Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stamina. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Sincubus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Sincubus

Sincubus Diabloii.Net Member

Stamina. Yes or no?

Do you want stamina to return in Diablo 3?

The only thing in diablo II I really hated was Stamina, I always wanted to cheat because it was so damn annoying and not really needed, it didn't made the game cool it only made it more annoying.

I really hope they cut the stamina part in diablo III!

What do you want/think?

2. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Stamina. Yes or no?

Stamina and running speed.
    After you got some speed boost, it was always a pain for me to make a new char and walk around with this slow running speed.
    And waiting a few seconds to let the stamina regenerate was also a pain. I hope this will get a look over. :)

3. Machina

Machina Diabloii.Net Member

I hope they ditch it because there really is no need for it.

When you're a low level it's a trivial annoynace, having to stand still for a few seconds waiting for it to recover before continuing your journey.

At higher levels it's completely pointless because you'll either have so much that it takes ages to drain down, or enough regen to negate the loss caused by running, or you'll be teleporting anyway. And even if it does drain down you just stand still for a few seconds for it to recover.

4. Kerosion

Kerosion Diabloii.Net Member

If stamina is included, I hope it is relevant in a way that does not detract from fun.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

no need for it at all, it was a pointless "feature" that added nothing to the game stratergy wise, all it did was slow you down at the start

6. yukisho

yukisho Diabloii.Net Member

I see what you guys are saying. But for me it's not a big deal. I will pickup stamina potions until I am high enough with good enough gear that I don't need them. And if you have to stop and wait those few seconds for it to regen, then I suggest going back to town and selling your trash or put items in your stash.

7. Machina

Oh I agree it's not a big deal. I just think that given how pointless it was in D2, unless they can find some way to make it a worthy feature in D3 I don't really think it should be in D3.

8. Garisdacar

Garisdacar Diabloii.Net Member

i could see stamina used as a sort of alternative to mana, for attacks that wouldn't normally be considered magical (barb combat and stuff like that). that would be cool. but stamina as it was used in D2 needs to either become relevant in later levels or get dropped.

9. Machina

Using it for the Barb's skills would certainly be an improvement.

Having Barb skills run off of stamina instead of mana would also make good gameplay sense given that Barbs currently tend to pump vitality instead of energy and only those who 'waste' points or who have high-end gear can afford to fully utilise the Barb's skills at present.

10. Neferim

Neferim Diabloii.Net Member

Unless they completely revamp the stamina system to be more relevant to the gameplay, I'd rather they remove it. I'm pretty sure it was only thrown in there to identify with the first Diablo, where you couldn't run at all. With a stamina bar, the power to run is "balanced out" so that it's not quite so different from D1. Theoretically anyway, in practice that didn't really happen. At any rate, running lowered your defense to zero, which meant that everything had 95% chance to hit you, so I think that's probably a sufficient drawback without having a stamina bar.

Even if they had the barbarian's skills work off of stamina, I would want them to change how stamina worked. It would essentially be the same thing as a mana bar anyway, except when you run out of mana you move a lot slower, which would be really annoying. I'd rather see them balance out the stats so that energy is more relevant, such as making skills improve in some aspects based on your energy. The Median XL mod for Diablo 2 already does this, and it makes energy much more meaningful than it was in CLoD.

11. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen Diabloii.Net Member

The place where I felt the stamina punch the most is ranged LLDing. It would sometimes decide the duel if you didn't micro-manage your ability to run, which really added a lot to the duel, in my opinion.

In general, once you get to higher levels your stamina pool becomes meaningless, but I do think it is a very good element of gameplay overall. This is especially true when you think back to Diablo I, where you could only walk. Running with limitations seems the next logical upgrade from that point, and now I think they intend to tie skills to stamina so that it becomes relevant at higher levels.

To sum it up, I'm all for having stamina. However, I question how well it will fit into their determination to make the game as fast paced at possible.

12. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say keep it in: LLD has use of it and it's not detrimental (not that much anyways) to other people :)

13. Tangent

Tangent Diabloii.Net Member

Melee characters will use a "Frenzy Bar" instead of a mana bar.

Frenzy Bar
    On the other hand, melee classes, will use this new bar, called a Frenzy Bar. I imagine that the Frenzy Bar probably regenerates faster than the Mana bar, and has much different mechanics. Such as the energy bars and mana bars in World of Warcraft.

source: http://diablo3blog.************/2008/07/diablo-3-what-we-know-about-user.html

14. Sincubus

Sincubus Diabloii.Net Member

But you have to walk very much, if you need to stop everytime and wait until that DAMN stamina bar is filled it's really only annoying...

And 3 kinds of potions is just too much... I already hate 2 kinds of potions and a third is just insane...

Stamina is a waste of space and time!

Remove it please! :p