Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

St. Patrtick's Day....Why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Mar 17, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

St. Patrtick's Day....Why?

I've asked people at school the following question, yet no one has given me a decent answer.

Why is St. Patrick's Day celebrated in the way it is? Please no answers such as, "Because we are Irish." or "Because we can." Those aren't decent reasons as to why St. P's Day is celebrated in the way it is.

Let me ask a few more questions. First off, I'm not big on destroying holidays, though I seem to be. I just wonder why many, especially ones based on Christianity, are celebrated the way they are. This leads to my next two questions:
    1. Why is the holiday of a saint celebrated by drunkenness? So what if he is the patron saint of Ireland (please confirm)? He'd still look down upon the drinking.
    2. Why do people get all excited about it, even when they aren't going to drink? It's not Ireland Day, as many people in school make it seem. It was not created to show off that you are Irish. Maybe it just gives people a reason to celebrate. Which I can understand, but why pick St. Patrick's Day? Why not just some random day of the month that you want to be happy?
    3. Because from what I read, I think he was a great person as a mission, why don't I see anywhere to donate to missions?

Thanks for clearing all this up for me.

EDIT: Forgot the link to some information on St. Patrick. http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry?id=36256

2. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Irish love beer and whiskey, and any oppurtunity to drink those for a reason is good enough for most of us. Its kinda a Irish Pride day, those who are irish can kinda show their national pride.

I dont think it has to do with Saint Patrick at all anymore, just about Irish Pride now.

3. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

1. Why is any holiday celebrated by..... celebrations?

2. How many Irish based holidays do you know of?

4. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I'm sure Ireland has a national holiday simliar to the US's Fourth of July and France's Bastille Day.

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

1) Go to Ireland, it's a much more subdued celebration. You know, like no drinking from 0600 until blindness caused by acute alcohol poisioning.

2) Given that the U.S. has a significant population of Irish descent, I really don't see why the patron Saint of Ireland can't be celebrated. If you're Catholic, then you know there's something like 200 feast days for saints. Pick your own and start a new tradition!

3) You're not really trying that hard if you can't find a place to donate your money.

6. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Perhaps more to the point would be to ask 'Why is it only St Patrick's Day that ever seems to recieve any form of celebration?'

Living in England I'd fully expect us to celebrate St George's Day... but nooooo, doesn't happen. (Not that it makes any difference to me as I generally avoid anything remotely resembling a party/celebration, but still...)

7. piff

piff IncGamers Member

In responce to maccool, I think the second largest group of descent in this area is actually Irish. So I really have no problem with that. Also, you'd think that because the man that caused this holiday was a mission, you'd think that donating to missions would be pushed on this day. I don't think it should take looking to find a mission to donate to on his holiday.

EDIT: Good point, Shade. Never thoguht of that.

8. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

At some point, St. Patricks day was probably more focused on St. Patrick as a person and religious figure. The way it is now has a lot more to do with politics than religion though. As you probably know, in the 1800s there were a huge ammount of Irish immigrants coming over to the U.S., where instead of the golden land of opportunity, they found a land that wanted nothing to do with them. Racism and poverty were the norm. Eventually as the Irish gained political power through numbers, they used the holiday of St. Patricks day to promote Irish nationalism and heritage, and also to show the rest of the U.S. that they werent all the illiterate, drunken, animals that they were sometimes depicted as. So yeah, its basically an Irish pride day.

As for why we drink on St. Patricks, who the hell cares. Why do we hide eggs on Easter, or blow **** up on the 4th of July? Whats with the beads on Mardi Gras, or what is Cinco de Mayo about (other than Corona)? Really, if you think about it, most holidays have evolved into either gift giving holidays, or drinking holidays. I prefer the drinking variety. :drink:

Anyway, bottoms up lads, throw back a Guinness or six and tell logic and history to **** off.

Happy St. Patricks day

MajorB

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Thanks, majorB. That's a great reason and I am enlightened.

And I'd take one of those Guinnesses now if I were of age.

EDIT: SCG's avatar just made me think of something else...not to mention made me chuckle...what's with the kiss me I'm Irish thing?

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It's an excuse to drink. Don't try to understand the system. Just go with it.

11. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

Two words: Green beer. :buddies:

12. th5418

th5418 Banned

Also, whats with the green thing.......... Are you supose to wear green, or not supose to?

13. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Rolfz I Lik 2 Pintch Ppl When Dey Dun Where Gureen!!1111!!1

14. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

St. Patrick chased all the snakes out of Ireland and replaced them all with big vats of beer. Well actually, some of the snakes went into the beer, and when you drink beer that has serpent in it you're likely to turn a little green. Hence the color connection.

Hope this helped. :)

15. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

I wish I had an excuse to drink.... Well, actually, I do have an excuse to drink. My grandfather died on St-Patrick's Day.... about 12 years ago, I believe. I was 6, if memory serves well... :hanky: So, yeah, that's my reason for drinking on St-Patty's day.. Not a very happy reason, but a reason nonetheless...

To anyone who is Irish, though, have a great St-Patty's day. Oh, and Guiness is trying to make it an official national holiday with an online petition on their website. :xirish:

16. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

People like drinking. People like parties. People like drinking. People like holidays. People like drinking. People don't like getting in trouble for getting drunk.

So we have a day where you can get drunk in public and as long as you don't do anything to stupid, it socially acceptable

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

it's another drunken catholic thing, I'd have thought you'd all understand by now

wow, is this really the blood of christ?
    -yes
    he musta been wasted 24hours a day!

plus you can have a shamrock shake with thin mints, how bad *** is that?

18. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Sounds like a little thing we call "la Saint-Jean-Baptiste" here in Quebec... Or, as most locals call it, "the Day of Booze." :D That one's a bit happier point for me.

19. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

I'm the only Irish guy who doesn't drink.

20. Scipico-Africanus

Scipico-Africanus IncGamers Member

The crucial thing most people forget about St Patrick was the fact that he was English.

And some may argue, possibly the last English man to do good by the Irish.....