Starting over: Where to begin?

Drixx

Diabloii.Net Member
So,

Got the D2 itch again. Have a new computer and while I could get the drives from the old computer off the shelf and snag my old saves ... there's always something exciting about a fresh start. I'm just not sure where I should begin and was looking for some build advice.

I've made a whole lot of Sorceress and Amazon builds and nearly nothing else. This will be a fresh start with no gear to use so builds that don't require an MFer to get up and running would be preferred.

I'm also wondering if there's any way to mitigate the issue of 800x600 window on a 4k screen, because that's what I'm working with, and it's tiny.

For the curious: New Rig specs

Intel Core i7-8700k
32 GB quad channel @3000Mhz
Samsung 960 NVMe M.2 SSD
3TB Spinner with a 32 GB Optane module for speed
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2

A very nice upgrade over the 1st gen core i7 rig from 2010 :)

Thanks in advance for suggestions/builds.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
One of the most efficient means is to start a sorc, level through the game as a meteorb due to versatility, then respec into pure Blizz and pay Meph/Pindle/AT a few hundred visits.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Welcome back @Drixx

I think Glide wrapper will solve your tiny screen issues, although I have never used it. Link is in the stickies.

Is this just a casual playthrough? If yes, play a Trapper and respec to Kick Trap if you find nice boots.

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
As Max has already suggested, Glide Wrapper helps. Unfortunately, it will still be a little small, and personally, I still have to run D2 windowed or the "stretch" distorts things too much & the black fields to the side just irritate me
Are you sure about this? Glide allows you to size the window, keeping everything in proportion. My monitor is reasonably large (11" tall), and cant accommodate the largest setting(s) available.

Drixx

Diabloii.Net Member
First of all, HC. Second, untwinked 99er. Third, welcome back.

*swipes wallet*
Of course HC. I made that swap ages ago. Nice to see you kitteh. You find that my wallet is attached securely to me and even if you manage to open it, you'll find nothing of use to you. Sorry.

I did see the glide wrapper in the links but didn't realize it would let me size the window above 800x600. Now I'll have to go figure out how to make that work. Thanks!

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Of course HC. I made that swap ages ago. Nice to see you kitteh. You find that my wallet is attached securely to me and even if you manage to open it, you'll find nothing of use to you. Sorry.

I did see the glide wrapper in the links but didn't realize it would let me size the window above 800x600. Now I'll have to go figure out how to make that work. Thanks!
Haha, I feel like you just turned this into a text-based RPG.

Burn wallet in a fit of rage!

Reactions: Zyr

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Another vote for Blizz sorc. A summon necro might be easier to start, since he doesn't need much in regard to equipment and he's pretty good at running areas. But a Blizz sorc will be the fastest way to item wealth, since she's really good at running bosses quickly due to teleport and a strong attack. Meph/Ancient Tunnels/Cows/LK/Pindle... she can do it all.

Drixx

Diabloii.Net Member
So I made a sorc and went fine through act 1. I was merrily working my way through sewers 3 in act 2 and went round a corner and got stun locked and killed by the fire skellies.

Womp Womp.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
So I made a sorc and went fine through act 1. I was merrily working my way through sewers 3 in act 2 and went round a corner and got stun locked and killed by the fire skellies.

Womp Womp.
Haha, a large pack of those can actually be very nasty. Keep it in mind for act v too!

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
Did you try the Glidewrapper? I’ve been wanting to try it out, but my fear of screwing up what I have keeps me from it. The current setup has the game sorta stretched, and I guess at this point I am used to it, but it would be awesome to have things correctly scaled. If Blizzard would just work on that for us....that would be nice.
Those specs look like an awesome rig. I have a 970 and D2 does not even turn the fans on, which is kinda funny. When I played D3, that was a diffetent story. On full settings I could hear revving up quite a bit.

Drixx

Diabloii.Net Member
Did you try the Glidewrapper? I’ve been wanting to try it out, but my fear of screwing up what I have keeps me from it. The current setup has the game sorta stretched, and I guess at this point I am used to it, but it would be awesome to have things correctly scaled. If Blizzard would just work on that for us....that would be nice.
Those specs look like an awesome rig. I have a 970 and D2 does not even turn the fans on, which is kinda funny. When I played D3, that was a diffetent story. On full settings I could hear revving up quite a bit.
It does indeed work pretty awesome. You just put the dll and the init exe into your diablo 2 folder, run the init file and click on "English" on the left side, and you can adjust as you like. Then you edit your shortcut and put in -3dfx so that it uses the wrapper. You can then move the window around easily (the edge of the window at the top moves the window... you'll see what I mean if you instinctively go for the usual way and it doesn't work) and you just resize it as you like. I set mine to keep the aspect ratio and upped the texture memory to 64mb and everything is great.

The only thing I don't like is that if I hit a key to open any of the windows in the game that open on left or right side (Character screen, inventory, etc...), the mouse goes back to the top left corner of the window. This is due to a mistake that the wrapper's author made, and unfortunately it doesn't seem (from what I've read) that it will be fixed.

There are other glide wrappers, but the SPF rules post seems to indicate that only this particular wrapper is allowable. I'm reading up on the others (particularly the one that people use with Median) and will drop a PM to the mods and see if another might be approved that does the same thing but doesn't have the mouse issue. It can be a little annoying and while I already mostly got used to it, I could see it killing me down the road, lol.

Short answer: Yes and it's great but ... the mouse thing is not super desirable.

+1 Assassin as 1st HC wealth gatherer, and welcome!
I've literally never made an assassin before. Any particular build or suggestion? How does the Assassin compete with a sorc for wealth building?

And thanks for the welcome ;p

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
The only thing I don't like is that if I hit a key to open any of the windows in the game that open on left or right side (Character screen, inventory, etc...), the mouse goes back to the top left corner of the window. This is due to a mistake that the wrapper's author made, and unfortunately it doesn't seem (from what I've read) that it will be fixed.
I do not have that issue. For reference, under "settings" I have the following boxes checked: window mode, captured mouse, keep aspect ratio, vertical synchronization, remember position. Also fps limit is 58.8 fps and static size is 1280 x 960.

Under "renderer", boxes checked are: texture for videos and shader-gamma. Texture memory is 16 MB and buffer texture size 1024 x 1024.

Nothing else of note with the other options...