Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting playing singleplayer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by awwent, Aug 26, 2010.

1. awwent

awwent IncGamers Member

Starting playing singleplayer

Hi,
    I'm considering starting to play Single Player, however I have one issue I need help with. When I started playing Single Player, I never managed to get past Act Three because I found it incredibly boring - guess what I did? I used *editor removed* and set up an extremely overpowered character. Got bored with being so good so fast, so I quit it once again. I've tried starting to play Single Player after that too, and it always ends with the same issue.

How can I get over this?

Thanks,

Please do not post the names of cheats/hacks/edits. Thyiad

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Re: Starting playing singleplayer

You could play in -w mode and ponder about this

3. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

http://1.bp.************/_WXF413n5BVY/SiowUgf6spI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/xbLh6NSgXNw/s400/patience.jpg

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

A more constructive reply is this:

Not every playstyle suits every person. Perhaps untwinked is not the way to go for you. Perhaps Bnet and it's more easy way of accumulating wealth is better for you.

There are some very good guides to helping you at low level in SP, the majority of them are in the Stickies. Here are a few of my favourites.

Guide to Unwinked Single Pass MFing - you may not play Single Pass but low level MFing from nothing WILL be useful

Perhaps a Tournament would give you some incentive to play less powered characters. Some of the Tourneys can be quite tough but others don't have to be. Or you could play alongside without actually competing and that would allow you to bypass some of the rules if they are just too tricky for you.

Check out the Mat Pat Guardian thread which can give you build ideas on untwinked play. It's very surprising what some people can do with certain characters/gear.

Providing you are using a clean install The Single Player Trade Forum also has giveaways of items. The SPF is usually quite helpful *looks at posters above* usually - and you could likely find some starter gear in the SPTF to make the lower levels a little easier.

Other than that, it is down to you.

EDIT:
    Leap on a Barb is great for Act III. :D

5. WizardGurl

WizardGurl IncGamers Member

Play without cheats...they ruin everything and the game is not fun anymore.

6. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t think I can help you with this, because I love Act III. It appeals to my 'explore the wilderness' urge.
    It never ceases to fascinate me how the different jungle areas can be connected. Even when I think I´ve seen it all, the game can sometimes come up with another way to put it together.

The city areas in the later part are quite boring to me, but they make up for it by having so many containers you can get some nice loot from.

The six temples are fun - and often hectic and good fights in there. Maybe not in Normal, but certainly in NM and Hell.

And don´t get me started on the Sewers area. I´ll just mention that it´s my favourite area in the whole game. :badteeth:

7. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I also love Act III jungles. But I have to say that I like the theme music for Act III the best the game offers.

8. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

first of all, I second that cheating ruins the game.
    second, I second that so is not for all. but we get our community from outside the game here in the forums, so its just a different way of playing with friends.
    thirdly, a untwinked tournament would be a great start, you can join gold diggers for example, it started pretty recently

9. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

I HATE act 3. I dont know why, maybe because I tend to get lost in the jungle. Having to go back through the entire location, bacause you failed to find one tiny space between the trees is frustrating to say at least.

This is what I usually do:
    1. I go exploring the first location. Usually its pretty easy to find Spider Cavern and collect the first part of the Khalim's Will. I dont bother to find WP, I rush through this part of the game.
    2. Find my way to Flayers Jungle. Usually you dont have to go through Great Marsh, but sometimes there is no other way. If I find entrance to the Flayers Dungeon I leave the open TP. I dont look for it. The Lower Kurast entrance is always positioned the same way, so you have to go NorthEast, and you will eventually find the way to LK.
    3. Rush through the whole Kurast. If you find a WP - good for you. If you dont - dont worry, the map of Travi is always the same - you cant miss the Travi WP. Use your opened TP and do the Flyers Dungeon.

The reason why I do that is because I usually want to have lvl ~27 (I forgot to write - I enter act 3 with ~24 lvl). You have most of your skills available and you can easily go back and do the Khalim quests. Travi is a good place to level up, Its also fun to find some gems/charms/runes/jewels the council is dropping.

Some chars have less problems than other. Sorceress with teleport is great, Barbarian with leap is fine too. When you play a little and accumulate some items every char will have less and less problems. Well twinked melee chars are super powerful around lvl 25-27 and you will minimalize the frustrating aspect of the act.

10. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

What i'm missing here is the reason you find it getting boring. Most posters above me seem to assume it has to do with the act. But maybe it's just the character you're playing.

Have you tried playing different types of characters? Maybe you've been playing melee up until now, while you might enjoy casters more.
    I for one love most characters, but for some reason unknown to even myself i'm not really a fan of assassins. So maybe it helps playing a different character.
    Or is it that you feel underpowered and things take too long to kill. In that case try one of the more powerfull builds like summon necro or some type of sorc.

So all in all i'd say we need some more info as to the why you're getting bored to give a good answer. Otherwise we're just guessing.

11. Grapeape

Grapeape IncGamers Member

Well i personally dont advocate the use of cheating in any way shape or form but what someone dose on there mechine is there business... and im not going to tell you how to play the game (however it is against forum rules discussing those methods of play IIRC).

If playing the standard builds that most use is what makes it boreing for you try a build that isn't quite as common, perhap's a MF throw barb is in the cards, or a bladesin, bone necro's can be fun too. just gotta try a few out untill you find one that interest's you. it could also be that your alot like me and can't be stuck to one character for extended periods of time... i useually get bored with a character after the first 15 levels then play something else... maybe give that a try.

It could also that it's the game itself that is boreing you... so maybe take a break now and then and do something else, play a different game, exercise, watch a movie, nit a sweater... whatever floats your proverbial boat.

Anyway hope this gives you somewhat of a general idea of thing's that could help you enjoy the game in SP as much as it dose on B.net (or more so).

12. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Yeah, I know what you mean about Act III...although I'm starting to have the same issues with Act II :p

If you're HC, I can help you with items to pass through early levels more easily.

But, as others have pointed out, you should look into "why" you don't like Act III. It's a pain for most single target attack characters...but you could hire an Act II merc with a "savage" polearm (cubed (Kris(any quality)+Staff(any)+Diamond(any quality)+Belt(any))...very powerful early on) and let him finish those monsters at players1 or players3 in no time.

13. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Now, it seems like the solution (if you want to play SP, and just can't get "into" it due to difficulty) would be to build a fishymancer. You can easily walk through the entire game untwinked, using whatever drops. Your army of skeletons and such does most of the work (with some clever corpse explosion and curses)

This charceter can then be used to help get items to some other builds (fun ones, like a hammerdin :D)

14. jiansonz

This is not an issue if you do full clears.

Ok, so how about all the trips for selling things? If you open up a new TP the old location is gone. I need 15-20 town trips per area in this game to sell stuff.

:shocked: :scratchhead:

I´m level 28-29 when I start Act III.

We must really play differently...

15. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Funny, playing untwinked single pass characters I always get level 30 early in Act III. That's /p8 full clears.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  16. jiansonz

Yeah, I get it in Flayer Jungle.

17. ancalagon the black

ancalagon the black IncGamers Member

Back before I found out about the /players command and had not tried bnet yet, I would often gain level 30 from killing the Ancients in act V.

18. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I always wait for level 37 before killing the Ancients in normal. That's way I can guarantee I get all the exp they give.

19. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I'm clvl 24 from Act II till Act IV/Act V. What game are you guys playing? :p

20. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Could be that not everyone gets kicks from playing @ p8 :p