Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sports advice needed.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Mar 31, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Sports advice needed.

I play for my school's varsity boy's volleyball team. It's only my second year playing overall, and I am starting setter. Not really because I deserve it, it's just because there are no other setters that are willing to set. We were last in our state last year. The way this season is going, it's gonna happen again.

I'm really down on myself from tonight's match. I put every serve into play, during both warm ups and the match. That I've never done before. But that was my only high point. Of all three of our matches.

This is going to be my first full year setting. My coach and my teammates know this. But I'm forced to take the weight of the team on my shoulders. I just can't think right during a match. What can I do mentally to get myself into the game better. I've tried a lot of things...maybe I'm over looking something. What do the athletes here try?

2. Night

Night IncGamers Member

Breathe deeply?
    Helps me clear my mind of obstacles and focus my attention.

3. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Setter is the best:thumbsup: Missed try-outs with flu this year :(

Listen to favorite music up to as close to the game as possible, try to detach your mind from the body and all that meta-phsyical stuff

Remember it's a game, and that when a team loses, they all lose...in a team sport like this, one person can not lose a game by himself, unless he holds every ball or something stupid like that...

4. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

The best thing to do is get in a rountine before each match, therefor eliminating all stress and letting you focus.

Like mmememememe said, you could listen to music before each game.

5. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Some good advice there. I would start with not getting too down on yourself after a game. Remember that the sun will still come up tomorrow, and you will have the remainder of your life to live. While you still give everything you have to win, it's not the end of the world to lose or play poorly.

If you can make your pre-game preparation some sort of routine, then you should soon get into a comfortable state of mind for the game. After that, it's just a matter of letting your talent and ability take over, and trying to anticipate what you will have to be doing next.

Good luck for the season.

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I second the music. Find something that gets you pumped up. Maybe something a little angrier or louder than you usually listen to.

7. lala

lala IncGamers Member

try to take in lots of sugars... sometimes when you are high, you do a lot of things you were never brave enough to do. since you seem to play ok, the sugar would push you to your limits.

or you can do the thing that guys like to do with their ding dong..

8. superman22

superman22 IncGamers Member

haha i can totally relate..

last year i was supposed to be first string runningback for varsity and second string linebacker.

well the thing is, the guy in front of me, has been ahead of my ever since freshman year, and i dont mind that, cause i dont play defense. i only play linebacker as a secondary fun option. i was mostly a runner, and a pretty damn good one too.... :lol: one game, my coach made me run like 10 running plays in a row (stupid coach... :grrr: ) but yeah...

come junior year, the guy in front of me can't play cause of grades, so about a week before the varsity season starts, im put in the starting line up for linebacker.

never played a second of linebacker my sophomore year
    played sparsely my freshman year.

and here i was... starting as linebacker in a varsity game.
    yup. the adrenaline was pumping alright...

but for me.. all the nervousness and everything, it only lasts up to the point wher eoyu first make contact and actually begin the game. once the game starts, my concentration is within the game... naturally before the game, youre anxious, worried, etc. everything compiled into one messed up and horrifying feeling....

but after that first knockdown to the opponent, *yowzah!* thigns are better...

im not sure if tahts the saem for you.. if yorue worried during the game.. you shouldnt be. just play. have fun.
    paly so that you want to win for yourself. play with the attitude that youre better than them, and that you should beat them. if you play with the attitude that you have to win for your coach or for your audience, you WILL be worried. if youplay for yourself, thigns become better.

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I listened to Disturbed one match, Phungusamungus another. (Phungus is a hard group, hard to classify it as anything else). We normally get pumped up as a team, by going to the locker room and slamming lockers and joking around.

I really had trouble Wednesday because of some fans and I got drilled with possibly the hardest hit in the entire match...in the jaw. I felt the blow in the back of my head for the rest of the match. How can I block these things out, especially when your coach is only concentrating on your setting, not on how to teach me to play defense or anything?