Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

start in act 5

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Draxer, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Draxer

Draxer IncGamers Member

start in act 5

Ok i cant remember how you do the act 5 thing can anyone tell me how?I want to try some builds out and see if i like them.

2. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

there are two ways to do it:

1.) if you have a shortcut to diabloII, right click, properties, and in the target box, add -act5 outside the qoutation marks, note it should look like this: Target: "C:\blahblahblah\diabloII\Diablo II.Exe" -act5

-alternatively-

2.) open notepad, type this in the first line:

cd C:\default directory(ies) for diabloII\Diablo II\

Type this in the second line of text:

start game.exe -act5

make sure after the second line of text you add another blank line, otherwise the program you have just written will not open the game.

Save this program as Act5.bat and you can click on it any time you want to start a new character from act5.

3. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

There is a 3rd way to do it, but you have to open command prompt and you basically type the EXACT same stuff as alternative 2, since a .bat file basically opens up command prompt and types the stuff you typed in as a batch.

4. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I have a silly question. Why don't you just start a new character and play it from the beginning? Does it really save THAT much time to start in Act Five? You'd certainly get a sense of accomplishment from creating a new character and playing it that you can't get by starting at leve thirty-whatever it starts you at.

You could also ask around to get informed opinions on the viability, playability, and fun factor of whatever build you are considering. That way, we can all share in your success.

EDIT:

This is a quote from the "FAQ on Gameplay Affecting Techniques," written by Cauthon and implemented as Single Player Forum policy by AlterEgo.

"-act5 allows for the creation of a level 33 character at the beginning of act 5, with all skill and stat points unspent. Since this involves no effort on the part of the player, it is not considered an acceptable command to use."

5. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

To elaborate a little on what Kremtok said, as around about build viability. Chances are that someone has tried that build, or at least is familiar enough with the skills to point you in the right direction.

6. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

But on the other hand this is your own computer, and as long as you use the act5 command for testing purposes only and do not let these characters or items found by them interact with this forum (e.g. by trading or MPing) I don't see ay point where your use of the act5 command violates forum policy.

So go ahead, buddy!

7. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Wasn't this the same thing that was said about the 1.1 item pack for the 'beta' testing?

Has not a recent member received a two week ban for trading a 1.1 item pack item for anothers well earned item?

The fact is that whatever you want to call it, this is a manipulation of the game, and should not be condoned by the SPF.

If you start to say, 'this one is ok' or 'this isn't as much of a hack as this one' then sadly, you cannot accept one without the other.

I remember this Forum being a place, despite its reputation, was a place where no hack large or small was tolerated.

Sadly in this thread I already see the B.net mentality sinking in.

8. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Milamber, that ban would be because someone using cheats on their own computer DID allow it to spill over into SP trading and the like, which is specifically what Huorn said was NOT acceptable.

9. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

I once had a friend over at my place, we were a bit bored.. He doesn't play Diablo much but he knows how it works, so I propose "Let's play some Diablo multiplayer". He has no character but would love to play, however we didn't feel like starting all over, doing all the silly quests and being busy for hours before we reached the "fun" skills. So we used -act5, I've had a great afternoon, he had a great afternoon.. No harm done, chars deleted, but a good command nonetheless..

But in this context I would say: Play a char from beginning to end, it's much more satisfying!

:wave:

10. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

i think that the point of him wanting to test the chars himself was to see whether or not he "liked them" which i think only because he said so himself.... other people spatting statistics and playability do not quite help with that matter, and i feel that people shouldn't be complaining about what he wants to do, as long as he doesnt use the characters to interact with others on the forums

(my 2cents)

11. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

Milamber, please take a few minutes to read the following quote from them official SPF FAQ on GAMs:

This is what I said. If you feel that in this case b.net mentality is slipping in, I'd kindly ask you to take the issue to AE. Ask him to change the aforementioned passage in the FAQ on GAM. Until he does that I do not see where my recommendation violates forum poilcy. as long as Draxer is up front about using the -act5 command and doesn't let "tainted" items find their way into the trade pool, he can do whatever he wants on his own computer.

12. IceDragon79

IceDragon79 IncGamers Member

just out of raw curiousity for a LAN i have coming up does the act5 thing include completion of quests?

13. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

No it doesn't. You start in Act V at lvl 33 with no skill and stat points assigned, no gold or items, no quests completed and the only WP you can use is The Rogue Encampment. As such it doesn't help much for ordinary questing, as you still have to complete every quest.

If you just want some MP action though it can be fun, as you can try some of the higher skills without spending the entire session lvling the chars.

14. IceDragon79

IceDragon79 IncGamers Member

excellent.. that is exactly what we have been wanting to do.. usually i bring in my level 85 paladin and just use the auras to boost the lower level characters but it gets boring for me...

15. Milamber

Milamber Banned

I misinterpreted the situation!!! :blush:

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

16. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

No problem, it happens to the best of us! :) Now lets head over to the EMB and have a :drink: !