it works, but I get poisoned 50-66 percent of the time I run Baal. How to deal with it: I always carry antidotes in slot 3 of my belt (health/full rejuv/antidote/mana is my setup) and use it on myself. I rarely use it on my merc unless he is going into the third wave with low life (then its antidote + health pot). My Baal-running mercs run GA + Kira's, so they have 90% poison res and it rarely significantly affects them. Mercs that run Andy's Visage (Infinity + Fort + Andy's Visage is common these days) will have stacked poison res and also have 85% max res.

EDIT: Greater Mummy in Act 5. Act 5 SuperUniques (no stats on Achmel).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I too would be interested in the answer to this, I currently visit Malah every run for two antidotes. Not a massive issue but its a bit tedious if I forget and need to TP out to get a fast cure.

4. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

I don't bother avoiding the poison. My primary goal is to keep the Ancients off the staircase, so I stand there and force them to spawn below me. So most of the time (but not always) I eat some poison. I top off my belt at Mala before each run anyway, so another 2-3 antidotes is nothing. It's worked for the last 5000 runs, anyway.

As a light sorc if I were trying to avoid the poison, I would stay half a screen or more out, straight down (or southwest, however you think about it) from the stairs. There's definitely a range on the poison bug. I always assumed it was just a lingering, invisible cloud. Don't go anywhere near where Achmel dies for a while.

5. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I agree. 10 chars.

6. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

There definately is somekind of range involved. If you stand far enough away you won't get hit 100% of the time. Only problem is that in those cases i'm standing so far away i can't see half the monsters i'm firing at.

My merc is also using GA + kira's so he might do fine in most cases but i just don't like to take the chance. Such a hassle to go back, ressurect and BO him. So i just use one of the antidotes in my belt (row 4 for me).

I just hate to use them because it makes me visit Malah. If it weren't for antidotes i wouldn't have to visit her at all (saving me a bit of time and annoyance every run).

7. Albatross

Albatross IncGamers Member

I remember reading about this some time ago on the Amazon Basin forums. Achmel actually has some sort of poison aura.. I'm not sure is that true, but it does seem to work here since auras in diablo 2 aren't circles, in fact, I think nothing radius related is a circle. They are star shaped. That is why you can't static some monster with a low level static field when you turn to left, but can when you are facing it (just an example, I'm not sure if the star is oriented that way).

Taking the star shaped poison aura in consideration I found this strategy to be at least 90% reliant.

For sorcs and enigma users (almost everyone now eh?). Position your merc here with teleport.

Walk to this point.

Unleash divine fury of the elements. You are not poisoned, but the mers is. Depending on gear you will have to give him a red or two, but you can collect loads of those in the throne anyway.

Its important not to move much to the right or to the left. Since Achmel will be facing your merc and one arm of the star will be straight in front of him.

When does this fail? Probably when your merc runs to the right and in front of your sorc or when Achmel turns towards you to resurrect a pile of bones. Also, when you move out of the "safe zone".

8. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

A star shape. Hmm, interesting.

Tried a bit if your technique would work. Haven't done enough runs yet to confirm or deny it with any certainty. When standing that far off i do seem to get hit less with poison, but that just might be because i'm really far away.

That's the downside. Most of the time at least half of the mummies are offscreen so i'm shooting pretty much blindly at where i think they are.

I have stopped feeding pots to the merc though. Just to see how he would hold up. So far he's doing pretty good. Occassionally i give him a healing pot that's laying on the ground but usually he's fine. Except for 1 (merc) death, but that was my fault, i should've given him a healing pot sooner. Anyway, that has saved me a lot of trips to Malah so far, so i'm sticking with that.

Oh and i was wrong concerning merc gear. He's wearing GA + vamp gaze. One with um, other with 15% resist jewel so he's got maxed resists (90)anyway. And some LL and %DR which you wouldn't have with kira's.

9. Albatross

Albatross IncGamers Member

http://i29.tinypic.com/344qgdc.jpg

Here are a few more runs (I did about 8, ss some, got poisoned only once, when I was testing how close can I come), but you don't have to stand too far. Woulda been much better if I made a vid, but eh.. laziness :)

I move up, usually starting near the third fire spewing thingy, but never come too close to the second one. This way you have all the mummies in sight and if you positioned your merc well enough you wont get poisoned.

10. Grapeape

Grapeape IncGamers Member

I useually stand between the second third pillar south of where baal is at, and i've never got poisoned... i also have my portal set up there just incase my merc get's killed for whatever reason. If im playing a melee i just wait for it to take down my health a bit pop a rejuv and wait for it to go away, the poison dosen't last very long once ashmel (spelling?) is dead, antidotes are a quick fix along with a trip to malah... although im too lazy for that :p

Anyway thats how i deal with it... although i never really saw it as a huge issue.

11. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

When standing where you stand on the screenie i do get poisoned once in a while. I even had it once when standing a right before the firething a little to your bottom left (before, as seen from the mummies point of view).

If i stand in one line with it i haven't. Yet, anyway. But that means your vision on what you're shooting at is worse. So maybe it is better to stand where you are standing in the SS and just take the poison every x runs. With antidotes dropping sometimes and not needing too many i might get along some time before the need to visit Malah.

Have been way too busy to do further testing atm, but this evening i should have some time. Pff, it seems like i'm doing more work now (in my vacation) than when i'm actually at work.