Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

starting out lvl 30 - mac

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by letsbuildasnowman, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letsbuildasnowman

letsbuildasnowman IncGamers Member

starting out lvl 30 - mac

does anyone know if the trick that lets you start out with a lvl 30 char works on a mac? im starting to hate the damn thing. are there any D2 for mac sites out there? i have yet to find one. thanks in advance for any input.

2. Pucho

Pucho Banned

I'm afraid you won't find the answer. That trick is considered cheating around here, and if you read the rules we can't help you with that.

3. grossesexy

grossesexy IncGamers Member

How is using a command that is in the programming of the game anymore cheating than using players 8?

Doesn't seem to make much sense.

4. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Doesn't matter if it's built-in command. That thing creates lvl 33 char from nothing and puts him in act 5 - if that's not 'hacked' char then I don't know what hacked char is.

Players 8 just simulates full MP game.

But the shortest answer would be: because SPF rules say so. So it would be smart not to ask about something that cannot be discussed here, isn't it so?

5. grossesexy

My point was that both features were intended to be used by the dev team so neither is a hack. A hack is using something that isn't intended to be a part of the game.

I'm not really arguing for this guy to use this thing, I just think it's a bit weird that it's considered a black listed topic on this site.

" Hacks and Cheats are 3rd party programs that allow you to alter the way a player interacts with a game. This includes, but not restricted to Maphack and Pindlebot."

Not a 3rd party program so it is neither a hack nor a cheat.

6. Oreius

Oreius IncGamers Member

While I agree that this particular issue seems to - at the very least - toe the line of legitness (and I would not use this tactic myself), I still think he has a valid point. Whether or not we agree with using it, Blizzard decided to include this option within the programming of the game code.

This is all that needs to be said. I would simply leave the response at this and not try to open a discussion of comparing one form of command line parameter to another. Simply saying that one is hacking and one is fine is a bit arbitrary; I have witnessed many members here who still have passionate opinions on RRM vs RWM vs Vanilla, but let's not go there (yes, I realize that "mods" and command line parameters are two different things).

The fact of the matter is, while this forum has very defined standards, it does undertake a certain level of discression when it comes to deciding on the legitness of certain "alternate" methods of playing the game. I see nothing wrong with a newcomer being confused as to why to seemingly similar options are regarded so differently by the community.

That being said, grossesexy, you must understand that this is the policy chosen by the moderators here, who are dedicated to acting in the best interests of the overall community. Please read the FAQs and forum rules, and if you decide to stick around, I can assure you that you will find plenty of people here who are willing to answer any questions that fall within those guidlines.

7. grossesexy

I've read them and I'm really not trying to be a smartass, but I never saw where you weren't allowed to talk about this particular function? I guess I missed where this is? I even qouted the line straight out of the SPF FAQ if you noticed.

D'oh! My mistake was not noticing the second part on game play affecting techniques.

I submit my humblest apologies on this matter and should have read more carefully.

8. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

I may be new here...but it just seems like the man wanted to know if it worked...not advice on how to best use it, or how it works, or where he can somehow derail our games using it, but only whether it worked or not on a macintosh...I guess I fail to see why we can't help give him a yes or no, especially since it is a built-in "feature" of the game...

9. salvo

salvo IncGamers Member

clvl33 actually, but anything like that (fishy) should not be supported by this last bastion of legitness forum.

10. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

There is a lot of activity in this thread not to have answered the original question. :grin:

Here it is: No, there is no way to access the -act5 command on a macintosh.

On a related note, there is a quick leveling guide around here somewhere (look for threads started by Timinator) that may help you make those first levels go a little quicker.)

11. salvo

salvo IncGamers Member

A better answer from our wise mod, point him a fast leveling guide :thumbsup:

12. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I feel like I'm doing something wrong as I post this after Cattleya, but this needed to be said.

The USE of the -act 5 command is not accepted here, as stated in the Gameplay Affecting Techniques sticky. The discussion and help on how it works IS allowed on the other hand. Remember that the command (how it works, what it does) can be found somewhere in the diabloii.net site, and in one of his articles, Flux (one of the site admins) said he used it, described it, and didn't say anything negative about it (speaking of which, I still think he hacked the Doom and the BotD, btw :wink:). Now to clear the confusion,

13. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Worse things happen here than the '-act5' command and those worse things are considered and accepted as legal, so please fellow forumites, don't jump his behind over this thread.

14. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I just have a few comments on the secondary topic this thread has provoked.

Honestly, I would prefer if people didn't give detailed instructions on how to use the -act5 command, but it's not exactly rocket science, and there are plenty of accepted used of the command line (like -w and -ns) around here. So, banning instructions on using the command line isn't going to happen.

Also, discussions about those "grey areas" are of course permitted as long as they stay civil, but I don't think this thread was the appropriate place for it. I think the proper responses to this thread would have been more along the lines of:

-Actually giving a yes or no answer to the question. (If the answer had been yes, it might have been wise to check with a mod before giving instructions on the how, depending on what the hypothetical how was.)

-Giving an alternate possiblity like the quick leveling guide.

-Adding to either of those two possibilities above that using -act5 command would prevent the user from trading or MPing on the SPF/SPTF. No other comment is needed unless the original poster asks for more information.

Honestly, we don't need to jump on every new poster who has a question about these things with a long discussion of the ethics of certain practices. I think these discussions are better suited to their own thread, where some poor person isn't looking for a simple answer to a question. The question was reasonable, as there is a built in ways on a mac to simulate the -w command, and it was possible to have some of the other ones available as well. (However, to my knowledge, blizz didn't add any way to use any of the other command line codes.)

Now, since the original question has been answered:
    :closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.