Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting out again

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by SquirrelMan, Aug 31, 2006.

1. SquirrelMan

SquirrelMan IncGamers Member

Starting out again

I'm coming back to Diablo, and I have two questions.

First, I never got very wealthy, never had too many uniques when I played. So I want my first character to be an MFer. I'm thinking of Blizzard Sorc, that seems to be a good one, but is it really that good to limit myself to one element? I do think the Sorc is probably the best MFer because of Teleport, but otherwise I'm unsure of which spec to do.

Second, What realm should I play on? Does it really matter? Do each of the realms have about equal populations, and equal amounts of PKers/dupers/botters/annoying people like that?

Thanks for the help.

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

1. One element sorcs kill bosses faster, but must rely on their merc to kill any immune enemies they may encounter. Dual-elemental sorcs kill bosses a bit slower since they can't focus entirely on one skill, but they can clear entire areas without much trouble.

2. Each realm has its share of troubles. Dupes and morons populate all of the realms.

3. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

A pure Cold Sorceress, dedicated to Hell Meph MF-runs, is one of the best options to begin with for sure :thumbsup: !

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I prefer a fireball/meteor/frozen orb sorceress. She is more versatile and she doesn't have to abort an MF run just because of a few cold immunes (e.g. vampires during a Meph run). She can also do solo Andariel, Mephisto and (with a merc) the Tunnels below the Forgotten City in act 2 and the Chaos Sanctuarium.

5. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I agree with Krischan, the Meteorb sorceresses are a lot more versatile and can handle pretty much most, if not all situations once you get a solid merc.
    You won't be restricted to only running a couple bosses.

6. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

To be efficient, a Meteorb is much more item-dependant than a pure Cold-sorceress. So, for a beginner, a Cold-sorceress dedicated to Mephisto or Ancients Tunnel is a first step to acquire some wealth. Of course a Meteorb is more versatile, but he said he started playing again, so I assume he's won't have the gear to build a powerful Meteorb, whereas Cold synergies can be pretty effective, even with basic gear :smiley:.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

East and west have the most people, and thus the most duping occurs there. Europe has less of both. The three Asia realms are all quite sparsely populated.
    As for PKers, I haven't seen one of those for a long time, it seemed to go out of fashion.

8. SquirrelMan

yeah, that's pretty much it. I have absolutely no gear to start out with.

I know the thread about building wealth suggested a Meteorb or a Fishymancer, but I dunno about the Fishymancer - teleport seems like it would be too good to lose and it's not like I'm gonna get my hands on Enigma anytime soon.

I do have a question though - if the Meteorb is much more item dependant, doesn't that mean she can't equip as much MF gear? And another one, could I just run Mephisto/wherever the cold sorcs run over and over and get whatever I need to trade for the items I want?

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A blizzard sorc needs less skill boosting gear at the cost of less versatility, so she can wear more MF items. Versus Pindleskin you can wear MF stuff exclusively (which is what I did endlaessly with my last cold sorc - in the first ladder season) and I guess it's the same in the Ancient Tunnels. For these areas you should have a good mercenary. I recommend the act 2 nightmare defensive one. As there are quite cheap runewords for polearms and other cheap merc items like unique/set helms with life leech and lots of armors, it shouldn't be a problem to equip such a merc.

Before doing MF runs in hell mode ,you should do a few hundreds of Meph runs in nightmare which will give you most of the good gear needed for hell mode. A few Countess runs will give you the runes for the mentioned cheap runewords. The Countess in nightmare will be good enough for that.

10. SquirrelMan

Ok...

Also, I heard that if I give the Infinity runeword to my merc, the conviction aura removes immunities.

First of all, is that true? Second, is Infinity one of those impossible-to-get ones that I'll have no chance of getting on my first character?

11. Evrae Altana

Yes, Conviction can remove immunities, but Conviction works at 1/5 effectiveness versus immunes, so it will not remove all immunities.

12. SquirrelMan

So in the end you guys would recommend a Blizzard sorc for just starting out? I'd just get to nm/hell and run Meph for anything I need?

13. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

If you can MP then a single tree is fine. But if you want to solo you will have to go dual tree and for that I recommend a Blizzballer (blizzard/ice blast or glacial spike/meteor/fireball). Or you could get a Fishymancer and get a teleport amulet; no gear required.

14. SquirrelMan

yeah I'm gonna play Mutliplayer.

How hard is it to get a teleport amulet? i've never seen one before... does it have charges or is it just like "+1 teleport"?

15. Evrae Altana

It has charges.

16. SquirrelMan

Hm. Well, I dunno then. Fishymancer looks good for the no gear requirement, and getting rid of immunties with Amp Damage, but I don't know how easy/hard it would be to keep getting teleport amulets. I'm certainly not getting Enigma anytime soon.

17. Evrae Altana

Amulets with teleport charges can be gambled fairly easily.

18. SquirrelMan

Ok then! I guess that's it. Fishymancer it is. Thanks for all the help!