Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

State Secret: Thousands Secretly Sterilized

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by llad12, May 17, 2005.

1. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

State Secret: Thousands Secretly Sterilized

Has anybody else heard about this?

ABC News

I don't know what to say ... :(

2. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

That's pretty scary...

Makes me wonder what else our wonderful government could do to us without our knowledge...

3. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

sucks to be her...
    and sucks to be me, since it's my tax dollars going to my irresponsible state that did such an atrocious thing long before I was born or had any ancestors living there. I'm going to have to pay for my sucky government's flaws.

4. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

do a little research and you will find that this was common practice in most most countries.

5. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Words fail me

I know what to say: despicable. I wish I could say that I was surprised by this but after the whole Iraq war debacle and the political maneuverings of Tom DeLay, it has become painfully apparent that the US government does not often act in the people's best interests but instead in the interests of "the greater good".

How noble of our government to "protect" us from ourselves, hmm?

6. SquareRootOfBob

SquareRootOfBob IncGamers Member

This happened from 1929-1974, and this isn't the first time I've heard of it. Why is it getting so much attention all of a sudden?

7. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

This isn't the first time anyone's heard of it, and it wasn't all that secret to begin with. Social Darwinism was at its height during that time and evolutionary biology was being abused to support all kinds of social injustices (often with the support of most Americans, so don't go blaming the Man on this one). Eugenics had some prominent proponents in the scientific community during the height of its popularity, but fortunately its scientific foundations did not stand up to scrutiny and were debunked. It is no longer supported by evolutionary biologists and the whole idea is rather taboo actually.

8. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

At the same time that we now find this appalling, I cannot be angry with those who performed such acts. They acted within the ethical codes and science of their time, and while we would never sanction such acts now, back then it was okay.

9. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

How is it people get sterilized without their knowledge?

10. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I guess when they give birth, they operate at the same time?

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Because it was Bush's fault, of course :)

I'd heard of it, but not that it was in any way a Fed program but rather individual state gov't decisions. I had the impression that it was usually performed (as mentioned) on 'undesireables', including criminals, handicapped, and retarded individuals. Still doesn't make it excusable since as Moo mentions the science didn't add up.

If you want to get outraged about the travails of the Fed Gov't, check out the early nuclear testing. Using our own soldiers as guinea pigs near blasts just to see what might happen...

12. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

Steel, isn't there any place that you'll draw any sort of line? The people doing it had to know that what they were doing was wrong on some level, even if someone above them was telling them to do it. The "Shrug, back then it was okay" defense is defeatist. Yeah, I can't be angry at someone who raped women back then either, because back then it was okay to consider women property and therefore their "ethical code" allowed it.

The point is that there are some things worth getting angry about. Forced sterilization of another human being by our own freaking government is one of them.

13. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I've heard of this before, a few years ago, and yes, words really can't express the inhumanity and sheer sense of disgust I feel knowing that it happened under the same flag I now salute.

14. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

yup i have heard about this. about the question how they do it without the persons knowledge it is easy. they call them and they tell them that it is a regular check or something like that and there you go

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

This is nothing new. In the early 20th century, the American government sterilized thousands of people, not just women, due to various defects. The most affected were mentally retarded people or people with physical defects in order to "cleanse" the population. ABC may be presenting this as an obscure fact, but it's actually been known by a lot of people for a very long time.

16. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I've heard of this before but now I have to question it's legitimacy. I have lost all faith in the "mainstream" media.

Who are their sources?
    Can their documentation be proven to not be forged?

It's a sad state of affairs when everything they report is suspect.

17. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Its true. The Supreme Court outlawed it in 1965, Griswold v Conneticut.

Garbad

18. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Hurry, someone find an article by Ann Coulter about it so Smeg can believe it!

19. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

This is the first you've ever heard of this? I thought you, of all people, would be more informed about something like this.

Here's another hot scoop for you...google the "Tuskegee Experiment".

20. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Nah, they kept us in the dark in my Early Pre-Cambrian school. You have to remember we didn't have personal computers ... or CNN ... or MSNBC ... or Fox. In fact, there were three television stations on the old B&W TVs. Cable didn't exist. :p Heck, in my Oklahoma history class, they didn't even discuss the Tulsa Race Riots.

I guess with all the Jim Crow laws in effect at that time, it just didn't seem important enough to discuss sterilization procedures on unsuspecting people.

Propaganda was heavy in schools in those days. America never made a mistake in the history books. We had never lost a war. And the Indians? No problem --> manifest destiny.

We were the good guys.

High school and College was a real wakeup call for me. But I didn't hear about this stuff. There was SE Asian war dominating the headlines ... Draft ... Black Power marches ... Stokely C., Malcom X, MLK, ... Women's rights ... ERA ... Peace Movements ... Demonstrations ... Riots

Personally, I still have trouble accepting that this kind of stuff still went on into 1974 --> my late college years.

Eugenics? That was something the Third Reich did ....

Pathetic ... it reminds me of the 19th century antebellum days when people were property.

What a disgrace.