Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stargate: Atlantis

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Stargate: Atlantis

Stargate: Atlantis starts here on Sunday night. Is it worth it or is it just a crappy spin-off? By crappy I mean Crusader crappy - takes a while to wind up and by the time it starts to get decent no-one watched it and it was cancelled.

I never got into Stargate, not because I wasn't interested but because they changed it's timeslot a few times and it almost always clashed with something else. I really liked what I did see of it though, enough to wish I had seen it all the way through instead of sporadically.

I am guessing (hope I'm wrong) that they will put this up against Battlestar Galactica in which case I won't be able to tape it. If they do do this is it worth the extra hour wait for my weekly dose of Battlestar?

2. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

Stargate Atlantis is not really a spinoff. Its a compliment series to Stargate SG-1.

Both series (was atleast) supposed to follow the same timeline and events would compliment each other in the whole general plot.

I think both series are amazing.

My friend is trying to get me into Battlestar Galactica. But I am too into the Stargate 'lore' at the moment for sci-fi.

3. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Why do you think they'd put it up against Battlestar? SG-1, Atlantis, and Bstar are played consecutively, at least on SciFi here in the states. To answer your question, its a good show, and since you dont watch SG-1, you wont be comparing it to the original series. Its worth a watch.

4. Sokar Rostau

Battlestar and Stargate are on different channels here.

I knew it was more along the lines of Angel than Crusade in terms of being a 'spinoff' but that doesn't always mean it will be any good. I'll definately give it a watch but if it comes down to Battlestar or SG:Atlantis I just don't think Stargate will do it (Number 6 is just too alluring...). Especially when one of the most attractive parts of Stargate for me was always the mythological aspect...and Battlestar handles it in a similar kind of way.

5. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Yeah, but does SG have her as a member of the cast?

6. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I'm not sure we get the same series of Stargate Atlantis over here. I watched a couple of episodes and thought it was pretty lame.

Saying that I also watched Battlestar and thought that was worse, where was all the 80's hair and cheapness of the original?

Next thing you know they'll be re-making Buck Rogers as a woman!

7. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Man I can't stand the Stargate series. I loved the movie, and the series feels almost like a parody. I can see why people like it, but for me it's just too corny and lame to watch seriously. I catch an episode now and then but each time it only reminds me of why I don't watch it much.

Battlestar doesn't look all that hot either, although I've never actually watched an entire episode. TNG is still the number one sci-fi series ever IMO.

8. Sokar Rostau

See now that's what I don't get. By TNG I am assuming you are referring to The Next Generation which was, as far as I'm concerned, the WORST of the Star Trek series'. Sorry, I know that's likely to get me flamed by a bunch of freaky Trek heads and their Vulcanised rubber ears (lol, couldn't pass up the opportunity for that pun), but it's just a lame show. Voyager and DS9 were really good, I am kind of partial to Enterprise (which has some of the best credits on television), and the original was really good for it's time but The Next Generation just plain sucked.

As far as Battlestar goes you have to realise it is not the same show and that there has been an effort for the last seven years or so to revive the original cast and pick up the crew and storyline of the original Galactica 30 years later (sans the ridiculous Galactica:1980 which must stand alongside the Star Wars Christmas Special as one of the worst efforts in the history of sci-fi). The original Battlestar was made in a different era and the remake reflects the differences that nearly 30 years make. Television audiences simply would not respond at all to a faithful remake that stayed true to the feelgood naivety of the original. Modern audiences do not tend to like a happy wrap-up to every stand alone episode, television simply isn't made that way anymore. Modern audiences are more mature and expect to be treated that way. Even the modern incarnations of Star Trek, while sticking more or less to the idea of a different planet each week, have a linear storyline where each episode advances the overall plot - it isn't true that our attention spans have become shorter.

The best television series' of the last decade have all had continuing, often intricate, plots with complex characterization and this is seen in the new Battlestar Galactica and, I would expect, Stargate: Atlantis (Stargate had a linear, intricate, plot too so it stands to reason). A part of this is realism - real life people are not two-dimensional and their lives are not simple, lived in black and white (no pun intended), and neither are the characters in modern dramas where we find, for example, police that are, to a greater or lesser extent, corrupt, morally or otherwise. The series that started this trend was Hillstreet Blues and it has continued through such shows as X-Files, Babylon 5, The Shield, The Sopranos, Homicide: Life on the Streets, ER, Alias, NYPD Blue and more recently Lost and Desperate Houswives (there are many more shows that could be listed, Buffy is another example as is the Australian cop show Wildside). As well as being well written these shows are all very well acted and often superbly produced (there is also the recent trend where the line between film and television is becoming very blurred). It is very unfair to compare Battlestar Galactica 2005 to Battlestar Galactica 1978, as it is also unfair to compare Star Trek to Star Trek Voyager or DS9 or Homicide: Life on the Streets to Homicide.

9. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

You know I was just joking about it not being the same as the original. Frankly, I'd have been worried if they had the same garbage can Cylons (i think thats what their called...) as the original.

I'm not joking about Buck Rogers though, best show ever made. Taught me everything I know about life, including how to dance (if any of you remember Buck dancing you'll know what I'm talking about). Actually in many ways Jack O'Neil is the modern day Buck Rogers, but without the superb style...

On a side note, do you watch alot of TV Sokar Rostau?

10. Sokar Rostau

You might have been joking, but a lot of people were pissed off with the remake. As I said, plans were afoot to pick up the series 30 years later complete with surviving cast members (it was spearheaded by the original Starbuck) and the fact that the new series doesn't have men in campy 70's outfits really irked a lot of hardcore fans (not to mention Starbuck is a girl). Those fans really need to move on.

Those original Cylons do actually put in an appearance in BSG 2005. In one of the early episodes, or perhaps in the mini-series, Adama is reading something and there is a diagram of the 70's model Cylon on the page.

I have vague recollections of reading somewhere that a remake of Buck Rogers is in the cards (might have been a movie, not a TV series), but that doesn't mean much. The BSG+30 series was first proposed in 1997 (and I believe they are still trying to get it going), and was the catalyst for BSG 2005, so if there is a Buck Rogers coming it could still be years away.

I work in television production so yes, I do watch a lot of TV. I don't watch all the shows I mentioned though, more documentaries really.

Anyway, Stargate: Atlantis just finished and I thought it was pretty good, one problem...they did exactly what I thought they would and have scheduled the series in direct opposition to Battlestar Galactica :(

11. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

I liked all of the Star Trek series, Voyager being my second favourite (seen almost every episode) and the others are all fairly equal third. I had hopes for Enterprise but I must admit they weren't very high. I thought the last few seasons of Voyager were fairly dull and despite its production values Enterprise just failed to compel. Like The Simpsons it seems all of the writing talent has moved on to other things, leaving stale writers churning out stale stories.

TNG for me was the height of Star Trek, third season onward especially when the show's popularity had grown to a level that attracted more and better people to the show. This is not to say that the other series didn't have their moments, but none really kept the pace going episode after episode like TNG did.

12. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

I've been trying to get a hold of the last season of Voyager.

Ever since it only played at midnight on a school day, I lost track of the show. But I was motivated to record the season/show finale, which I must say, was amazing!

I always find shows that play with time travel to be very hard to pull. However, in that episode, I think they did pretty well.

What did you guys think of Moebius (Stargate Sg-1)? I think they did ok with the time travel business but it wasnt really a great season finale IMO.

13. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Love Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. Loved the movie too. They are both good shows, having elements of action, humor, a reasonable plot, and overall kick***ness. No, there's not always action, but that's more realistic than blowing aliens away all the time. The season finale for Atlantis was awesome, and both shows coincide with each other, with the events of SG-1 affecting the events of Atlantis. Thumbs up for both of them.

14. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I actually liked enterprise. voyager was hot and cold for me.

in voyager, the borg make great bad guys, but they had some issues inventing new bad guys. The tissue stealer people were kinda iffy. and then there was some random race chasing them all over from the beginning that probably should have just left (they should have been too far away by a few episodes later).

enterprise was great, but only in the context of all the others. I don't think it was necessarily a good stand alone series. You had to watch all the other series to really get it. The prequel idea for star trek was pretty cool, but making it the way they did they had to expect it wouldn't have the same broad appeal. I thought it was very well done though. they pushed the envelope a bit on the relating to current events, and they shouldn't have had tepaul hooking up with the captain in alternate time lines and whatever, then decide later she liked trip...that was a bit odd.

I will strongly disagree with you about TNG. TNG was not a starship in a desperate situation. they weren't supposed to be "depraved". they were supposed to be the clever ship, the flagship...the best humans had to offer facing whatever came their way. you know...boldly going where noone had gone before and all that.

the really bad series was the DS9 series. I didn't like the religious thing being so strong throughout the entire series. Star trek, for the most part had avoided tackling the religious thing before. I didn't like how it was handled. though the changlings were a pretty cool twist. Half way though the series I gave up though.

Star gate is cool, but harder to get into because I never saw the episodes in order so i get confused some times.

15. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Voyager better than TNG !?

*Speechless*

16. Module88

I didn't see too much of the TNG series, but I loved Voyager. =/

17. Omikron8

I'll summarize voyager

"Oh look we are losing viewers again, lets put in another menacing episode about the borg with a crappy plot"

"Well look it's the end of season seven and we need a series finale, lets make it involve thr borg and time travel since we can't think of anything else that the fans cared about in this show"

18. Module88

Which is: AWESOME. -_-

19. Omikron8

No

it shows just how incompetent the writers were for star trek voyager in that they couldn't maintain any constant level of viewer interest.

Deep Space Nine on the other hand with it's extremly sequential plot (which i like even though it leaves newcomer viewers with a sense of a confusion) kept me interested for many seasons in a row, not just the season premieres and finales.

20. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Don't forget the whole "We're losing male viewers*! We've already added the Borg, what can we do now?"

"BORG WITH BOOBIES!"

*[not that there were many females to begin with, but whatever]