Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Staff usage viable in Hell?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by queenEm, Jul 31, 2010.

1. queenEm

queenEm IncGamers Member

Staff usage viable in Hell?

I have created a FO/FB sorc and have her at level 74 in Hell act 1. She gets killed like every 5 minutes and her merc even more... The merc is a Prayer lvl 74 also and has a Valkyrie Wing helmet, a Silks of the Victor armor and a unique polearm (Pierre Tombale Couant which is quite good)

My sorc has the usual skill setup and the following equipment
    Harlequin Crest
    Razorswitch staff
    Duriel's shell
    Frostburn gloves
    TearHaunch boots
    Tal Rasha's belt
    Some rings and charms etc

Is it at all possible to do Hell with a two hand weapon or I need to switch to an orb and shield?? I know my resistances are not maxed out yet but I thought I would at least be able to survive. As soon as I enter a cave or something where I can't back up and fight is impossible to survive. Especially the Pit level 1... Cold and fire immune rogues... jajks.

So my questions is: if I still want to go for a staff: what am I doing wrong? I think I have decent gear but something is obviously wrong...

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: Staff usage viable in Hell?

you don't have decent gear for a caster, I see very little fcr on your gear.
    I'm sure it is possible to play shieldless, but Spirit sword + shield is such a good cheap combo that I can't see why you wouldn't use them if you had nothing better.

The Merc's gear isn't much better either, and the pit is a lvl85 area, which i certainly wouldn't bother with at your character / gear level.

I'd suggest running NM Mephi / Andariel for some upgrades. You could run The Countess for the Spirit runes (Tal Thul Ort Amn) and you should be gravy.

Razorswitch
    +50% Damage To Undead
    +1 To All Skills
    30% Faster Cast Rate
    Magic Damage Reduced By 15
    All Resistances +50
    +175 To Mana
    +80 To Life
    Attacker Takes Damage Of 15

Or

Spirit
    4 Socket Swords/Shields
    Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    Weapons
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)
    +75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)

Plus

Shields
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    Cold Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +35%
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14

Spirit is Ladder only but on NL for pgems / crappy runes you will be able to get much better.
    Oddly enough imo by far the best unique staff is a Ribcracker which is a melee weapon, the unique / set staves are pants. Oculus + Lidless / Spirit + Spirit or other combos are simply so much better.

3. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

One problem could be is that you are a quite a low level still, may be worth Baal running for another level or so just to help out your merc, I'm guessing when he dies you follow, in the Pits, he has an 11 level disadvantage so will be getting a bit of a pounding.

Also, are you on p1? If you are using a higher setting it will be much more difficult.

As far as using a staff goes, Razorswitch is one of the best you can use. It is definitely viable but not optimal really, you can get much better resists/fcr/skills from a weapon/shield combo.

Not sure if you are willing to take donations if you are lacking a nice weapon/shield but I would be more than happy to send you something, if you don't mind taking HC items that is, just let me know.

Milb

Edit: Just reread your post, guessing you want to use a staff as opposed to weapon/shield, my advice:

Swap Frostburns for Magefists/Trangs
    Swap Duriels for a Skin of the Vipermagi (Don't worry about the CBF)
    If you have an Arachnid Mesh use that at 80
    Make sure one of your rings has 10 fcr.

These changes would get you to the 105fcr breakpoint, which makes me feel more more secure. You can use fast teleports to get yourself and your merc out of trouble. You'll probably still be lacking a lot of resists, but on the whole you can normally plug the gaps with charms. I would always keep lightning res maxed, fire and cold as high as possible, and don't worry about poison.

It may be worth staying out of the Pits until your merc is a higher level, you may fair better in the Mausoleum (next to Blood Raven), which is also a lvl 85 area, but lacks any natural cold immunes.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. queenEm

queenEm IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice: I'll stay away from the Pit for a while... Reason to use staff only is that I think that is the "natural" way to run a sorc, but I haven't paid enough attention to FCR I guess. Thought that was just a nice to have thing.

I will see what I can do Thanks for the donation, but I try to go self found, I have a more high level necro that can run some MFing for her...

5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Was having a think last night and realised that Heart of the Oak is available for staffs too. A Hoto in a 3 frozen orb 3 FB base would be very nice for this build, and massive style points. This is assuming you have a Vex knocking around, which isn't improbable any more.

I actually had a look at my stashes to see if I had anything nice, but I don't pick up many white staffs any more, the only one I found was a 3 Orb 2 Nova staff which kinda suggests a build to me ;)

6. queenEm

queenEm IncGamers Member

Well, no vex for me yet. Found 2 Ber within 2 days, apart from that I think Mal is my highest..

I looked through my stash (and nearly deleted the whole thing in GoMule!! Heart attack was an instant away...) and now she has 75 resist on all 4 and 70 in FCR meaning one breakpoint less than you suggested but she is already doing much better. I am using a Wizardspike as weapon and The Ward as shield. Very nice. Will see what can keep my merc alive a bit more as well...

7. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

The complete and utter nerfing of the staves was one of the things I hated about the patches. In almost every other area, they gave certain weapons advantages over others (IE, damage for 2 handed vs safety for 1 handed), however, with the sorc staves, they just turned them into crap. What sane mind would want to use a staff, even one as good as the HOTO Milb mentioned over a hoto/tals/eschutas with a spirit shield? At the cost of ONE point in FO and FB, you get block, defense, resists, more FCR, more vitality, etc.
    Blizzard really should have put some thought into making a godly staff.

8. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

agreed! tho tbh I'd settle for useable instead of godly, but to be fair yes they killed staffs but they did give sorcs (and everyone else) spirit sword + sheild, which imho is poor persons caster happy pants.

Maybe some BOTD / Death / Grief kinda price range caster staff would be a nice addition. Or even a LW kinda godly staff :D (not that i think LW is godly, but some 3+ HR staff RW that was made of win).

9. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Yep - staffs just can't compete with w/s combos hence the only real value they have is to collectors or people wanting a little extra xp in baal runs.

10. scwizard

scwizard IncGamers Member

Maybe if you're an Inferno Sorceress you could use a Leaf staff...

Inferno Sorceress o_O

11. droid

droid IncGamers Member

The only staff worth using is Ondals, and even then its only worth it for leeching on Baal runs :)

12. scwizard

scwizard IncGamers Member

I dunno, a light sorc could use Mang Song's to unexpectedly lower resists in PVP.

Assuming they overstack lres by 20 but only by 20 (to negate griff's), then you'll deal 100% more damage as their resists will be lowered from 75 to 50.

In PvM Burning Souls have 90% lightning resist AFTER conviction. Now lets say your Griffon's leaves something to be desired, and only lowers it a further 15%. You're still facing a monster with 75% lightning resistance. Lowering that by another 25% would likely make it die in one shot instead of two.