Starter MF Sorc Progression?

JudgeHolden

Diabloii.Net Member
What would be a good way to do an untwinked sc sorc to start MFing... restarting from scratch?

Eventually I know its good to be a bliz sorc doing hell meph and then hell ancient tunnels, and running through normal as a fireball sorc is easy... but what would be the easiest untwinked sorc build to a) do some NM meph runs, and b) beat hell (or at the very least get up to the point of the resistance scroll in act 5 hell), before respecing to a bliz sorc for MFing?

I read about meteorbs and "blizzballers"... which I guess is blizzard + fireball? Which of those, or another build, would be easiest given that the character is untwinked? Also, for whichever build you recommend, how would you recommend allocating skill points as I level, and how much hard points should I put in dex and str, assuming I'll be using a shield once I find good enough gear to beat a leaf staff?

My uneducated path so far was once I got to act 2 NM and encountered all those annoying fire immune fire throwing skeleton mage dudes, I respeced and put 20 points in frozen orb, 1 in cold mastery, 20 in meteor, 1 in fire mastery, and currently pumping fireball (1 in warmth, telekenesis, static, teleport). I can use my NM respec to change that though if need be, and then use my hell respec later once I'm ready to shift to a bliz sorc meph/AT runner.

Side questiion for the future: how would i know that I'm at the point of diminishing returns with meph runs and its time to switch to AT, and in turn when I'm at diminishing returns with AT and my time would be best spent rune hunting in LK?

Just trying to build a gear base is the goal here.

Thanks!

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
If the Grail is your end goal, you'll do well to rush a Blizz sorc to AT and simply stay there forever. That one dungeon and that one character will eventually give you every unique, set, and runeword if you're patient enough.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
I would just go blizz all the way, but that is my 1.10 mindset - no respecs!

When I ran Meph I probably did it for too long. If I did it again I would probably just look for enough gear to equip the sorc and merc properly before moving to Ancient Tunnels.
Harlequin Crest
Skullders
War Trav
Chance Guards
Goldwrap
Andariel's Visage / Treachery / Insight / whatever for the merc.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
If you stick to the ancient tunnels, blizz is pretty much the only way to go. You can build a pretty strong character from modest runewords and gear obtained from Hell Mephisto, and then the top end stuff will fall over time.

JudgeHolden

Diabloii.Net Member
So there wouldn't be a point at which it makes more sense to run LK for runes? I don't want a grail, I just want to build a base of gear that will allow me to play lots of builds.

Also, would bliz+fireball or meteor+froz orb be better for questing until I am ready to switch to bliz for meph/AT?

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
You can also run the travincal for a fair amount of gear and runes, but you need to be pretty strong to do that quickly and safely on P7 or P5. I'd say you're probably looking for Call to Arms, Grief, Infinity, and Enigma, all of which can be farmed from a good LK map over time, though your looking at probably 7k plus runs to get all the runes for all of those weapons unless you are really lucky.

Usually boredom is what usually stops people, so you could probably set a certain amount of runs to target Mephisto (2k), then do some LK (2k). Then try to step up and do council (2). Then AT or Pindle (2k). Over that time you'll acummulate runes and items while still keeping things fresh enough.

LK is nice because you can also net quite a bit of gems, jewels, charms, and even rare boots and rings to go along with the runes. Pindle is great for leveling up to about 94~95 on P8 and can drop most items which should be fine if you aren't concerned with a grail.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
If you skip cold immunes, I think Blizz will be quicker. Getting the Viper Amulet can be tough though.

If you want to kill everything go meteorb, although I find orb is too low damage in hell with underpowered gear.

What you run depends on what you want to achieve. Grail / lvl99 / PvP / quest nice builds etc.