staff with lvl 24 skills

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
staff with lvl 24 skills

i'm trying to buy a white/4s staff with lvl 24 skills, namely energy shield and thunderstorm (although lightning mastery, fire mastery, or hydra would be great.) i tried normal a1 and they don't sell 4s staves there. when i tried shopping a2, i couldn't see any skills higher than 12 (lightning,) although all the staves they sell can get 4s from lazruk. i tried with lvl 20 and 84 chars.

is there any combination of char levl and act that i can try?

edit: for hydra and fire mastery, i guess a 2s staff would be good.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
If I recall that isn't possible

Superhal said:
i'm trying to buy a white/4s staff with lvl 24 skills, namely energy shield and thunderstorm (although lightning mastery, fire mastery, or hydra would be great.) i tried normal a1 and they don't sell 4s staves there. when i tried shopping a2, i couldn't see any skills higher than 12 (lightning,) although all the staves they sell can get 4s from lazruk. i tried with lvl 20 and 84 chars.

is there any combination of char levl and act that i can try?

edit: for hydra and fire mastery, i guess a 2s staff would be good.
Nothing sold in normal can get 4oS and still be non-magical. You'll need to find the levels of the affixes you want from the appropriate lists and go hunting. Keep in mind the four-tier span when choosing bonuses.

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
Ax is correct here, although not quite complete.
There are a few issues at work.

Non-magical: a shopped item needs to be ilvl 24 or less to be non-magical.

4os : items will not be generated with 4 sockets until Nightmare

Skill tier : an item needs to be at least ilvl 25 to spawn level 24 skills.

The real stopper on what you want Hal is the first and last. Can't ever buy a white item with a level 24 skill anywhere, they are mutually exclusive.
You could shop a 4os white item in NM if you got a low level char there, but it still couldn't have the higher level skill.

To get one to drop with 4os, you need to be in NM, anywhere really has the same odds of being what you want. Or you could get an unsocketed one to drop and Larzuk it, it doesn't matter if it drops in normal then, the normal restriction to 3 sockets only applies to items spawned with sockets, not to adding them later.

Quietust

Diabloii.Net Member
Thrugg said:
Or you could get an unsocketed one to drop and Larzuk it, it doesn't matter if it drops in normal then, the normal restriction to 3 sockets only applies to items spawned with sockets, not to adding them later.
Incorrect - the socket restriction does not apply to difficulty level, but to the level of the monster that dropped it. Also, this restriction applies to ALL methods of adding sockets to the item, whether at spawn time, cube-socketing, or giving it to Larzuk.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, but this particular item was to be ilvl 25 at the minimum, so maybe it can get 4 sockets then?

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
Ahem :) There are two effects on the number of sockets in play here.

The one you are talking about is ilvl related, there are three divisions of ilvl (1-25, 26-40, 41+) and each item type has a max_sockets defined for each division that it cannot exceed no matter what. However, the staves Hal was interested in are all 4/4/4 so this is not important here.

There is also a further cap on items being generated by the game of 3 sockets in normal, 4 sockets in NM. An item that is spawned with sockets will never get more than these caps, even if it should be able to based on its ilvl and type.

That restriction is not used when you add sockets with Larzk or the cube though.