Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting out as Meteorb

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MStumm, Aug 8, 2010.

1. MStumm

MStumm IncGamers Member

Starting out as Meteorb

Hi!

I am really new to diablo and feeling lost right now. For my first build I choose to make a Meteorb because it seems to be very recommended build and it looks versatile. I got rushed and followed baal bots to level 82, but I have basically no gear, so for example monsters in Hell Act1 seem pretty difficult for me. So do you have any suggestions on what I should do next? I am trying to do some NM mephisto runs to get some gear for trade, but I've yet to see him drop any thing interesting, especially compared to things people list in the trade forum. I am currently trying to find trades for Tal rasha stuff but I don't have much I stuff I can offer in exchange. It seems that most people will want pgems and runes for stuff like this, and NM Mepth does not really drop that, and I he is not that easy to get to anyway.

So I guess my main questions are these:
    Should I be looking for gems and runes over NM mephisto drops?
    What are good places to find runes and gems?
    Is meteorb even a good build for what I am trying to do? Which builds are better? Some guides seem to say that pure blizzard is better for mephisto runs.

My Stats:
    Lvl 82
    Str: 84, Dex: 157, Vit: 187, En: 85

Fireball: 1640-1862, Orb: 267-282, Meteor: 3512-3742
    Def: 441 Chance to block: 75%
    Life: 610 Mana: 429

Gear:
    Artisan's Helm with 3 ptopazes
    Breastplate
    11 resistance to all amulet
    10fcr + 12% mf ring
    42 mana + 10% mf ring
    Tal rasha's lidless eye
    Whistan's Guard
    9 mana + 30 cold resist belt
    28 lightning resists boots
    22% mf gloves

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: Starting out as Meteorb

The transition from no gear to decently geared can take a while. NM Meph can actually drop some valuable items, like Herald of Zakarum or Stone of Jordon - but primarily your goal through him is more getting decent gear to get started, like a skin of the vipermagi, magefists and things of that nature.

Pure blizzard would be better for Meph, but only because it would kill him faster - the drawback being you'd be a lot less versatile as there are plenty of cold immunes.

Countess is a prime source for runes, but really only in Hell. Council in NM can be easy for flawless gems to transmute, but you'd want to mix it up as they should be quick kills in NM and "too fast" as too many games too quickly on bnet results in temp bans.

The pits in Hell can drop a tal plate, albeit expect to do many runs - as you're new to D2 and have no real gear, you're probably not going to be efficient enough to hunt there yet. Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 can also drop one (and just like pits almost every item in game) and only the uniques can spawn cold immune (rare), so its a cold sorc's main hunting ground. Also, as most of the enemies are slow moving, its one of the easier areas.

You have a lot in Dex, something I wouldn't bother with as going for max block is only worthwhile with certain shields and even then I prefer spirits for the extra damage.

In your current situation, I'd probably do Meph, Chaos, shenk, eldritch, pindle, and maybe andy.

3. Ravenheart

Ravenheart IncGamers Member

It would strongly depend what you plan to hunt or wish to hunt. I will admit that starting out from little eq to alot of eq is a difficult advancement.

I myself started from scratch like a month ago after quiting d-2 and started with nothing and now im pretty well equiped after mfing and investing time into the game again.

I would say pick a build and find what is best to hunt with that build and seek to find items you can trade and move up. Example- had a ok raven frost laying around; traded it for a 199 Ed arreats face, found someone that would trade a vex for it..then used that vex for a Hoto; got a low roll so used it to trade for Ist's i got lite Gcs for; so just play the market with what you find and see where it takes you.

I would agree that a tal set would be ideal to shoot for; but it may be easier to just get a shako; vipermagi; magefist; silkweave; occy; spirit,etc...and go from there..all fairly low end eq and not expensive.

I also agree you prob have too much dex invested and should rarely shoot to go max block on a sorc unless you use specific shields; tho for PVM you should generally go for max vita or a Es build.

P.S- The biggest key to mfing to get rich is knowing what to pick up and what not too. I figure many people don't pick up items that could potentially be worth alot on the market but just dont know it; so know what to look for.

4. MStumm

MStumm IncGamers Member

I don't really know what areas to run because until very recently all of the ones listed in the guides gave me a ton of trouble. I managed to improve my equipment a bit by trading pgems, so now I can do any area in nightmare pretty well. I have no idea which areas are worth running more than others. So far I have not received any offers for the stuff I have and the nicest things I found I got by leeching exp from baal bots.

I went for max block after Whistan's guard dropped, and it made a huge difference. I went form having to walk slowly through Durance of Hate 2 in NM to teleporting. Hell difficulty still gives me troubles. So I am a little hesitant to go without blocking. Maybe I should look for a different shield?

In terms of equipment, I got tal rasha's orb, helmet, belt and I have a few affordable offers for the amulet so I should get that soon. I really need a better armor as the breast plate does not really cut it. I'll look into other armors you mentioned while looking for Tal rasha's.

As for my end-game goal I actually want to be able to do uber Tristram!

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Uber Trist is pretty much a place reserved for melee builds and a well geared summoner. A melee sorc can, but I'd recommend other classes. Of course, a sorc can help mf gear for another build =)

As far as where you should be mfing - right now NM as you have next to nothing and need to get some essentials, like magefists, a decent armor or nef+lum and decent 2 socket armor, etc.

With a fast enough teleport, you can bounce through without having to be so timid - granted NM I find the dolls MORE dangerous because the merc tends to kill them if they get too close while I'm teleporting.

I'm not a fan of max block sorcs, but whistan's is a solid shield if you do. Hell will give you difficulty simply because you're lacking a decent setup. Once your gear is better setup and your resists, fcr, and merc survivability are higher, Hell will be a lot easier.

6. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

As for where to go in NM, I'd suggest:

Andariel
    Mephisto
    The Countess - for runes

andy & mephi should be able to drop decent items for trade even on NM level, a Vipermagi should be pretty easy to trade for, especially if you're not to fussed on the resistance roll.

Personally i'd always suggest going vita not block and using a spirit monarch, but that's more preference than right vs wrong.

7. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Too much focus on MF in your current gear.

Before you get the better stuff (shako, vmagi, etc, or just skip to full Tal's which is what I do), get the following asap:

- 'Spirit' sword;
    - 'Spirit' monarch; (the biggest investment yet, but well worth it)
    - 'Stealth' armor; (or trade for a low Vmagi)
    - 'Lore' helmet;
    - Magefists;
    - 'Insight' polearm for your merc.

Low FCR is your main issue at the moment. No lvl82 sorc should have trouble teleporting through NM Durance, be it vita, ES or MB. Once you get to 63 FCR bp, decent res and hp (800+ sounds reasonable), you should be able to tele to and moat Hell Meph without too much trouble.

8. Ravenheart

Ravenheart IncGamers Member

As already stated; You would more less be looking to kill NM andy; meph; council; countess and maybe even some baal runs+ act 5 area's. Generally you looking to get strong enough to manage in act 1 hell; then you can slowly progress from there.

Pgems can get you some basic equipment going for the most part; from there you would be looking to start saving up runes or hope you get lucky and get the more expensive pieces as you go. A full tals set would make you strong enough to do act 1 hell and on; depending what other pieces of eq you got to work with.

I would also encourage to go more a vita build rather than max block; since Imo its a just overall more prefered and objectively stronger general PVM choice for a sorc. A spirit shield would be what to shoot for if u go Vita; then find the best you can for the rest of your eq slots Tals don't take up.

When you can get strong enough; running hell countess would be viable to find you some runes and pits and mauseleum in blood ravens area to give yourself a chance to find something good.

for the most part; getting over that hump to deal with hell easy enough to be able to start mfing regularly can be a chore; but once you hit that point; then its just a matter of how much luck you have in finding items to develop some wealth

9. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

I find that when you are poor it is in fact bad to try to look for your own items. The people who are rich in items in the trade forum have mf characters who can survive and thrive in the later areas of hell with a high amount of mf and thus can find about 5 times more tradeable items per hour than your sorc can. However, even a low level sorc should be able to do the countess, and mf doesn't matter there. About 500 runs should net you enough craft runes, um/pul/mal/ist runes, pgems and terror keys to get the full Tal's set and a spirit shield. Then you can begin running the actual hell act bosses effectively.

10. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Interesting (and correct imo) statement Turtle, at the lower levels of gear, it's almost certainly better to forget about mf'ing and stick to runes/pgems and trade that way.
    Even at semi rich level (I'll call that post Enigma or equivalent) it's still damn profitable to trade bulk low runes and pgems.