Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Starter char advice

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Toreaver, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Toreaver

Toreaver IncGamers Member

Starter char advice

OK so i am just starting HC after being away from the game for about 2 years. never played hc before but i am now because it seems more exciting. I played sc for 4 years before i quit. Anyway, i got a summon necro to 70 before having it blown up by an FE council member. Following that, i rolled a few chars that kept nearly dying so i quit while i was ahead, and some that could survive but could not kill a thing without taking all day.

I've read the stickies and all that, but im sort of curious how some of the established HC players started out, since I seem to be having difficulty. Any starter build advice would be much appreciated.

2. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Starter char advice

If you're going to play untwinked, assassins are one of the safest you can make (trapper or striker).

If you plan on gearing your characters out beforehand, I'd go with a blizzard or fireball sorc (1pt in enchant).

3. Toreaver

are WC barbs viable in HC?

4. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

They're safe builds (semi-reliant on insight) but they're not huge killers.

Most HC players use WC more as a support skill, making them slightly more than BO barbs on Baal runs and allowing them to solo with a bit better crowd control.

5. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

Leveling one will be painstaking and hard work, if you don't have anyone to rush you and baal you. I know because I have just built one - I chose all the helpful party cries first, and he isn't able to kill anything :grin:. Must rely on friends for his final leveling :kiss:.

6. crscrsAOK

crscrsAOK IncGamers Member

i followed the meteorb sorc guide in the sorc forums and it worked out great for me.

no problems leveling and progressing, 24-30 was a little slow but once you get frozen orb you essentially blow everything up in your way. its essentially non gear dependant for normal and nightmare.

i followed it well and at level 37 with 8 cold mastery and 8 frozen orb 1 cast blows up most things.

7. Toreaver

tried 2 sorcs, they get one shot by anything extra strong and i cant seem to get one out of a2.

8. crscrsAOK

crscrsAOK IncGamers Member

ya this sorc is my third sorc playing through normal (beat baal on one)

its doable.. i used a defend merc from a2 for named mobs. running around and using teleport to move the merc worked well for m

9. dyolf

dyolf IncGamers Member

sounds like you didnt invest enough vit early on, also you have to adapt the guides to hc, which means invest in resi and life and sacrifice killing speed and mf. also, i would recommend reading the hc guide and the deeds thread if you havent done so.

if you want to a char that can mf and survive with poor equipment, have a look at the hc orb/tk sorc. very tough if your can keep your mana full, e.g. with an insight merc.