Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting from Scratch...SP style

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Friiser, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Starting from Scratch...SP style

I've just started over in SP after a long bout of major life changes (got married, puchased a house, moved to a new state, became a father, changed jobs, built a house, moved again).

My plan is to go for the *grail*, as they say (perhaps minus the high level runes, as it appears I will never get a ZOD). Thank you, ATMA for making our lives so much easier.

My question is, with the mass changes of 1.10 (synergies), and 1.11 (new runewords...cool!?) what builds are the most dominant? In your opinion, what is the best character(s)/builds to attempt a grail run?

I've started a skellimancer since the necro has had the most obvious benefits from the last two patches. Any thoughts welcome.

On a side note, it is good to see that this game, despite its age (anchient in terms of electronics) still has such a strong following. Kudos to all who have contributed!

2. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Welcome to the show :) You may find the new runewords near useless, for the ones that shine have such quantities of high runes required to make, it's not worth the trouble. I'll leave the dominant builds to someone else :p

xxx

nep

3. Fists of Legend

Fists of Legend IncGamers Member

Welcome back. I think saying "major life changes" is a bit of an understatement. Congrats on getting married.:thumbsup: Congrats on becoming a father, here have a cigar and a beer on me at the EMB.

Starting with a skellimancer is most common for returning people. I did it. They have no item dependency at all to complete the game and let you build up a little wealth easily. Meterorb or Blizzard sorceresses are also common but a little more difficult without any items. Since you are going for your grail one or both of those would be a good second character after your necro.

Other character can be good for the job too. The skellimancer and the two sorceresses are just the best for running the most common grail producing mobs. The single player FAQs have some character guides that can be helpful. You can try out some of the other builds there for fun if you get board of running for that grail after a while.

Just remember to have fun. And congrats agian.

4. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

From my own experience i can say, skelemancer is a good choice.Also first build very easy to play can be trapper or javazon - they will help You find many items.And Hammerdin, but i dont like him...

Anyway, my skelemancer has these skills:

20 Raise skeleton
    20 Skeleton mastery
    20 Raise skeletal mage
    5 Clay Golem
    1 Golem mastery
    1 Revive
    1 Corpse explotion
    1 point in each Curse, 1 point in Bone armor.

Then, I think, depends on Your playing style...

Edit:Sorry, i forget say welcome

5. EncrustedDaddy

EncrustedDaddy IncGamers Member

I'm playing with a Barb who's maxing Howl, Axe Mastery, and War Cry. Weird combo (which was the point), but it's fun and it works.

Whatever you decide to build, have fun!

6. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

EMB? I definitely could use a beer and a cigar! Thanks for the kind words and the advice!

7. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

just bring some cookies when you enter in the bar
    i need them badly

8. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Congrats on everything, dude!

If you're wanting a cheap start up character, either the "Meteorb" sorceress, or a frenzy barb. The latter option is not very effective in Hell difficulty, but doesn't need awesome gear, and is a blast to play. Pile on the magic find gear, and he can turn up a few goodies too.

Catch you at the EMB

9. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Congrats on the major life changes! :thumbsup: I'd probably call that the beginning of a new life though. :smiley:

Welcome to the SPF! :wave: and enjoy your stay.

Blizz sorc's are good, but you need to tele past all the cold immunes, fishymancers (summoners,) and Trapsins are all good.

10. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

For a 'feasible' chance at attaining a grail, I think you need a character capable of teleporting to make your runs faster (sorcs? :undecided:).

Skelliemancers (aka Fishymancer's in this forum, in honour of one of our members - NightFish) are great for safety. But honestly, I feel they are too slow to effectively run any area for any significant length of time. Depending on the target, there are more specialized builds that are likely to be more effective over a reasonable amount of time.

My personal advice is to pick characters that you think will be fun to play. If you want to make repeated Magic Find (MF) runs, you should still pick a character that you find fun - it increases your overall odds of maintaining your goal.

By the way, welcome to the SPF.

11. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Arrgh!! It´s a mummy sarcophagus, one of my most hated and feared enemies! :shocked: :sad2: :yikes: :tongue:

That aside, welcome here!

12. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Update:

After a few days of on-and-off playing my fishymancer is lvl 19 and have found a few set items already!

Arctic Binding Belt (who hasn't found this one?)
    Hsarus Iron Stay (ditto)
    Cathan's Seal (I am always disappointed when a green ring turns up to be this)

No Uniques yet...

Runes:
    EL
    ELD
    TAL (countess)

13. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Now up to lvl 27, just put a point in Decrep (for Duriel)

Got Isenhart's Case (another one of those blasted green breast plates) to go with the horns - not too bad for a low level set combo (250%ED on undead) for my Act2 def. merc.

Runes:
    EL
    ELD
    TIR
    TAL

14. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Have fun chasing your grail. Join us for a drink at the EMB later and tell us how it's going.