Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting from scratch - my plan for building wealth

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baltha, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

So , I'm on holiday now, away from pc and diablo 2. And I'm planning my fresh restart with my meteorb. This is my plan:

Normal Countess just to get the runes for Taleth and Tirral to make low levels less tiresome. Already done. Was done in less than 10 runs.

NM Meph will be my first serious stop. I want to move from him asap . Perhaps a couple of sorc items like vipermagi and occy and a couple of items for merc like shaftstop and vamp gaze would be great Do you know what tc is reasonable to expect from him? Not the max (I know its tc 57) just something likely to drop.

Hell meph will be my second stop I'll probably do a fixed number like 1k runs or so.

Then LK trying to get good charms, jewels and runes for at least Enigma or Infinity depending on my trav build.

Final stop will be a85 (wsk? ) to get tc 87 and bases and trav to get runes I'm missing.

Pretty straightforward I guess. What do you guys think? What is your approach for building wealth from zero?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

I always run NM Countess to acquire runes for the rune words I depend upon in the mid game. Spirit, Insight, Rhyme, Lore, Strength, Black, White, etc. As a bonus, base types for these rune words frequently drop on the way to her.

3. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Usually it goes like this:
    -> Make Pure Blizzard sorc
    -> Get to NM Meph and farm gear for Hell Meph runs (Chancies, Occy, Skullder's, War Travs, Goldwrap, Nagels etc) and some decent enough gear to finish the game without dying
    -> Respec to Blizzballer/Blova/Meteorb; Guardian
    -> Run Hell Meph for Shako, Stormshield, Wizzy other stuffs
    -> Run LK for CtA, Enigma
    -> Continue with other Chars or AT/Pindle depending on drops and patience running LK

4. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I always liked nm andy for the basics. No class specific uniques, but very high probability for vipermagi, and best chance for soj in the game. I usually skip nm meph and level on nm pindle until ready for hell meph.

Friiser likes this.
  5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Also make a few stops at the nightmare Countess until you have the runes for Insight, Spirit (in a sword for now, with any amount of FCR) and Rhyme. Don't use a precious Larzuk reward on the Spirit sword. 4 socket swords start dropping from about the nightmare Countess tower on IIRC, incidentally. Just keep your eyes open for it, it won't take long until you have one.

Like helvete said, when doing Meph runs, I suggest to visit Andariel as well (you hopefully get her bugged first kill drop all the time). Deal with Andy at the and because (1) she will probably be poison you and (2) you will start in act 1 in the next game then where you can reach the waypoint much faster in the next game than in act 3. Also get the merc killed versus Meph and Andy, he spoils the moat trick and stirs up many monsters that you could otherwise have left undisturbed. Andy would probably get him killed quickly anyway, her poison is deadly versus mercs.

6. Baltha

I hate Andariel, quest bugged or not xD. It is just not efficient to run her. And imposible to get a good map for her and Meph at the same time.

ioupainmax likes this.
  7. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

+1 for bugged NM Andariel runs. After not getting a SOJ in over 10 years of playing I specifically built a pure fire sorc with the sole purpose of getting my first SOJ. IIRC I got it in less than 1k runs. Mind you, she was twinked from the get go. Perhaps after you've gotten some better equipment for her and your merc is stronger, come back to NM and attempt to pick up that SOJ.

8. krischan

Not as low as the chance for rolling up a +2 Seraph's Hymn (2004) which I... wait, I've been telling this story at least once a year:)

Friiser likes this.
  9. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I usually do a chaotic mix of obsessively rerolling, time traveling, and general time wasting instead of focusing on any coherent goal. However, if I actually DID focus for once it would look a little like this...

Normal: Charged bolt / lightning to about 40. Fill the inventory with blue pots and spam spam spam. Shenk runs until the levels slow down, then a bit of Baal. Burn my first reroll to spec into Blizzard.
    Nightmare: do everything in my power to build an Insight, stick it on a might merc, then hold down the RMB and Tele through the entire act. Do whatever it takes to move as fast as possible, even if it means putting sapphires in gear, hard points into energy or teleport, anything to move fast. Reroll to vita sorc before taking the red portal.
    Hell: get to A2 ancient tunnels and live there forever. Die a lot but in the process get very good with your hands until you die less. Gear and skill will come with time, it always does.

Albatross likes this.
  10. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

my strat:
    blizz sorc, go straight to hell AT ;)
    normal is probably easier/faster if you start as fire sorc, though

Noodle and GooberGrape like this.
  11. Albatross

Albatross Diabloii.Net Member

Pure blizzard to hell AT is pretty much what I did last time I restarted. I got a lot of nice S/U stuff by now, but charms are really lacking. My blizz sorc, who is nearing level 97, still has to embarrass herself with several plain 5% MF charms. I'd recommend a trip to LK to alleviate this issue, otherwise level 85 areas have everything you need.

12. pharphis

any time spent outside of alvl 85 areas is time spent not finding Tyrael's

13. Baltha

Is tyrael relevant to "building wealth" anyway? No, it isn't! Next!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    ioupainmax likes this.
  14. pharphis

15. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

What is your definition of wealth? Knowing that may help us to better answer your question. My definition of wealth is to obtain every item in the game, aka the grail, but yours may be different and that's okay.

16. Owlie

Owlie Diabloii.Net Member

It might not be exactly what I think you are looking for (efficiency?), and I'm guessing you've spent much more time with the game than me, but having recently restarted myself, here's my perspective. Go self-found, take your time and play multiple chars simultaneously. Try out all the great builds without the perfect gear - it gives you a deeper appreciation and makes acquiring the gear much more fulfilling. I remember the last time I played burning through so many Naj's Puzzlers before getting the Enigma, it made it that much more satisfying when I did.

Here's a story from this restart. It is not a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about (my luck was, frankly, unbelievable), but I'll get to the point. When I got the itch to play again, I knew loading up my old stashes would suck all the fun out of it. For whatever reason I started as a bowazon (I'm a noob, never played it before). It didn't take me long to find out how gear-depended she is. I got frustrated and couldn't resist making a sorc. I barely made it to Hell Meph and ran him very, very slowly. Man, at that point finding any half-useful rare/set/unique is so satisfying! Especially if, like me, you didn't play for a long time and had forgotten even the small amount you had known. These runs have a very different quality to the execute-execute-efficiency-efficiency quality of the end game runs. It's you against the game, not you against the repetitive strain injury.

After having enough of Meph (I too wanted to retire to AT as soon as possible, but a Meph rack dropped Dusk Shrouds pretty regularly or I would have tired of him much sooner. No Ormus' dropped, though.), I was able to get to Cows thinking it was high time to make a Spirit. This is when my ridiculous rune luck started: in the first 3 runs, not only did I find a 4os Monarch, but a Sur and a Lo and a cold skiller and +3 cold skills magic amulet. That was it, I was hooked! Having respecced my bowazon to LF/CS and remembering how fun that char is, I just had to try and make Infinity. And, ludicrously, in less than 500 LK runs I found another Sur and a Ber. (Last time it took me many, many thousand LK runs before dropping a Ber.) Being self-found however, now I needed to find a base (and an Ist xD).

By the time I was sick of running Cows and settled for a cubed 4os eth Thresher, I decided to make Enigma first. Deciding against cubing up to a Jah on principle, I focused on leveling up the designated Trav barb I had started (I also started a Pit Berserker, a couple of more sorcs and a Pit necro. Hooked!). And this is when my absolute favourite (if not the rarest) all-time find happened: a Jah dropped in Trav while *questing* with the Trav barb! Here I was just trying to get to the skill points reward in Act 4. I had a stupid grin on my face for hours after that. I really, really like when the char that will be using the item finds the item. Alas, no Naj's Puzzlers in Trav this time around.

I didn't struggle as much as I would have liked, but this is my point: it is a much more enjoyable story than "did 4k LK runs and cubed up to an Enigma."

P.S. I've just realized I should probably try the untwinked 99er thing! The 99er part is much less appealing, though undoubtedly more satisfying.

Zyr likes this.
  17. krischan

I would also do a couple of hell Meph+Andy runs, so you have a good amount of bread and butter uniques and set items. Something like 500-1000 runs are a reasonable amount. Another few in nightmare might be useful as well. I suggest to do that after finishing nm and leveling up to perhaps 70-75 with nightmare Baal, else you will struggle a lot with mana depletion... Meph and Andy are best done without a merc, so there's no Insight aura available.

18. Baltha

Getting every item in the game is getting the grial for me, and that's a way bigger project. If you want the grial then sure, @Pharhis is right : hit an area 85 asap, for months and hope for your tyrael. I'm not ready to commit so much time to a huge project like that, even with my full twinked chars

What I'm talking about here is getting just the useful ones. From the humble vipermagi to the elusive griffons eye, farming enigma, infinity and all those shiny runewords as soon as posible. That changes the value of some targets, Pindle for example is more useful if you arent going for the grail.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018