Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stat points for new Sorc?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by BishBishop, Feb 12, 2004.

1. BishBishop

BishBishop IncGamers Member

Stat points for new Sorc?

Can anyone help me pls, I'm starting a new sorc character and don't know how many points I need to put in energy in order to be able to spam blizard as fast as I can. I've heard dex & vit are must haves and strength enough for equipment, but I can't max all of them!

Current plan is to max Blizard & synergery skills and be a single element char (tried a 2 element sorc but it didn't do enough dmg). Also put a lot of points into energy shield so I can tele for baal runs. Is this workable?

Guidance is appreciated. Thx.

2. fatmantan

fatmantan IncGamers Member

might wanna post in the sorc forum :)

as for stat points.

i put enough str for equipment/armour
    dex can be pumped later for blocking
    VIT is the most important.....pump this up heaps
    energy........some say none, some say alot.....i myself probably put 10 points into it at the start and left it there.

My blizz sorc atm is lvl 82 and does min 5800 dmg. kills hell meph in 2 casts :) (thats if u get the good angle....3 if not)

AND NO ENERGY SHIELD NEEDED

3. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I am making a Blizzard sorc now. Personally I put about 20 in Energy, I like having a little extra mana. I'm starting with enough Dexterity for wizardspike (75), just enough strength to wear good stuff, and everything else into vitality. You either want to go for max block or you don't. I choose not to, as this isn't going to be a PvP character, and I don't feel I need to block much as my strategy is to not get hit.

4. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Well you are asking difficult questions. It depends lots on how you want to play and also on what gear you are planning on using.

If you don't want a Stormshield, then your strength shouldn't be higher than 84. Which is enough to wear Tal Rasha's armor.

If you want no blocking, then you don't need any Dex.

I don't have any experience with a Blizzard sorceress. I would go for 50 energy, but like other people say here, you can get by with less.

But whatever you do. DO NOT USE ENERGY SHIELD. First of all it is bugged and you will be continuously mana drained by elemental attacks. Furthermore the key to successfully teleporting through the Durance and Worldstone Keep is Improved Cast Rate And Faster Hit Recovery not an Energy Shield. An Energy Shield won't safe you when you are being stun locked and you teleport so slow that you can't get out.

A really basic setup:
    - Lidless
    - Viper Magi
    - Oculus (Yes it is with 1 C unlike many people seem to think)
    - War Travelers
    - Shako
    - Tal's Belt

5. Usufruct

Thanks Daemonaz for further justifying my disuse of energy shield :)

6. Daemonaz

No Problem. I'm totally against Energy Shield ever since 1.10 came out. I've tried 3 different sorceresses and the one without energy shield does by far the best. Saves skillpoints too.

7. BishBishop

BishBishop IncGamers Member

Cheers

Thanks for all your comments guys,
    Bish

8. amperel

amperel IncGamers Member

well i have different experience with energy shield. maybe because i have above average gear - also u need to put points in telekinesis in order to make es effective. i have to say it say my butts a few times.

9. Usufruct

I don't think I will be investing in telekenesis - and I would also consider my gear 'better than average'.

10. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

If pvm, I wouldn't waste points on block. A merc makes a fine shield for those pesky distance attacks

11. Daemonaz

Like Usufruct I have better than average gear too. Energy Shield just sucks in 1.10, besides it's bugged. Elemental damage gets substracted from your mana without taking into account your resistances. Go figure why Mephisto drains your mana globe in 0.005 seconds.

Furthermore, you don't have skillpoints to invest in telekinesis. A sorceress is already hard pressed for skill points given the new synergies.

Get 1000+ hitpoints. It's the best shield you can get. Energy Shield is utterly pointless in 1.10.