Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Star Wars Great New Marketing Campaign

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Star Wars Great New Marketing Campaign

OK, so I am not really in marketing (though I have worked on a number of TV commercials), but this makes absolutely no sense to me.

I am one of those people who's earliest memory of the cinema is Star Wars and who was pretty disappointed with The Phantom Menace. But I still went out and bought it on video when it came out. When Attack of the Clowns was released I thought it was better but I didn't rush out to get it on DVD when it was released, not because I didn't want it but because I figured I could "get it next month". Over the last few years, without having seen it (but having watched Phantom a few times) I began to think it was as bad as Episode I and got less interested in buying it.

That was until last week. Revenge of the Sith comes out May 19(?) so I thought I had better get Attack of the Clones to refresh my memory. I dutifully went to the shop and found they didn't have it. "No problem," I thought "lots of people will be doing the same thing as me" so I went to another shop. And another one. I ended up going to fifteen different stores in an effort to get a copy of Attack of the Clones with no luck. It was in about the tenth store that I began to notice something else, not only did no-one have Attack of the Clones but there were NO Star Wars films on video or DVD, individual or in Collectors Edition (which was only released in about December) anywhere.

I finally asked and was told they had been deleted.

DELETED!!

WTF sort of marketing is this crap??

I was told that a Star Wars Saga Special Collectors Edition would be released in December and I would have to wait until then to get a copy of Attack of the Clones.

When the LotR movies were coming out the DVD/Video was released in August, the Extended Edition was released in November and the new movie came out in December. That is logical because it allows people to refresh their memories. It causes a sales spike and gets rid of stock in the lead up to the next film. WTF are they thinking over at Twentieth Century Fox/Lucasfilm??

PS: I finally tracked down a perfect copy of Attack of the Clones in a pawn shop and found it to be so much better than I remembered. I didn't even mind some of the very wooden performances and dodgy special effects, in fact all that was forgiven during Reel 6.

2. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

One; you were only kinda dissappointed about the Phantom Menace? oi!

Seriously, where do you live? There's dozens of collectors editions of the original trilogy and Episode one and two on the shelves. Target, Best Buy, you name it.

3. Sokar Rostau

This wasn't meant to be another thread about the virtues of the prequels. In all honesty if you watch the originals with a critical eye they have some of the same flaws like dodgy, wooden, performances. My biggest argument with Phantom Menace, and to a lesser extent Attack of the Clones, was the occasional stupid, childish and derivative dialog especially associated with a certain Gungan (I didn't actually mind the character, just many of his lines) and a droid (OMG I am watching Ep II right now and just heard the Roadrunner in Coruscant when Anakin jumps out of the speeder...). But I'm over it - I was never a rabid fan anyway (just a devoted one that saw the originals hundreds of times) and have never read any EU books. Can't wait till May, though.

I live in Australia. There were plenty of Star Wars DVD's on the shelves two weeks ago, but now there's nothing. The DVD manager at the last department store I went to told me they had been deleted, but she didn't actually say the Collectors Edition of Classic Star Wars was, just Ep's I & II and the individual Classics. And this is what I don't understand. From a film marketing perspective DVD/Video sales, and rentals, of a prequel ALWAYS spike shortly before the release of a sequel. The same can often be said of books and music. I can understand deleting Ep's I & II after Ep III is released, in preperation of a Collector's Edition, but even this is unnecessary. As was proved by LotR, the fans will buy BOTH a cinema released version of a DVD and a Special Edition, especially with a fanbase as strong as Star Wars', based purely on extra features (commentaries etc).

4. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

From what I hear you did the right thing by getting your hands on AOTC. I have been reading the ROTS spoilers and going back and watching both prequil movies helped make more sense out of the spoilers.

5. Sokar Rostau

LMAO ROTS! That does not bode well...

The Phantom Menace appears in catalogues as Phantom Menace, The - PMT

6. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

Do not underestimate the power of Lucas marketing. The guy built an empire by selling toys related to his movies. If anyone can squeeze every last cent out of every last fan, it's George Lucas.

If it means anything to anybody, I like the prequils. They do have a lot of the same problems as the originals so I don't see why it was OK then and not OK now. Basically, we're trading Harrison Ford for much better action sequences. Not everyone thinks it's a fair trade, but I don't mind.

7. g00tch

g00tch IncGamers Member

Gah, I read an article about this yesterday but now I can't find it. Apparently they've pulled Episodes I and II and are rereleasing them closer to the release date of the new one in hopes that more people will buy them. They also wanted to focus more on the original trilogy collectors set. I'll post the article if I can find it.

8. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i suggest you pick a far better film franchise to follow. I have a few... suggestions. *motion towards avatar*

9. Sokar Rostau

Pfffft...The only good Bond is four chicks with violins.

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

They do both fall under fantasy, I suppose.

11. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

The only good star wars was... Dr. Holly Goodhead.

12. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Yeah...a film franchise where the so called alcolholic hero can't shoot his gun straight.

13. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

He picked the right one. *motions towards avatar*

Also in a Bond film too.

14. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Bond had its down times, as well. Remember Timothy Dalton? You Only Live Twice? And although it had its share of fine women, the series never had Natalie Portman in a ripped jumpsuit. That is all the marketing you need, my friend.

15. Sokar Rostau

It's not a bronze bikini, but that white "My nipples are here" jumpsuit has my vote, even when it's not ripped.