Sporadic lag, but no DirectDraw?

madadder

Diabloii.Net Member
Sporadic lag, but no DirectDraw?

Hey guys. Every now and then (let's say once every 5-10 minutes) my game lags up really bad (can't do anything for about 3 seconds, enough time usually to get me killed).

I read this can be remedied by running VidTest again and selecting "DirectDraw" instead of "Direct3D". So I did this, but when I run VidTest again (whether I run the test or skip it) it shows that I still have Direct3d selected.

So basically can I not select DirectDraw? Vidtest says I'm capable of it, but it doesn't seem to be saving my selection.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
the file that saves your video prefs could be marked as read only

open your d2 folder,
click edit --> select all --> ok (if it asks)
then file --> properties
and uncheck the read only box and click ok
and yes to all if it asks again

then try changing it again

madadder

Diabloii.Net Member
Tried, didn't work. I'm in RegEdit, can someone tell me what value I need to change to make it into DirectDraw? I'm guessing my answer lies in there somewhere.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
have you tried running dxdiag and see if your video card has any probelms with the directdraw tests

of if your user account for windows has the reg keys locked it wont be able to change your video settings

to fix the lag problem, you might have some virus/spyware on your computer
run spybot, adaware, hijackthis and whatever antivirus program you have

madadder

Diabloii.Net Member
I ran dxdiag, DirectDraw worked fine, and my user is an administrator so the RegKeys aren't locked.

I'll run those spyware progs, but I don't think that's the problem.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
when your playing d2 type /fps
itll tell you if its using in d3d or ddraw
d2vidtest might default to selecting d3d if its available

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
What's happening is that when you run the video test, the game will automatically select the option that it recommends. In your case, it finds that you should be able to run in Direct3D, and selects that. It doesn't mean that your previous selections of DirectDraw didn't work, they did - it's just that running the test again causes it to select 3D as it's recommendation.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
The random lag is a part of the "feature" of bnet nowadays, even with direct draw.

All the more reason for you to get a summoner.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you playing with '/FPS' or '/Framerate' options enabled? Battle.Net latency issues will show up in the Ping record, so you have to determine if it is B.ent (network) or Direct3D (renderer), as Blizzard's ingenious use of DirectX as a renderer was wholeheartedly an afterthought. The game was originally made for GLide, and Blizzard panicked when 3dfx went bankrupt, throwing together whatever they could before upper management dropped this bug-laden game on us.

If you're periodically getting 1000+ pings on a broadband connection usually returning 15/31/etc, or getting no response at all for several seconds (mercenaries run in place, minions stand next to enemies without attacking) and then returning to sped-up animation without much time to react, then you're simply in the same boat as the rest of us, sorry to say - that's B.ent, and that's why it's called B.ent (get bent, get it?).