Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Staticmancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by XCodes, Jul 14, 2010.

1. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Staticmancer

Thinking about making a meleemancer that uses Static Field procs (Crescent Moon, Stormlash, Schaefer's Hammer) to make his CEing easier on high player games (SP). Here's the basic rundown:

Skills:
    20 Dim Vision
    20 CE
    20 Bone Prison
    10 Attract
    1 in other curses
    1 Poison Dagger
    4 points in the Summoning tree (CG, BG, GM, SR)
    Remainder in Bone Wall, then Poison Dagger

Schtick: Use Dim Vision's wide radius to control the field, then select a few monsters to fight and hit them with Decrepify. After killing them, the rest of the nearby pack should be significantly weakened from a number of Static Field discharges. Start blanketing the area in Amp Damage curses, capture a group in a Bone Prison, and then while more come in to whack the bone prison, blow them all up.

Against troublesome Physical-Immune monsters, use LR and Attract to get them all attacking one of their own while I wail away with Static Field and lightning damage on my weapon, then I CE them all down after a few corpses.

Against serious bosses, use a Fleshripper and Guillames with Life Tap. Poison Dagger gives me the desired AR.

Quandry: I don't really have an alternative shtick to use against LI monsters, even though I really think I should have one. I know most of them will break with LR, although high resistance still really hurts Static Field's damage output.

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Re: Staticmancer

You have physical damage from you and the Merc and Fire/Phys from CE. If you are in the unfortunate position of LI and Physical Immune (both unbreakable) and with no corpses for CE, you might consider running away and parking them.

Also with just 1 point Decrep needs to be applied irritatingly often.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

I agree with Mad Mantis in that between your merc, golem and CE that you do have a means to deal with Lightning immunity.

A couple of general other quesitons: Why 10 in Attract? You're bound to have +skill gear, and it seems like 10 hard points is excessive. (Also, while one point in Decrepify is insufficient, that likewise will be boosted by +skills to an acceptable level.)

Otherwise it looks solid. You also will have a very good bone armor, owing to the points spent in the synergy.

4. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Maybe I'll split them 5/5 each. I want more duration on Attract because if it wears off then I'm going to be in the middle of a pack of physical immunes getting beat on. 1 point with +skills will likely be sufficient, but I have quite a few leftovers and I don't want to die on account of having sufficient skills. I wanted to add a little buffer. Of course, with the level of skills I'm talking about, Decrepify is actually turning out to be slightly shorter in duration. I suppose if I really wanted to I could employ a couple curse skillers. It's not like I'd really need any other type for this build.

5. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

Couldn't you just cast Attract twice as often, thus always keeping 1-2 monsters as distractions? Then again, wraiths are physical immune and tend to stack into a single multiwraith, and once you start hitting one of them with the intention of killing it to make a corpse to explode, I guess stopping to recast a curse would make it quite difficult to target that same wraith again.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

Looking at the total skill outlay, by the time you get to hell difficulty, you're going to have to do something with those skill points, and it's not like you're sacrificing that much in spending the points on decrepify and attract at that point. I guess the real question is if you kept both curses at a single point, what are you gaining in return?

I'd say not too much. I suppose you could work on Bone Wall for a better Bone Armor synergy boost, or you could work on LR for help against physical immunes, but neither are absolutely essential...

7. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

After reading about the Axemancer CtC build using the 15% chance to cast Bone Armor from the Bone runeword armor with full synergies, that's what I'd do with 41 points. Then again, I guess that with maxed Dim Vision you don't really need Bone Armor that much, and you might be better off with recasting it manually while wearing some other body armor. Particularly since Life Tap will be used against serious bosses. (And I don't even like Bone Armor, since it looks kind of ugly. But becoming nigh invulnerable to physical damage from steadily recast Bone Armor while standing in a 25-hit/second fire seems like something I should at least try. Just need a second Um now. I even sent my lousy furywolf to the Hellforge, but all he got was a Lum.)

8. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Are you going to be using 200 dex for max block? Ravenfrost? Angelics? I don't know if a one point poison dagger is going to solve the AR issue. Also Schaffer's, Stormlash and the crecent moon base items are not daggers, so I believe that no AR bonus would be applied. I could see this build getting boring if it ends up being waiting for the merc to get the first kill then using CE, so make sure that the AR issue is solved. You will need at least 4-5k AR for hell where pretty much all the monsters will have 2k defense.

9. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

If you want to drop some corpses faster, doing 20 in nova and 20 dagger wouldn't hurt. I tried that for one of my summoners and found that pretty satisfactory.

10. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Poison Dagger is for using a Fleshripper on Act Bosses. I'm debating whether or not I want to bother, though.

Also, yes. I'll have around 200 dex for Max block. I also intend to have another 450ish from using a Ravenfrost and, ideally, the Gloves, Belt, and Boots from the IK set. Schaefer's also gives a substantial AR boost (probably the big reason I'm leaning towards using it instead of Stormlash). So, if I look at where I'm at around level 80, I would have about 2k AR. If I use a Blessed Aim merc, that should go up to about 8k AR.

That said, my physical damage is terrible. There are no sources of off-weapon ED that I can use. I'd probably have to use a Griffin Eye to help deal with Lightning Immunes.

I could drop 20 in Explosion, too, and just make a PN necro. >_<

11. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Well, you can't do 20/20/20 since you won't have the skill points for it. So 20/1/20 with like say, +10 in plus skills comes out to about 2k-3k in damage, which really comes in handy since nova hits everything at once. Plus if you get a pair of Trang's gloves, that's an extra 25% on top of that. You don't even need to get lower resist. Also, you could also get Blackbog's Sharp for bosses, since it comes with like +4-5 to dagger, and has 50% slow. So if you have the boss decrypted and clay golem'd, it's pretty much a rock.

Edit: 20 in CE is overkill I think. It's a one-point wonder if you have enough plus skills.

12. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

-1 Karma, if I could... You COMPLETELY missed the point of my response. I'm not interested in playing some kind of Poisonmancer/Jailkeeper hybrid that carries around a Schafer's for the fun of it. Besides, half-synergized Poison Novas deal HORRIBLE damage.

13. emilsson

emilsson IncGamers Member

That is an interesting idea. As I speculated earlier, I think that a Shaefer hammer and Crushing Blow would be able to mow down even high hit point foes. How about you loading up lots of Crushing Blow also? And then, if possible, you could try to socket the hammer with Jah to get Ignore Targets Defense. Otherwise you will not hit the enemy. Too low AR and low Dex. Then you will not trigger SF.

14. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

If you are making on sp then its a well worth a test. I never see any reason why not test it out if you are using your own common since.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  15. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Schafer's needs either a Shael or a Fury jewel, depending on whether I go with Andy's or Griffon. Jah isn't an option, but at the same time ATR isn't that much of a problem. Until I get my final gear I can always use a pair of Angelic Rings and keep my blocking topped off and wind up with more than enough ATR to deal with whatever I go up against for most of the game. At the end of the game, I'll have Schafers (which adds about 700 ATR on it's own), a Raven Frost (adds about 200), and about 200 Dex (which adds about 1000 ATR). Between all that and whatever random junk I use to fill out my gear, 2k is easily attainable, and with a BA merc that jumps to 8k. I can even stick an Infinity on him and drop monster defense to about 400 and get an easy 95% hit chance on just about anything.

16. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Actually, a demon limb on switch could work for this build. If only there was a way to get fanaticism for faster statics, but alas the aura only come on non-polearm weapons.

17. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Actually, an A1 Merc with Faith might be the best. The speed and AR boosts will make hitting at 10 frames easy enough, and with a Demon Limb I should get the little bit of extra AR I need to max out my hit rate.