Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting from Scratch questions (re-introducing myself? lol) der=0

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zargo1z, May 5, 2005.

1. Zargo1z

Zargo1z IncGamers Member

Starting from Scratch questions (re-introducing myself? lol)

Hey everyone!

Hope you guys are doing well, haven't been around here on the D2 forums for a while. thought I would stop by and say hello. Good to see that this game is still pretty active and going strong. dont know why but I find myself to keep coming back to D2 after a while. I got into WoW some and ended up with a level 60 undead rogue, but I dont know, kinda getting bored of online rpg's I guess. I always find myself in this mood to play D2, but it usually ends up with me doing so much research on the game and spending so much time planing an organizing my toon that i end up burnt out on D2 before I even get into playing it much lol. Guess some of you might understand what I mean. Guess this time around I hope it will be diffrent and I'll spend more time playing the game then reading up and researching it lol.

Guess this post is sort of like my reintroduction to the spf forums as well. So hopefully you guys will start seeing me around here more often and I'll try to contribute to the spf community as much as I can. I'm pretty straight edge when it comes to rpgs. think my first one was dragon warrior on regular nintendo lol I play them to complete them 100% complete without cheats. I enjoy taking pride in my toons that I build up and enjoy them much more if they are strong and powerful in the end and got there 100% cheat free with their own gear. anyways enough babble about myself, on to the From scratch questions I have hopefully you guys can help me out with.

what I have is a complete freash install of diablo2 and expansion 1.10 with ATMA ready and good to go. I mainly want to play a frenzy barb but I know they are more then gear dependant esp at higher difficulties in single player mode. and by looking at the posts here. I know I'm better off starting my frenzy barb after I get a good base of items banked.

So my question is, What would be the best class to start off with untwinked to get through the game in single player mode so I can get a good item database going? from what I seen i'll probably just fire up a skellymancer (thanks nightfish) and use him to beat the game the first time through and get MF gear on him to get my item database established. The thing is though, isn't nightfish's skellymancer guide a 1.09 guide? I've not played in 1.10 much and was wondering if the skellymancer is still a great way to go into the game untwinked first time around? would the skellymancer guide still work pretty well in 1.10? or is there another build that i might want to try?

Thanks in advance guys for comments and opnions. And also, how do you guys determine what stats you need with what toons? my problem with all my guys i make is that i'm never sure where to put their stat points (how much in str, dex, vit ect ect) so i want to plan out this necro's future a little bit before i start playing him so I know where to go with stat points.

Thanks again, and sorry for the long post.

Zargo

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

NF's skelliemancer is 1.10. skellies were useless in hell in 1.09.
    the best way to go is probably either a skelliemancer. or a meteorb sorc who will have an easier time running meph.

welcome back btw :D enjoy your stay

3. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Welcome back! I think you were before my time, though...

I tend to be a bit of an overplanner myself. (My poor MP tesladin is driving me nuts as I try to figure out the "perfect" set up for him within my resources.) Outside of him and my MF sorc who comes out to play for MFOs and the like, I've moved over to HC, with mostly untwinked or lightly twinked characters. I actually find my untwinked characters quite freeing. I'm not worried about finding or trading for the perfect gear, and just find ways to use what I find. I've also found I enjoy limiting the number of runs I can do on an area, in many cases just doing single pass full clears. Again, the forces me to work with what I have and not stress out over some perfect set-up. (And HC keeps me from getting frustrated. If a character doesn't work, they won't survive. End of story.) I know this playstyle isn't for everyone, but I thought I would mention it, since it keeps me happy with the game.

4. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Welcome back...

I have had D2 forever, but never played any higher level characters before. I'd love to give you sagelike advice, but alas, I'm kind of clueless myself as of yet. I would definately gear your first character back toward MF'ing though.

5. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

It seems like the two standard untwinked magic find characters are the fishymancer and the meteorb sorc. I know the fishymancer works, as I used it myself to get started, but the sorc does have the advantage of teleport, which is just so d*** convenient. It really just depends on which you will enjoy more, as you'll be doing quite a few runs to get started up from scratch. Of course there are other options, and I'm sure someone will be along to recommend at least a couple. Have fun, and welcome back.

mv

6. Zargo1z

Zargo1z IncGamers Member

this is usually what I do, I tend to mainly stick with the gear and items I find myself. I just feel comfortable this way. and thanks for all the replies guys. Is one thing i like about the spf, enjoy the very mature friendly atmosphere here.

Zargo

7. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

Thats exactly the same as me! :D
    welcome back!

I'd say go with a sorc for a first character - hell meph is probably the easiest place to get a lot of the items in the game..
    my first two characters when i restarted were a fishymancer and a meteorb and i barely play the fishymancer anymore while on the other hand my sorc has 500+ MF and is running meph or pindle everyday..

8. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Imo, if you have nothing at all the best way to go to get itamz quick is to start a meteorb sorc for NM and Hell Meph and once you're ready to run areas use something else. The skelliemancer can run meph but he's not really good at it. You'll want to use those guys to run areas.

Oh, yeah, I never wrote and 1.09 guides, shame on you. :p

9. Vinmar

Vinmar IncGamers Member

10. Snuva

Snuva IncGamers Member

I would definitely start a blizzard sorc instead. You can teleport past cold immunes and once you get some items from hell Meph and NM Andy you'll be able to mf faster with the blizzard sorceress (imho) than with a meteorb. Merc with decent gear will be able to kill cold immunes for you.

Snuva

11. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Howdy Zargo1z!

Stat allocation tends to be pretty relaxed with the skellimancer. When I finished hell with him, he still had 60 stat pts unassigned (and 16 skill pts).

Its your first char and untwinked so just go with a slow and steady pace. Not much planning req since you don't have items to start with anyway.

12. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Welcome back!

I say go with skellymancer first...he can get some basic goods like Peasant Crown, The Ward and such and then you can make your sorceress.

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I agree with Snuva, the best way to get good items fast is farming Hell Meph. And Blizzard sorc is far better than meteorb. She can do Pindle runs later...

14. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

For countess runs having fire damage is nice though. The Countess herself is of course CI/FI so killing her is the merc job but the pack she spawns with is CI and if you can take those out in an instant your merc will do a rather fast work...if you have to wait for him to own down the entire pack...takes a while.
    Blizz probably kills Meph somewhat faster, but it doesnt take that long with meteor either. But yeah, if farming him is the sole purpose of that character Snuva and Hrus are prolly' right.

15. Snuva

Snuva IncGamers Member

My pure blizzard sorcerers merc kills the entire pack quite fast. But I think it has something to do with the ethereal Reapers Toll and tons of IAS he has. Most likely Zargo1z won't be able to effectively run the Countess with untwinked blizzard sorc for quite a while, but imho the playing time is better spent elsewhere. And if you really like countess, you should do the running with a lightning sorceress instead (equipping her with the good gear that you get from Mephisto thanks to the fast farming ability of the pure blizzard)

This is almost starting to sound like propaganda.

Snuva

16. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Welcome (back) to the SPF

I have to agree with Snuva on the blizz sorc. It was MUCH faster with my blizz sorc running hell Meph than with a Meteorb sorc. If you're not in need of mid-high runes then Countess runs just aren't going to help you that much.

The difference between the 2 is mainly down to the higher lvl of CM you can get with a blizz sorc, and the difference between a lvl1-5 CM that relieson +skills to reach a high lvl, and a max'ed CM is quite big. Meph runs under a minute long are definately doable with a blizz sorc, even with a relatively low damage blizz (mine does 4k, and the runs are about 45 seconds, including a long loading time from a 3 year old PC). They can also kill anything non-CI easily in Hell on higher players settings.

17. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Another vote for blizz sorc. My meteorb runs countess, but is too slow for my tastes for meph. I am starting a blizz sorc soon just for running meph, pindle and ancient tunnels.