Starting fresh, any advice?

Ashmer Amadeus

Diabloii.Net Member
Starting fresh, any advice?

I've just deleted all of my items, and both stashes, along with all my charicters except for Istvan who I stripped of stuff. I kept Istvan so I can make hardcore charicters in a tourny comes up I want to play in. Any advice on what to make for a first charicter? Can't be item dependant because I've gotten rid of all my stuff. Even better if I can kill Duriel without being killed a million times. Thanks all.
 

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member
well if you dont have any items and your starting fresh i would suggest a fishymancer. you get a char thats not item dependent and can be used as a mf char. Thart you almost never get hit when playing one is also a good thing
 

Lucky_Seven

Diabloii.Net Member
Pure Blizzard Sorc :) because you want to farm mephisto for new items.
Teleport is the key to fast Mephisto Runs and a Blizzard kills the bad guy really fast. :D
 

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Ashmer Amadeus said:
Just not sure about how well they MF.
Very good when it comes to area runs & Baal. Not that good when it comes to hell meph. I'd suggest to make a sorc (blizzard or meteorb) if you want to farm that guy.
 

ron

Diabloii.Net Member
Summoners are awesome first characters. I just did the same thing you are doing about a little over a month ago. My first character was the summon necro. I had him wearing 4 ptopaz armor by act 3 NM. I played him as fast as I could to get him mfing in hell. I was doing hell Pits with him by level 68. I found a few nice things for follow-on characters, and moved him the rest of the way through hell. I started running Baal with him at level 80. He is already level 89 and still running Baal.

I have since made 2 sorcs, 1 blizz and 1 meteorb. I have a wind druid that just entered Hell, and a Tesladin in Act1 hell as well.

I would have to say the key to my success so far would be due to the Summon Necro leading the charge and finding me good gear for the sorcs and the pally.

Like NF said, you will need something else to run meph effectively, but the summoner can even do that for you until you get a sorc going. I use a teleport staff on switch, so raising an army at pindle, hitting trav council, then teleport to durance 3 whack the council and meph doesn't take too long with a good map. I found a 26% Mara's from the council in durance 3, so they are worth killing for sure.

Good luck on your restart, I for one am looking forward to hearing about your progress!
 

Ashmer Amadeus

Diabloii.Net Member
Good enough, I'll start with a fishymancer, see how far I can get. I'll try running the pits or some such. Hopefully get enough to power a MeteOrb sorc for Meph farming.
 

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
I just restarted as well. I completely erased all stashes, characters, everything yesterday. Last night I started Polgara, a Sorcie. I was going to go Meteorb with her to run Meph, but reading the above posts, I might go Blizzard/Meteor. I got her to level 7 and just have points in some pre-reqs right now. I'm going to miss my Oculus though. And I never got to use my very first Arreat's Face that I found. But I'm sure I'll find another one. :)

Edit: My merc is going to miss the Upped Kelpie and Upped Shaftstop that I deleted.

But honestly, isn't the first 10 - 15 levels of any character the best? You are finding new stuff and leveling fast. I love that part of making a toon.
 
Fartarian. Im sure you can find a wirts leg from somewhere, although of all the times ive run pindle, he's never dropped me one. i must have bad luck.
 

ron

Diabloii.Net Member
Lucky_Seven said:
Best place to get first items is NM/Hell Meph, Pits don't drop lots of items.

Yes, I did skip over the part where I did a few hundred nm meph runs. I also did quite a few NM andy runs. When I had a good base of mid level twink items for characters and mercs, I moved on to hell difficulty.

Now my Meteorb sorc does hell countess, my blizz sorc does meph/pindle/ancient tunnels, and my necro does pits/baal/trav council.

The other characters just quest, very little mf gear on them. Between my 2 sorcs and necro I find all the items I will ever need.
 

Ashmer Amadeus

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I'll start with a fishymancer. I've played one before and they hit the ground running, where sorcs don't really gain any power till after level 30ish. I'll keep the Fartarian in mind, but doesn't that require modding one of the files? I'm not sure where I'll MF first, but I'll get it all worked out.
 

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
Ashmer Amadeus said:
I think I'll start with a fishymancer. I've played one before and they hit the ground running, where sorcs don't really gain any power till after level 30ish. I'll keep the Fartarian in mind, but doesn't that require modding one of the files? I'm not sure where I'll MF first, but I'll get it all worked out.
I started a Fishymancer a bit ago and just couldn't get into it. I like being part of the killing and not just leaving it to an army of minions.
 

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
Very good when it comes to area runs & Baal. Not that good when it comes to hell meph. I'd suggest to make a sorc (blizzard or meteorb) if you want to farm that guy.

I think teh Fishy is great at Meph as long as you have some method of teleport and you use particular tactics and methods:

- kill Pindle first. Potentially good drops and he's easy on p1-3. Raise army and then TP out and take WP to durance2.

- I use Naj's Puzzler on switch and tele all the way left and then up (about 6-7 teles) and cross the moat and then Meph will engage.

- decrep Meph as he comes toward you. When army engages I tele and minion stack on top of Meph and then I back out on other side about 5 yards or so out of reach of his poison and attacks. Clay Golem and decrep makes for a slowwww Meph as everyone knows.

- have loads of crushing blow on merc (hone and guillame's for 80%).

- you can speed up the killing by switching to amp right after Meph slows down. By that time your one point wonder Clay Golem is still toughin' it out and taking Meph's blows, your army is raining shots down on him and your merc is taking chunks out at the same time. On p1-3 it's pretty fast and extremely safe and the extreme amount of MF you can wear makes it a good deal.

- If you use Marrows your spear will do 1.4-1.5k or so and that helps a bit for sure.
 

ToastedTacoGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
i just started a fishymancer too! i had originally planned on doing a tesladin, but after seeing all the stuff that couldn't drop off of hell meph, who is currently being farmed by my meteorb, i decided that the need for an area runner was more important to my overall success, especially since a lot of the builds i want to make require items that meph can't drop. well anyway my fishy is currently lvl 26 in act 2 arcane sanctuary. i been doing /players 8 and i think i am gonna try to do that the whole way through. so far i haven't died yet and everything has been easy as pie, hope it continues that way, and also at the pace it is going because im leveling fast and i want to get this guy finished so he can start doing runs asap.
 

Ashmer Amadeus

Diabloii.Net Member
I kept one charicter, though I stripped him of all items. He is my only SP Patriarch. A fishymancer, General_Istvan. I know what I'm doing as far as the build goes (Thanks to nightfish, and more props for having an avatar from the second best FF game of the series). My biggest issue is where do I MF with this guy once I make him? Someone said the Meph is a bad idea, and I'm inclined to agree, the runs would take far to long. Someone suggested against Pits so that leaves Baal? I can do that but is it worth it in Nightmare? It will be several weeks before I get him to Hell. Thanks all.
 

slappy sam

Diabloii.Net Member
Hell Meph> NM Baal IMO.
Lightning trap assassins are really fun too- mines tearing through act 5 NM untwinked (1.1k life :D)
 

Ashmer Amadeus

Diabloii.Net Member
bill_n_opus said:
I think teh Fishy is great at Meph as long as you have some method of teleport and you use particular tactics and methods:

- kill Pindle first. Potentially good drops and he's easy on p1-3. Raise army and then TP out and take WP to durance2.

- I use Naj's Puzzler on switch and tele all the way left and then up (about 6-7 teles) and cross the moat and then Meph will engage.

- decrep Meph as he comes toward you. When army engages I tele and minion stack on top of Meph and then I back out on other side about 5 yards or so out of reach of his poison and attacks. Clay Golem and decrep makes for a slowwww Meph as everyone knows.

- have loads of crushing blow on merc (hone and guillame's for 80%).

- you can speed up the killing by switching to amp right after Meph slows down. By that time your one point wonder Clay Golem is still toughin' it out and taking Meph's blows, your army is raining shots down on him and your merc is taking chunks out at the same time. On p1-3 it's pretty fast and extremely safe and the extreme amount of MF you can wear makes it a good deal.

- If you use Marrows your spear will do 1.4-1.5k or so and that helps a bit for sure.
Naj's Puzzler is out for two reasons, one is the crazy high level you need to use it, and I don't have any items left. Checking my old Fishy, he has 12 points in Clay Golem. He lasted a while, and slowed pretty good. Golem and Decrep makes most monsters pretty much stand still. I might start him tonight, or maybe tomorrow evening. I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for advice later.
 

Ashmer Amadeus

Diabloii.Net Member
slappy sam said:
Hell Meph> NM Baal IMO.
Lightning trap assassins are really fun too- mines tearing through act 5 NM untwinked (1.1k life :D)

I realize that Meph is superior to Baal, however, if its going to take me five or six minutes to run Meph, I might as well run Baal. NM Baal should be able to drop a few EUs, which should help with future charicters. Maybe even get my first every SP Ugly Green Hat.
 
Top