Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starting an Assassin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RedRockRun, Sep 30, 2017.

1. RedRockRun

RedRockRun Diabloii.Net Member

Even when D2X first came out I didn't spend much time at all playing Assassin. I tended to like Druid better, so this is more or less my first real time with the class.

That being said, I've looked over the skill trees and like stuff from all of them. I'd like to focus on martial arts since it's so different than anything else in the game. I've been reading a bit of introductory information on the class and quickly ran into the term, "Transferring," that I've also seen used in reference to Smite Paladins. What exactly does it mean when mods transfer? That having DS for example on your main hand will transfer that mod to a kick or Traps blade skill? I'm pretty sure that's the case, but I feel the need to ask just to be sure.

Assuming I'm right: I'm looking at this transfer list, and I can't imagine anyone committing all this to memory. Some of these transfer stipulations seem arbitrary. What I'm getting right now is that Blade Fury and kicks will be my core moves since they cover the important mods.

Offhand: Any real point to an offhand claw besides a resistance dump slot? Especially when I can have a shield with transferable mods?

I don't want to make this too long so I'll conclude with one last question: There's a of hybrid capabilities, so is there not a problem with point allocation spread out so thinly?

2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Dual Claws is great because Weapon Block is skills based, not Dexterity based, so you can get around 50% @lvl 10. Weapon Block also blocks a whole bunch more stuff, but this guide by @maxicek has a wealth of information for the first time Assassin. I've quoted only a snippet here, but the guide is very detailed.

3. PandadudeSP

PandadudeSP Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say you have a few common options with an assassin, which I will rank in order of how good gear they require, from least to most:

Pure trapsin with lightning sentry, death sentry, and fire blast
    Hybrid with dragon talon, lightning sentry, death sentry
    Dragon tail with tiger strike
    Phoenix strike with synergies
    Dragon claw with claw mastery, venom, and death sentry
    Whirlwind (chaos runeword) with claw mastery, venom, shadow master, and death sentry.

Fade is preferred over burst of speed with poor gear, as is a shield over dual claw. Kicks do damage based on boots rather than weapon, so the weapon is less important. 1 pt in cloak of shadows and mind blast will be a big help if you learn to use them.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Is this HC/SC?
    Twinked / Untwinked? If twinked, what gear do you have?

What transfers to blade skills and kicks is covered at length in the Assassin FAQ.

If you want Martial Arts, I would look at a Phoenix Striker. The guide is linked in the Assassin build guides.

5. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I second the weapon block dual claw idea, and Fade is a powerhouse. Some kind of kicksin with death sentry and 1 point in cloak of shadows and mind blast sounds really strong and you can shop the items. I don't have any experience with the martial art skills that throw sorcerer spells so I won't comment there.

6. RedRockRun

I'm interested in a Cobra Strike build with AoE capabilities. One thing I've been learning is how I need to up my leech game by the time I get to Hell.

7. maxicek

I have 21 Assassin Matriarchs. None have ever used Cobra Strike. I don’t know of anyone else who has used it either.

Standard leech gear like String of Ears and a ring will be fine.

8. RedRockRun

What's a Matriarch?

What do you suggest for Martial Arts then?

9. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

A Matriarch is a Soft Core female character who has defeated Hell Baal.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

AoE Martial Arts are the three elemental (claw-only) charge-ups, Phoenix Strike and Dragon Tail (the latter often combined with Tiger Strike).

I don't use Cobra Strike either, at least not in the late game. There is no time for it. The little time you have is fully needed to perform crowd control actions and to actually dish out some hefty damage.

Since it's a prereq for Phoenix Strike, I've used Cobra Strike with Phoenix Strikers in late Normal (as a convenience to conserve potions) and I think a bit into Nightmare in an All Alone tournament (town interaction wasn't allowed).

11. RedRockRun

Is it redundant to use Dragon Tail along with Phoenix Strike? Also is there any reason to put any more than one point in FoF, CoT, and BoI if not going for a Phoenix Strike build or even use those skills at all?

Also I still can't decide if I want to go for a Phoenix Striker or Kicksin. Is one build more conducive to Fade (or is BoS always the preferable aura)?

12. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Dragon Tail converts all physical damage to fire, so it's typically being used together with Tiger Strike. It will be very hard to balance out together with PS.

BoS usually is better, but it depends if you can get you resists elsewhere. If not, it might be better to go with Fade than to make too many gear sacrifices.

The elemental MA skills are of no use if you don't go for them or for PS. Exception might be the cold one for some crowd control.

13. RedRockRun

Ah, I see; it's only the physical damage. Makes sense.

I see what Panda meant with Fade being better for poor gear now. It seems like something to use untwinked going into NM and Hell. I'm unsure if I have the gear for it - would have to shuffle things around on my barb. I still might go for Fade in NM until I can get better gear; it's a pain filling up most of my inventory with charms.

Regarding PS, is this a good resource to refer back to, or are there better references on this site?

Also, is it advisable to use PS on bosses, or do people go for TS with DF or DC? Also what is the general preference with PS? DC if using dual claws or DF if shield? And is DT worth maxing and using with PS?

Right now I'm definitely wanting to go dual claw, so is PS+DC the smartest choice, using Death Sentry for AoE? I'd like to try out DT, but after sinking so many points into Claw Mastery and Weapon Block it would feel like a waste - especially losing out on CM crits.

*edit*
    I'm trying to access the links from the builds page, but they keep redirecting me to the board directory. This a browser problem, or are the links broken? I can access Max's claw guide just fine.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  14. maxicek

ioupainmax likes this.
  15. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

When I go weapon/shield, I use normal Attack to release PS charges. Attack has exactly the same execution speed as PS, which is crucial for me to get into a good rhythm for continous release of 1st or 2nd charges.

I have both on left mouse button, so if I want to spam Meteors (~1 per 2 seconds), I just hold down LMB on monster and swap skills between PS and Attack.

16. RedRockRun

Heh thanks. I've found I can access those pages fine just by googling them instead of clicking through that one page. That maxicek is one hoopy frood by the way.

I've gathered that the third charge isn't all that useful for more than CC. Do you ever have problems knowing how many charges you've obtained? It does seem like it would be easier C/S; I've noticed that with C/C I'll gain two quick charges from having two katars equipped. Other times I'll misjudge charges because somewhere in the mix I'll have missed an attack. It makes me want to stack AR and also FCR. Besides all of that, I'm still struggling with how to map my keys. I've read max's guide and like the LMB strategy - mostly so that I can keep CoS bound to RMB to keep it refreshed. Although right now, so early in the game and no FCR I'm having to disengage from combat to re-apply buffs.

One more thing: I've noticed that I've been killing mobs with DC but not releasing charges. Is it that my MH is missing the attack, and my OH is connecting? I thought that if the first DC attack missed the second one would re-roll to release charges.