Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Risingred, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Anyone out there willing to answer a question or two? All I can really offer in exchange is snotty replies and/or help with Englisch if you would prefer.

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Re: Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Just throw the question out, and you'll probably get your answer. :)

3. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

yups just throw it out here i bet you that krischan will answer them for you :) (or krupa for that matter)

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That kind of spelling is a good start.

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I was going to reply, "Nur eyen bytchin" but there hardly seems a point, now.

6. krischan

You can still make fun of my translation to English then.

7. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

I love listening to the language, but learning it is schwer D:

8. Risingred

That was actually a typo of sorts. :p
    Sometimes when I go to type "and", I type "und" and other assorted errors. Kind of messing with my head/work.

This is kind of embarrasing, actually, but my problem is with sind vs ist. I have a lot of examples in the texts I'm pulling from, ie:

Ist das die Wand? (Why is this an example? When are you going to ask this? Seriously.)
    Sind das die Klassenzimmer?

And I'm studying verb conjugation, and I understand it fine, but I have no idea when to use sind and when to use ist. :hanky:

I was also wondering about capitalization of nouns but, unless I'm mistaken here, every noun gets capitalized, whether it is "proper" or not?

Side note: I kind of wish German was my native language. It's more beautiful than I expected, and it is so much more emotive than English. It isn't as "accurate" but, for writing, it has a lot of potential over English for certain types of stories.
    Danke schön!

9. krischan

ist = is, sind = are (3rd person plural). The use of ist vs. sind should be pretty much the same as is vs. are in English.

Every noun is capitalized, in particular after the spelling reform from a few years ago (it includes adjectives turned into substantives, like "im Allgemeinen" - in general), except ich, du, wir etc. The exception to this exception is Sie as a formal version of du.

I learned German in a natural manner, so LorveN might know more about rules and hints involving how to learn it.

10. Risingred

Hmm.
    I had thought that sind was simply plural but some of the examples I have been given have sind referring to a noun which is not plural, such as "Klassenzimmer" unless I'm mistaken on that.

Would it not be:

Sind das die Klassenzimmeren?

The capitalization makes things very easy. I like that. I wish they would consider doing that for English, in America at least.
    But thank you, this makes things a lot easier. I have a very bad instructor and a horrible text book, so I am trying to teach myself.

11. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

asking a friend. will have an answer shortly.

(btw. not to derail this, i SO wanted to type "sprechen sie dick" from Step-Brothers. >.> sorry!!)

12. Leopold Stotch

hope this helps and i hope i quoted this right... just took from the MSN window... good luck. :)

13. krischan

Leo's friend got it right, just scrap the last sentence. The plural definite pronoun happens to be spelled the same way as feminine singular.

14. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

I was told (2/3rd language german) that if you can touch something, then capitalise it.
    e.g Stool, Tür, Fenster, Man, Hund...etc.

Don't ask me about der, die, das. Every time I write in german I get lots of lovely red marks underlining the mistakes 99% it's the fault of der die das.

Also I don't have my classes in english, everything is in german. But I'll see if there are any tricks I can remember.... *scratches imaginary beard*

15. krischan

Stuhl, Tür, Fenster, Mann, Hund is correct.

It seems that if it ends with an e, it's often feminine in German, but not always (Tür is feminine, for example)... and not all words with a vocal at the end might be feminine. LorveN knew a rule which hit it quite well, but I don't remember it. As said, I know it because I learned it naturally. Learning the gender of nouns is probably a nightmare.

Spelling is probably easier than in English, however.

16. Leopold Stotch

i asked about that just out of curiousity and she told me:

"der" = masculine "the"

"das" = neutral "the"

"die" = feminine and for plural.... that part i am not sure about. Krischan? :)

17. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

Well, there are of course exceptions. I don't think there is an instant way to tell if which gender it is. Naturally = Die Frau, Die Tochter (the woman the daughter) is fem. and der Man (the man) is masc. and yes if something is plural it is die.

But there are exceptions and I think the only thing you can do is learn the word along with its equivalent gender. Same as french -_-

18. krischan

That's correct. Genitive, dative and accusative are different, of course :evil:

19. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

It's strange, dutch and german are pretty similar, but here we only have *de* and *het*

Oh the hours I spent staring at german nouns. Now I realise if I just throw some dem around the place it sounds so much better.

:yes:

20. Risingred

It is a nightmare. What I'm doing is I'm learning the gender along with the noun. I have not seen a discernible pattern to what is female, masculine, or neuter.

I would say that spelling is about the same, if not a little easier in English. At least for me. Because of the umlaut and other factors to make sentence agreement, there are often subtle spelling changes for many words in German. Learning it makes me want to cry but I'm not going to quit on it. I have a good deal riding on it. :p

I do know about der, das, die, however. It would be incorrect to say that the plural die is feminine because, if anything (like in Spanish "los") it's neutral. It is simply the plural article.

I've only been in the class for it for two weeks but I think I'm getting there. Slowly unlocking the rosetta stone in the back of my brain. I really appreciate the help...whenever I ask on the "other" forum I go to, if I don't say something in German and it is 100% accurate, the German guys there will not respond to it. : /