Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Star Wars: CCG

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stompwampa, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Star Wars: CCG

Anyone here play the Star Wars CCG card game by Decipher?

I played that game religiously for years. I think I have over 100,000 cards, including several full sets.
    I took 2nd place in our Regional Qualifier locally, and then took 10th out of a couple hundred at the Regional Tournament in Omaha a few years back.
    I miss that game.

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

My friends and I played Magic and were into Star Wars about 10 years ago. We decided to start playing the Star Wars ccg. We each spent a fair amount of money getting some cards. We played once.

3. Stompwampa

man, you missed out. That is the one thing I miss the most about my teenage years.

4. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I just cleaned out my room at my parents house and I found all my cards from years ago. My friend and I played a few times, but I never got too into it. I just liked collecting the cards.

5. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I played it a whole lot in middle school, went to a bunch of tournaments and such. It was good through jabba expansion. Once it got past that I quit, but my friend told me it went downhill because there were too many "necessary" cards that really enfringed on deckbuilding creativity.

6. Stompwampa

I disagree. . . I think there were a lot of neat things that happened after the Jabba's Palace expansion. However, the decks that got me to the regional tournament was based on pre-Jabba's Palace strategy. . .

7. Peregrine

Peregrine IncGamers Member

"Played" (aka collected, and played a couple games) for a while, before realizing that Magic was a far superior game. Star Wars just had way too little focus... there were too many un-interactive strategies, where you and your opponent could have completely unrelated goals, and barely even notice each other's existence. Add in the high number of cards that did nothing more than "counter X other never-played card", the annoying way that playing out a dominating army actually INCREASED your chances of losing (your deck as life points), etc, and it just wasn't a very good game.

8. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

I played for years and years, stopped around 2002 and had a brief flirt back with it over the summer because the Players Committee is still making the virtual cards.

Played in some DPCs, won some states, went to Worlds Day 2, ranked over 2000, all of that mess. I met some great people playing that game and had a bunch of great times in general.

And I could really nerd this thread up to argue with the above poster, but I'll just keep the criticism to this: I can't believe that you would hold up Magic as a tactically superior game. That's crazy. Magic is a more consistent game with better prizes, but the Decipher Star Wars game had the best basic mechanics of any CCG. There were periods of non-interaction (mostly between the Dagobah and Jabba's Palace expansions), but they were eliminated back in, what 1998 or so and the game matured so well as it went on.

9. Stompwampa

Well, I'll nerd it up then ;-)
    I think there were a lot of useless cards in the game, at least as far as main stream strategy goes. However, I can't think of any cards that I havn't seriously considered using in a theme deck. That's the beauty of SWCCG, theme decks are a lot of fun and they win. I built a Light Side deck based entirely on Jawas, and it was awesome.
    Hell, it was a Dagobah Drain deck that got me to the Regionals in Nebraska and then my Dark Side deck for that was an Imperial Hoth Invasion strategy.

Also, I met a lot of really cool people and had a crap-load of fun playing that game.
    I tried Magic too, and it just seemed so simplistic to me. The possibilities for SW were infinite.