Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting over

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Rune101, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

Starting over

I once had a decent meteorb and hammerdin...

Then I stopped for about 6 months playing warcraft III and call of duty 2

Needless to say, all my characters are gone.

Now that I'm coming back, i want a pretty versatile character that is effective from the beginning to the end (of the whole thing). Untwinked, if possible of course.

Any suggestions?

PS: PvM.

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Summon necro
    Meteorb
    CL/FO sorc
    Wind druid
    Hammerdin
    Trap assassin

3. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

errrr...

might I ask why as well?

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

They are all gear-independent. They all have skills that have good crowd control. Finally, they all can use cheap runewords that you can make after a day or so of playing.

5. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

ok then, thanks :)

6. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Summoning necro is probably your safest bet.

7. GotFriana

GotFriana IncGamers Member

I vote summoner too :)

I came back not long ago as well and I thought I d start a sorc as my first character to MF but when you start with absolutely nothing even the sorc seems item dependant :-/ I quickly switched to a necro he has dirt cheap lucky gear he found/bought and he rocks in nm he s lvl 52 now.

8. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I think it will depend on playing style. I've found necromancers to be very boring and can't seem to stick with mine for a very long period of time. The sit-back-and-watch playstyle simply isn't me. So for those that need to be more active then a blizzardballer or meteorb would be a better choice.

9. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

I'll second Mursilis. I started a couple months ago with a fishymancer and never play him any more. Honestly, when/if the ladder resets, I'm going to start a pure lightning sorc (CL for crowds and L for bosses). They have difficult patches in Hell but I find them awesome teles and fierce damage. I play my lightning sorc almost exclusively now rushing my other characters, other folks for forge, mfing, etc...

10. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

i had a bad experience with the forge once.

the dude leaves...i can't pick up the hammer to do the forge...?

I'm guessing he has to do it?

well anyways

My meteorb was doing quite well level 72ish, and then i got bored. I didn't have enough resists for hell, as i didnt have the gear, and nightmare was...nightmare...

I stuck to nm pindleskin runs and nm meph runs to mf for some new characters at the time, but never got any armor for resists :(

Too bad i stopped playing. I'm thinking sorc and necro too, as my hammerdin was annoying in those pesky act 2 tunnels.

11. fahartle

I can't emphasize the utility of the trade forums enough. Some people really enjoy finding all their gear themselves. But you'll find tons of decent stuff that just isn't worthwhile for the character you're playing. What's wrong with trading that for something more useful?

Resists in hell can be a challenge, but there's a number of fairly easy solutions. Duriel's shell, Skin of the Vipermagi, or a decent "Smoke" runeword are all easily acquired or bought for a few Pgems. A Wizzard Spike can be traded for cheap, so too a monarch shield for Spirit (the best shield around for a caster in my opinion). Those three items alone will get you well over 100 all resistance, which will offset the -100 resist penalty in Hell. With your normal and NM Anya quests, you shouldn't have that much trouble in Hell (as long as you have a powerful character build that can kill quickly) unless you hit something really tough like gloams or fire archers (and even great characters can get toasted by those under the right conditions).

To me, that's the whole attraction to a pure lightning sorc. I think people focus too much on defense, while ignoring the virture of a fast, hard offense (killing stuff faster will help you survive). Lightning sorcs are awesome at the fast kill. You can join a few public games to help you past really tough portions of Hell, level up on Hell games and you'll have one of the best magic finders around!

12. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

I did use the trade forums.

MY hammerdin did have a wizard spike, still not enough resists for hell. And i was freaking poor, due to me never finding runes.

I may make a lightning sorc after this next character...then im thinking a barb.

13. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

That's no excuse. Gems can be cubed up to pgems that can be traded in bulk for mid runes or even high runes if you save up enough perfect amethysts or rubies. Ral runes in bulk are quite valuable too, along with junk jewels. Package pamethysts, rals and junk jewels together and you'll have the crafters drooling!:thumbsup:

14. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

mid runes like?

I did end up with decent gear on my hammerdin...except for a helm/shield. Where mosts resists usually come from.

As for my sorc, she was doing fine except for a helm. And when I tried to get a shako, I was outbidded.

And then I stopped, which completely killed that.

I'm guessing a meteorb will be the best mfer?

15. hunk

hunk Banned

I would make pure blizzard sorc for running andy/mephisto/tunnels/pindle.

16. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

40 mixed pgems to a pul rune has been a standard for a while. Is it still?

Mid to late ladder season 20 - 25 Perfect Amethyts or Rubies can get you a high rune.

Do these rate still apply? I'm not certain as I've been playing mainly hardcore ladder and softcore non ladder this season.

17. fahartle

40 gems will go for a High Rune, at least on Ladder East. I traded 100 gems for 3 HRs and an Um just the other day.

18. Rune101

Rune101 IncGamers Member

wow.

I was working up to 40 so i could get more items, ran out of inventory space/ muling pains...