Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting with a sorc - is pure blizz doable?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sequoia, May 14, 2008.

1. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Starting with a sorc - is pure blizz doable?

How far can I get with pure blizz? Can i get to hell meph? Or will there be too many cold immunes by then?

I don't know what to build... i've never done a sorc untwinked from the beginning

2. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Re: Starting with a sorc - is pure blizz doable?

Duriel and ancients will be a problem.

I would recommed a blizz baller or a meteror orb so that you can hit CIs

3. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Blizz/ball seems far too stretched for points... meteorb it is...

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Well, if it's only for questing, you will have very hard time to beat the cold immunes untwinked. You can allways avoid the cold immunes by teleporting, but Frozen caves in Hell will be very tough (rescue Anya quest).
    If it is build for MFing, then go for it. You will get semi-good equip from NM Meph in no time and you will shine at Hell Meph, Pindle and AT runs.

5. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

it's built for mf'ing... but it's my only char (and this is single too) so i can't rush her through things.

i'm just wondering if i can GET to hell meph... since i'll probably stay there.

(by built for mf'ing i mean that it's going to be what i use to twink future characters, so it's role is just to MF really)

6. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Go for it. It is not as difficult as it sounds like, and blizz sorc is excellent MFer.

My first HC character was a pure blizz sorc. My initia plan was to run NM Meph to get a base for my item wealth. That was ridiculously easy. I got her to hell Meph after some NM Meph runs. That wasn't too hard. I thought I'd stay there, MFing...however, I decided to try getting my first guardian. Success.

Claw Viper Temple and act 5 ice caves are the hardest areas. Ancient were quite easy actually, half decent merc and wand with Life Tap charges can get the job done. My HF merc had Insight partizan, Tal's mask and Iron Pelt when I completed the game. Hardly uber gear.

Duriel is not cold immune.

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I would agree to go pure blizzard for MFing. It's fairly well-known that I'm not a huge fan of Meteorb; I find FO a bit weak in Hell. Blizzballer is by far my personal preference (max life not vit).

Plenty of people get pure blizzard sorc to mat/pat/guardian so it just needs patience. And if you are going to hit Hell memphy and stay there, Blizzard will kill so much quicker.

If you want to finish the game and are worried about the immunities, then MP through. :smiley:

8. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Pure blizzard is a great MFer, meteororb is more balanced but much weaker (speaking from 1.10s experiences)

@Thyiad: a blizzsorc pat?:lipsrsealed:

9. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Pure blizz is amazing. Ignore all these haters :)

10. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

I'm in that boat right now. I did a meteorb first and she was OK at running Hell Meph and Andy. I then decided the blizzard sorc looked better for running as the damage is higher and started one. She is currently level 82 running Hell Mephisto and Ancient Tunnels. In those areas she is unstoppable. Questing can be a pain though. I am stuck getting to kill Diablo right now as the Immolation casting idiots in Diablo's area are all cold immune and waiting for the merc to kill them before immolations is cast is almost impossible. Still trying to figure out how I will quest up to Anya (as far I need to get for pindle portal and resists reward). I think MP might be the only way unless you are very patient and have lots of money to resurrect the moron.

That aside she is by far the best MFer I have ever played but kinda sucks on the questing side. In areas where there are lots of cold immunes I just teleport past. That obviously stops working in areas that you have to clear like Diablo's area.

11. silospen

I just stuck in AT till I levelled up a looooong way. Do in on P8 and it'll happen :)

Or you could MP.

12. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

So which one is it, then?
    Life or Vita?
    Or,...maybe Dex?

Did you mean max Vita, not Dex? :tongue:

Rescuing Anya might be tricky, but it's possible without killing Frozensteinwhatchamacallit.

You teleport to somewhere near.
    Then lure them (Frozenstein) away from Anya.
    Then quickly tele beside Anya.
    Open a portal.
    Click Anya.
    Click Portal.
    Then get potion.
    Go back, open a new portal.
    Click Anya.
    (By this time, you'll probably be swarmed by the baddies.)
    And CLICK PORTAL LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW!
    The succession must be lightning-fast, but I've done it more than once, iirc.

You'll get the hang of it after a few tries, but the reward is definitely worth it. :grin:

Good luck with the BlizzSorc! (I'm sure silo's argument "Pure blizz is amazing. Ignore all these haters :)" is enough to convert your decision to make a MeteOrber instead. He's compelling, don't you agree?) :rolleyes:

--maxgerin

13. silospen

I don't need reasons! I know you all respect me enough to just do what I say, because you know it's right :cool: :grin:

14. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Pure blizz is an awesome MF char, but maybe you would consider cutting down on one of blizz synergies and some points of cold mastery and invest 5 points on Fire Mastery, 20 points Fireball and 2-3 points Firebolt.

Voila, you have a blizzballer with a reliable secondary fire skill which will be able to run Baal after you accumulate stuff in order to level to mid 90s and have a good crafter/gambler :)

15. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

@ max - pre-tea post. Prefer life not dex

16. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

I haven't had coffee yet, so I'm liable to say something ridiculous or make typos.

Pure Bliz can be a pain to get through Hell (the especially nasty areas were already mentioned) but against cold immunes it's all about patience.

You may have to teleport backwards to draw a single monster or two away from the crowd, then let your merc take them while you help with Static Field. Move forward to alert the pack, then rinse and repeat. It's tedious, but possible. But your merc is bound to get surrounded at some point...so just have the money to resurrect him. And when all else fails, jut teleport like crazy until you find your objective (like Anya.)

17. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Whoa... hadn't even considered that. 1 point static?

same with frozen armors?

18. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

I say go pure blizz also. I think you should be able to get to Hell Meph without too much problems. Don't forget about your merc. They can help kill alot of cold immunes.

19. Helx

Helx IncGamers Member

Be patient and play on /players 1 while questing and you won't regret spending the time on a pure blizz sorc. She's the best there is for killing Meph, excellent at Pindle when he's not CI, and pretty good for killing Baal (especially if you have a strong merc or a hel/hel Bonehew for Corpse Explosion on CIs in the WSK). Oh, and she's awesome for AT. Yep, one point in static should be plenty once you have some +skills. Frozen armor...I'm not sure about, but I try to max all my blizz synergies and get cold mastery to 150%.

20. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

All sorceresses should have one point in Static Field. Just my opinion.