Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

starting hell, leaf better than duel spirit?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nasirjones, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Nasirjones

Nasirjones IncGamers Member

I am a new player playing the game for the first time. Playing all fire sorc (going to change to hybrid soon bc waiting for merc to kill everything immune is slow). I found a +3 firebolt staff with two sockets and put Leaf in it. So that gives my firebolt +9 which gives my Fireball +3 and synergies. I have about 50% FCR. A spirit one hand weapon and rhyme lowers my damage greatly and gives me utility that I don't really notice. My plan is to stick with my fireball build and farm the mausoleum until I get a monarch shield to do duel spirits or spirit and a nice one hander I find and switch to hybrid. Can Leaf be really my best option right now to remain pure fire?

2. LongingForDeath

LongingForDeath IncGamers Member

Leaf is probably more suitable for normal and nightmare difficulty. If your base staff had +3 to Fireball on it, it would be more useful. +skills on items don't boost synergies, so Leaf basically only gives you +3 to your Fireball, but doesn't offer much else. 50% FCR is pretty low. With a Fireball sorc you want at least 63%, better would be 105%, but that's a bit harder to achieve without a Spirit Monarch. What does the rest of your gear look like?

NoFro19 and Nasirjones like this.
  3. Nasirjones

Oh +skills don't synergize wow! The +3 to fire mastery should synergize a little right?

Level 78. Can run the mausoleum in 10 mins on /players 4 including town selling and sorting

Helm is the peasant unique +1 skills
    Ammy is +1 skills
    Armor is Stealth
    rings are magic FCR + L resist
    Belt is 60 to health
    Boots are +25% MF, 10 Hit recovery, F+L resist
    Gloves are bloodfist

I can easily shop stores and find a +3 fireball or at least +2 staff with two sockets. I was using firebolt through NM. Now I use fireball bc I gave my merc insight and can spam more. From my understanding now, duel Spirits would give +4 to all skills which would beat my current Leaf in fireball dmg not considering the FCR and increased resist. Only problem is I don't have a monarch.

Can you have x2 spirit? Crystal sword and monarch. Is it redundant somehow?
    Should I continue to farm mausoleum if I enjoy it enough to look for better gear/chance at something really nice?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. LongingForDeath

No problem at all having 2 Spirits. That's what my untwinked sorc is using at the moment, too.

If you enjoy running the Mausoleum, you can keep doing it. 10 minutes is pretty slow, but as long as you enjoy it... Also, the Mausoleum is a level 85 area if I'm not mistaken, so every item in the game can drop there. Personally, given the equipment you have, I would farm NM Mephisto for a while. At least until you get a Skin of the Vipermagi (unique Serpentskin Armor) and Magefist (unique Light Gauntlets). You'll get some other good stuff in the process, too. Hell Andariel is also an option if you can handle her. She's weak to fire damage, but packs quite a punch with her poison. Oh, also use an odd number for the player settings. /players4 drop the same as /players3, but the monsters have more life and you get more XP.

+skills always add to Fire Mastery, which will always boost your fire damage. Fire Mastery isn't a synergy like Firebolt or Meteor.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    NoFro19, Nasirjones and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  5. Nasirjones

thank you very helpful! I wonder what a good time for running mausoleum would be. I will try hell andy and nm meph

6. NoFro19

NoFro19 IncGamers Member

Nightmare adariel would be a solid option to farm for gear as well. Not as large of a drop pool as mephy but she drops lots of jewelry so that means a much higher chance of iding a tals Amy or stone of jordon! Anyways good luck

LongingForDeath likes this.
  7. LongingForDeath

Not sure if there is a time reference for that area. It's very uncommon to run the Mausoleum, since it's far away from waypoints and has a low boss density. More common level 85 areas to run are The Pit (in Tameo Highlands) and Ancient Tunnels (in Lost City). They are more dangerous and have fire immunes, though.

8. Nasirjones

speaking of timed runs, I was farming that guy in A5 that always drops two drops near the skellies. The red portal closed and I found out it was because I got the waypoint. So now I know to not get that waypoint. Is there anything else I should be aware of that can permanently make my life harder? I know of the Andy "bug" and to not kill the cow king. Anything else I should be aware of?

9. Vildecor

Vildecor IncGamers Member

Not quite game-changing, but many people will suggest not grabbing the Flayer Jungle and Kurast Bazaar waypoints (at least) if you plan on doing a lot of farming at the chests in Lower Kurast. It only helps lower the amount of mis-clicking involved.

Also, welcome to the SPF!

Nasirjones likes this.
  10. Nasirjones

thank you! I'm delighted to see an active community for such an old game. I didn't think there would be one when I first started looking for guides :)

MizzouFTW likes this.
  11. MizzouFTW

MizzouFTW IncGamers Member

Welcome to the thunderdome!

Nasirjones likes this.
  12. Kartongen

Kartongen IncGamers Member

*Kicks shins*

Well, with that out if the way: Welcome to the forums. Nice to see another face here.

Nasirjones likes this.
  13. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Welcome here.

Nasirjones likes this.
  14. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

Welcome!

You mentioned respeccing to a hybrid sorceress, which skills were you planning on going for?

15. sir_cyclops

sir_cyclops IncGamers Member

Welcome! Join in on some stuff like untwinked 99er!

16. Nasirjones

I went 22 blizz 15 ice bolt 5 ice mastery
    20 firebolt, 22 fire mastery, 22 fireball
    1 in all the prereqs, and static field, telekinesis, warmth

I'm not on right now so that's an estimate of the build. its working better. I'm in act 5 hell about to do nihl

I don't think I will ever do the 98 to 99 grind! I set out to do that but I see it takes years!? I may do some rune runs or join a group to hardcore. We will see.

Thanks again for the hello. Nice to meet you all

sir_cyclops likes this.
  17. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

OK, so you went for a Blizzballer-ish build, nice. That should help you run Meph 'til your eyes bleed :p

For future reference, when discussing builds and skill points, most people tend to primarily indicate actual hard points they've placed in skills and then maybe in parentheses indicate the level after +skill items are taken into account. If you use a switch weapon, this is usually indicated by '/' followed by the skills on your switch side.

Something like this:
    20 (22) Blizzard
    13 (15) Ice Bolt
    03 (05) Cold Mastery
    18 (20) Fire Bolt
    20 (22) Fire Mastery
    20 (22) Fireball
    1 in all the prereqs, Static Field, Teleport & Warmth.

In this instance, it's generally straight forward to see you have +2 to all skills, but when you get skillers and better gear, it just makes it easier for other members to see what your hard points look like. Plus, your gear can change quite a bit but once you settle on a build and reach a highish level, your hard points don't change much unless you respec and as someone mentioned above, only hard points count towards synergies.

You mentioned you had 13 in 'Ice Bolt', did you mean 'Ice Blast'? I would advocate for Glacial Spike over both as it freezes groups and though it does less on screen damage than Ice Blast, I find it far safer and more forgiving because it hits multiple enemies. I'd take either Ice Blast or Glacial Spike over Ice Bolt though.

Are you following any particular guide?

sir_cyclops likes this.
  18. Nasirjones

been picking up bits and pieces here and there. I only cast blizz, fireball, teleport, and static field, but I might check out glacials spikes usefulness. I was just putting points in something to synergize blizz dmg.

When you say farm meph, would you do nightmare or hell? I'm currently running NM meph because I can do him 63 times an hour on /p7. Hows my time? I can't find a reference for what I should expect. Some of my runs were 37 seconds, but then sometimes I spent 2 mins in town looking at what I found

19. LongingForDeath

If you can handle hell Meph, then go for him. Farming NM Meph is only useful to get a few essential items that would make hell Meph easier. Also, I wouldn't run him on /p7. Drops are marginally better if not the same as on /p3, but you can run him faster on the lower player setting, which is what matters most in the long-run. 37 seconds per run is a decent time, but has room for improvement. I assume you already have a map where the entrance to level 3 is just a few teleports away from the WP?

20. Nasirjones

yea I found a good map. I was able to do 77 runs in an hour on /p5. I will try /p3 and work on the time. I could probably do 6 an hour on /p1 hell. I think I might keep looking for some upgrades in NM while I have the good map.

edit// I ran a little shy of 400 runs (87/hr best rate) and got skin of viper and snowclash-both upgrades. turned out to be a great idea! I was so reluctant to waste time farming a bad target that I was actually wasting time not farming anything. I might keep hitting him for a bit just for fun and see what else I can drop. Until I misclick the difficulty and reroll the map....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019