Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting Classic?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by CdMagicFind, Oct 6, 2006.

1. CdMagicFind

CdMagicFind IncGamers Member

Starting Classic?

Want to be able to do the whole rushing to Act 3 Hell to convert to Expac. Looking for friends to help with whatever, advice, etc. :grin: Right now just have a around level 20 Blizzard Sorc with 10 to Ice Blast to help level (x.x) and rest into Glacial Spike until I get Blizzard. 1 point into Warmth/Teleport/Frozen Armor so far.

Was wondering what I should do. Should I level the Blizzard Sorc or what? I hear they can only do up to Act 2 Hell and then you have to switch chars to kill Act 2. Which is fine I guess.. What should I use for Act 2 Hell? I have:

Random Life/FR/LR/FHR Scale Mail
    Frosties
    Sigon's Shield
    Steeldriver

and that's pretty much it for what I have on Classic. >_> I hear Hammies are good for Act 2 Hell, maybe a mace WW Barb if Steeldriver is enough for that. Any help is appreciated.:thumbsup:

(USWest) *CdClassic, *CdServant

Edit: Oh, the sorc does Maggot Lair in Act 2 as well.

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I advise you to just stick with classic. :)

Other then that, a Orber is probably more suited to rushing, since you have more skillpoints left over after getting the skill to a acceptable damage level.
    So then you can max teleport, allowing you to continually teleport without the use of potions and making the sorc with base energy. Or you can get a descent range Static and some other lightning skill to be able to 'do' those areas in Hell that you wouldn't be able to do with a pure cold sorc.

As for that dreaded, but chalenging, act 2 Hell. To get there I would use my orber, Maggot Lair, still the orber, but viper, I would either get a WW barb, or a hammerdin like you suggest. I find it very annoying to do with my orber, since there seems to allways be a sale on Manaburning vipers when I need to go there. If you are lucky there are no vipers on the altar in viper temple level 2, in that case, just put the tp on the altar and few things will bother you, other then the magic bolts of those pesky Unravelers. If they are on the altar, you will just have to kill them all. On a sidenote, they don't do too well against lightning and if you have a descent amount of cold resist, their attacks don't hurt as much.
    Acrane, just tele trough there at 80fcr at least. Summoner shouldn't be a problem if you have a nice bit of resists.
    Canyon and tomb, just tele, hope you don't run into a cold immune Unique Apparition. Although if you have max tele and +3 skills from your gear, you can keep on teleporting after a drain and actually gain mana while teleporting.

So I'd pretty much stick with the plan you already had and mebbe use a barb with that steel if I didn't have a hammerdin to do viper. And I wouldn't convert chars to LoD either. But that's just me. :)

3. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I try to always use my blizzer to rush, that being said, I can do a slightly slower rush with the baba, by simply WWing through the phys immunes and moving past them, w/out teleport, I'm just a little slower this way :p

ACT 2 blows. I try to not even kill anything in Act 2, aside from the summoner and duriel when rushing.

with creative teleporting/portal placement, and the people being rushed PAYING ATTENTION you can set a portal right on the chest in the boss maggot lair, and/or the serpent's alter. obviously, as I said, this requires people to pay attention, and hit that portal quickly, and get back out. similarily for the arcane summoner, as there are invariabley cold immunes + mana burners hanging around him.

duriel can be a problem, if the end room has coldies in it, cause there too, one will find mana burners usually, this room too usually has that lag spike after the new char sticks the staff in the dohicky, which can result in the death of the new chars if there's any bad guys lurking around.

after all that 'hot air' I just typed. is it honestly easier to rush people/convert from classic to LOD? I've never loaded, or played LOD, nor have I had the interest in doing so.

with all I hear of that armor that allows teleport and such, it just seems like it would be easier to have a teleporting hammerdin or something similar do the rushing? or are there level based end mode quests or something that makes this less practical?

4. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Yes, the main barrier to rushing characters in LoD to Hell for the forge drops are pretty much the Ancients- the characters need to be level 20 to get the Ancients quest in normal, and need to be level 40 to get it in NM. Without the Ancients quest, a character can't take a TP into the Worldstone Keep, so it is hassle (but still possible) to get a sub-20 or sub-40 level character to the next level of difficulty.

It is possible to get a level 1 character to Hell in LoD but it usually involves joining a game where another character gets the Baal completion quest genuinely. I think that the Classic rush + convert people are interested in doing it wholesale, with a bunch of level 1 characters at the same time so apparently it's faster to do it that way than to do it in LoD.

I play Classic for it's own sake, but I can understand that the forge drops are valuable and that people want to take advantage of geting those relatively easily under the current system. I would actually prefer it if Blizzard didn't allow Classic ladder characters to convert to Expansion ladder characters, as that would get the Hellforge rushers out of our hair, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

For a single character, it's no big deal to get to level 20/40 actually playing. An enchanted character using Khalim's Will gets to level 20 in full games super-quick, and then in normal cows the levels go very quickly. But doing that for 7 characters at a time is hard.

5. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

It's worth mentioning that a trio of Durimule characters (one for each difficulty) can make visiting the Maggot Lair no longer needed and speed up Act 2 for most rushing. I think it's definitely worth the trouble, and have a little Durimule miniguide about it and just thought of some possible additions to it, so I'll work on it a bit more.

6. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

a) nice guide
    b) when I have my laptop, I can self rush from lvl 1 new char to hell act 4 in less than an hour.. even quicker if someone from a /f list helps out (maggot lair is often less troubling for me, than the hard hitting vipers, especially if I've been mana burnt at roughly the same time.
    c) in hell mode, act 2, it's actually usually quicker for me to do it "the normal method" via teleporting like a fiend, than it is to use such a mule, and kill all the monsters from the wp's to the summoner/duriel's portal. combination of physical immunes, elemental immunes, and potentially tight spaces make it less than fun (at least for me) I prefer to just skip as many of the bad guys as possible for this mostly non-rewarding act, but again, that's my personal preference.

7. CdMagicFind

CdMagicFind IncGamers Member

Yeah I guess I might make a barb after. Hm, I guess I'll use the Blizzard sorc for a while at least. What do you suggest for Warmth vs. Teleport levels? I think I'll make an Orb sorc next by using the Blizzard one to rush her. Isn't Fireball better in classic? I'd probably go max Orb, Fireball, Meteor and then a combination of Warmth/Teleport.

Are mace or spear barbs actually better? I guess I'll make a barb..

Using two computers to rush myself by the way. Durimuling would be a bit faster so I guess I'll do that.

I'm just gonna keep the drops on classic. The rushed level 1 characters are going to LoD I think. Can you still do Chaos for mass leveling in classic or not?

Edit: Is there any classic trade topic/forum/channel or anything?

8. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

first, you are in the classic trade/forum/channel. that's essentially the point of this entire sub forum.

I haven't ever run into a 'spear' barb on classic, in over 2 years of playing. For MFing/rushing I did quite well for the longest time just using a WW Barb with a near perfect bsnap, and wearing angellics (including armor) and a pair of dual leach gloves.

yes, CS runs give massive experience, depending upon level. generally, hell cs runs start giving really good levelling opportunities starting in the mid 30's or so, provided you can keep up with the people doing the killing, and/or not die yourself. another good space, for a WW baba to lvl, in fact arguabley better than cs runs, is flayer jungle in a full hell game.

re: sorcs. I have never put more than one into teleport. I prefer to max single element attack modes, and/or their synergies. Warmth is only used (on my builds) for fire synergetic sorcs, and even then, I've never made a high level fballer/meteor/hydra sorc - couple of chanters however, but they're not really suitable for rushing per se'.

9. WarlockCC

To elaborate on Goomba's point about the need to stay alive in CS, you would need to control such a char. You can't just dump 7 chars in the center and hope they live, cause they have to be near the xp and Dia will most likely kill them with his first fire nova (?). You could get a pala with Salvation, but then they still would not have enough life to last long against big D.

10. Akukami

Akukami IncGamers Member

Yes you have, but you haven't seen him around lately because I've been MFing with my Sorc. :rolleyes:

- Akukami

PS - Lance = a Spear :grin:

11. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

*finger* while the masteries may be the same, I was referring to one using an actual spear/war spear, or a spear chucker barb... first time I've heard someone refer to a lancer as a spear barb.

*grinning-shrug*

12. stevenluckymann

stevenluckymann IncGamers Member

well goomba im sorry to have to burst ur little ego filled bubble but i also thought u were referring to the lance barb. no need to flip someone off cause they misinterpreted ur words.

13. WarlockCC

They're mates and Akakumi can hold his own. 'tis all meant in jest and good fun.

I do have a java-chucking barb as Goomba describes. I don't get out of Euro-realm(SCNL) much though. :)

14. Akukami

Akukami IncGamers Member

Take it easy, man. He's a good friend of mine, and I was simply poking fun at him. Also, I've never known him to brag about anything, and if you notice, his *shrugs* at the end of his post are meant as a humble gesture, not as a sarcastic or challenging remark. :grin:

- Akukami

15. stevenluckymann

stevenluckymann IncGamers Member

lol i didnt know that. thx for mentioning it in the posts. sry guys if i caused some chaos.

16. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

no worries. I don't take taunts/insults in real life very seriously, so I don't usually get my dander up at all online. :)