Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Started an Impalazon...wheeeeee

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Sunjeet, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Started an Impalazon...wheeeeee

Well, so far she is level 21, and has 500% ed with Impale. Its a bit difficult since I don't have my Valk yet, but so far I haven't had much of a problem. I've been using a Sigon's set (minus shield) and its gotten me by. Life/mana leech is easy as each successful Impale hit completely refills both orbs. However, I'm findind that when I get swarmed, I tend to get hit and locked in a recoil animation. I'm wondering if there is any way to speed this up? Is that was FHR is for? I figure eventually I'll need some insane def and maybe a HF act 2 merc. I know that many will say Impale sucks, but I'm tired of cookies. I WANT BROWNIES!!!

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Brownies it is then:) I'm still kind of down because I couldn't talk you out of this crazy build, but you seem to have fun..

To speed up your "recoil animation" you're indeed going to need more FHR, but you need to remember that you're attacking so slowly that monsters have ample opportunity to hit you and disrupt your attack...so getting swarmed is NOT an option later in the game.

You need to play very defensively (which is ironic since Impale does insane 500% damage!!!!), setup a decoy and hide behind your merc+valkyrie. This is definitely not a character that can júst wade into the fray and kick ass.

What about the destrucitve aspect of Impale...is that giving you any problems? And what weapon are you planning on using later?

Good luck.

3. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

How many Ort runes do you have?

- Noodle

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The obvious solution is not to get swarmed. If you're put into hit recovery you'll be interrupted before you can finish your attack, and there's a looong time before you strike.

Of course it's easy enough to say that. In enclosed spaces (Act 2 Tombs, indeed any dungeon area or similar) just use the doorways to block the hordes of enemies - retreating to a previous door as needed.

In open areas, use the protruding walls (Act 1), rock formations/buildings (Act 2), bridges (Act 3) and so on to break up monster packs and finish them off one at a time.

Once you have Decoy and Valk things should go more easily.

Since you have no shield and are horribly vulnerable, high defence will help, as will having tons of life (you must lose 1/12th max HP in a single hit, or be hit with a Stun/Knockback type attack, to go into HR).

And don't use Impale around Oblivion Knights!

Good luck. Nice to see that Spearzons aren't extinct yet! :clap:

5. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Well, I repair more often, but not too often. I alternate use at low levels with Jab and Impale. Because I only have my merc as back up, I get surrounded easily. I also thought about carrying some runes that repair items. Maybe if I find a decent Javelin, I could use that instead. Though it'll still lose Quantity instead of Durability, it'll be a lot higher than most of Spears. Eventually I hope to find a good Indestructable unique item. Hopefully I can find a good Superior spear-type weapon that has increased durability. The weapon I currently use is a Rare Brandistock that has the "Repair 1 durability every 20 seconds."

6. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Steelpillar seems like a good weapon possibility, as it's the only Indestructible Spear/Javenlin (iirc).

7. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

A Javelin with regenerate quantity could work instead of an indestructible item... I mean, impale is so slow that it would almost have to regenerate a javelin in between each attack. :uhhuh:

8. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Does impale work with amazon spears and javelins ? let's say.. titans? that'd be cool.

9. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Yes, you can use Spears or Javalins on any of the physical attacks (Fend, Impale, Jab). However, you'd then need a spear for the elemental attacks to be a real Spearazon, otherwise you're just a Javazon that uses Impale. Might be a fun possibility, but it just looks odd...

10. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Adding to this, get into the habit of not kicking barrels, opening coffins etc until the area is clear. These often form funnels to channel the monster through.

Spears are encouraged also not for style(which matters :thumbsup: ) but because a ranged 5 weapon would let you hide behind your valk/merc/decoy far more easily.

Never use impale around Oblivion knights, They'll wait until you start impaling, Then cast iron maiden :lol: Baal is also a pain with decry.

Good luck!

11. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Use a Hone Sundan?

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Well, the one you are stabbing won´t cast anything but Decrepify at that distance. You need to lure out the other monsters from the OB Knights´ awareness range first (so the OB knights won´t run to them when they get scared). If an OB Knight can´t see any other monsters (except OB Knights), you can run around it and herd it towards where you are coming from. Just walk up to it "from behind". It will get scared and move to where you want it. Now just herd it into a corner or straight into a wall and kill it.

13. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

:lol: Imagine if impale was uninterruptable.. Then you walk in on a cold oblivion knight, he decreps you and then throws that cold thingy on you (you not wearing CBF) and you attack him. :D I think nothing in the game can move you for about 1 minute..
    Seriously though, I heard impale was too slow to use... that 500ED looks great, but if you have 1000 damage once per sec, I'd take 300 dmg 3x per sec.

14. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Impale isn't exactly a slow attack. Rather, it has a sort of "casting delay" that will never change. If you use a very fast weapon and very slow weapon, you will see the difference. The speed of the animation will be the same for the first half and change based on your total IAS. Basically, as the amazon raises the spear and pulls back, that speed will always be slow (think of it as the bracing charge. And then the thrust part of the animation is the part that the attack is based on.

The big difference between this skill and most other skills with a delay is that those other skills tend to do damage to multiple targets (ie. Frozen Orb or Meteor or Immolation). However, this is offset by the fact that you do some insane damage. With so much physical damage, you'll need elemental damage to get through NM and Hell though. Also, there is that nasty durability reduction. With a maxed Impale, its at 25%, which essentially means that for every four hits you will lose 1 durability, which in turn means if you take your max durability and multiply it by 4, that will be your total amount of hits before you need to repair (on average, of course). +skills doesn't help this much though, because even at skill level 40, the durability decrease is only 22%. However, a decoy, valk, and melee merc, that spear of yours can reach right through them and you'll not have to worry about getting hit much. Make sure that valk is of decent level (at least to lvl 17 w/ +skills). I consider slvl 10 to be good as I figure I'll be able to get at least +7 skills somewhere (Lycander's Flank gives +4, a good rare helm could get +2, a decent amulet could give +2, and maybe some rings for extra). Of course, you'll need to make sure to have a merc that is the same level as you and has decent gear to survive (I'm still undecided between der and HF for my Act 2 merc...imagine a whole band of spear-users).