Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spoiled mercs and where to find...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Cerberus, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

Spoiled mercs and where to find...

Hi!

Was wondering about a few things..

1. Best place to find a white monarch.
    I guess this would be the first place they can drop (and get 4os at larzuk), but no idea where this is.

2. Merc armors
    I made a stone out of an eth 802 def wire fleece, but it turned out really low (2624). Last night I found an
    eth Gladiators Bane
    193% ed
    2168 def
    Dmg reduced by 16
    M Dmg by 19
    attacker takes dmg of 20
    + the other mods

Would my merc be better of with this? Guess it comes down to testing, but it can be hard to tell why he decides to take a break when he does..
    I`m even considering making another stone from an eth 790 def hauberk. Is that just a terrible waste? Then again, I like to spoil him..

And for those who read the entire post and need Pgems I find NM council excellent for such purposes. Its superfast and you almost always turn out with one or more flawless. Beats trading uniques for Pgems IMO. Then again, this might be old news..

Thx!

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

First: Finding a monarch is quite simply made in cowgames, if you have a char that can wipe cows fast that is. Javazons are exellent for that purpose. The cows may not have the single highest chance, but keep in mind they are many! Make sure your char has as low mf as possible, since you do not want any magic items ;)

Second: Stone is an exellent armor for mercs. If you feel rich, instead of making a new one out of a lower base def armor, why not remove the sockets from the first one (which you said turned out low), and hope for a better one?
    Still, I'd not do it anyway, since I usually can find better ways to use um runes. 2.6k def isnt bad at all. As long as the merc has lifesteal and decent attackspeed he wont die. 60fhr makes stone (from own experience) one of the best merc armors availible. They never stand still, they just keep hitting and leeching.
    Gladiators might be good too, but I would stick to Stone anyway.

You might however just try it out by testing both on, and see how well he does.

3. Cerberus

Hi!

Cows makes sense. I`ve been running pits, but my meteorb with holy freeze merc copes well with cows. The plan is obviously to make a spirit, as I`ve found a way to boost my str to the needed 156. This involves andys which is currently on my merc (thus robbing him of 9%LL.. ), but I`ve got a decent Gaze to make up for it. I was planning on running cows for runes with the spirit, so the loss of 74% from the shako doesn`t bother me that much.
    His weapon is an insight col voulge (lvl 16 med) btw.

As for armor I had cannot be frozen in mind, but I guess 60fhr is a good trade off (and 500 def of course... ). I`ve been tempted to remove the sockets as I`m not likely to get my hands on a better one, but with some luck I could get an um for the current one. At least it`s not getting any worse by keeping it.

Thanks!

4. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

if you on US East ladder I believe I have an extra white monarch I can give you if you want. Just message me if you still want it and I'd then look in my chars to see who has it

5. Cerberus

Im on Europe :(
    But thx anyway!

6. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

about #2

In my opinion, the best armor for a merc is fortitude.
    Gives nice damageboost and defense + has the resistance bonus. I'm preparing one myself now in an eth sacred armor.
    Of course it's a little more expensive than stone but worth it, imo.
    Stone is quite cheap to make but it doesn't add much damage (16str), though the defense can get super high if made in superior eth sacred armor, up to what you prefer, I guess.

7. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Spoilt merc? My merc's equipment > My equipment in terms of rune value.

8. Cerberus

I`ve looked at the stats on arreat summit, but the the armor mods confuse me somewhat. A Fort armor get the mods listed on weapons, right?
    Im not likely to get my hands on Lo soon anyways, but..

Views on insight vs obedience btw? Currently using an insight col voulge, but I`ve found this eth 5os tresher.. Not sure If its worth having to start drinking pots again, though. (playing a meteorb with this merc).

9. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Insight looks cooler.

On pure damage Insight wins marginally due to the crit hit. It comes down to crushing blow vs meditation. For a sorceress there is no question. The meditation is just too useful, and the crushing blow has lesser value because static field can be used.

10. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Fortitude gets weapon+armor stats. The 300% ed bonus and quite good 200% to def make it a very nice armor runeword.

Insight is probably better if you need mana cup refill. Obedience just gives your merc more damage.

11. Cerberus

Does the +crit hit work on mercs? I thought they only used their fixed skills (jab/aura for act2 I believe), but I might be wrong about this.
    Apart from that, I`ll have to agree that med just is too useful for a sorc in any case.

I`ve just been so tempted by the 370ed on a 18-211dmg tresher..
    A fortitude with this would have been even cooler, but then it`s starting to become a whole different thing. Prob should have a might merc for this.

12. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

in my opinion, your better off making a second stone, rather than recovering the wirefleece and trying again. 2600 def is nothing to sneeze at. :) with even a decent weapon (eth spire of honor, or better), i doubt your merc will die much from anything other then IM.

13. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

AFAIK, Critical strike is a passive skill. Insight adds critical strike for ALL characters/mercenaries. Therefore it would work.

14. dlscowby

dlscowby IncGamers Member

hey guys, i am in the process of building almost the same type of merc :) but im using perf gaze, and a 1600 defense fort, i am trying to build an obediance for him, but i cant find the runewords for it, i was wondering if anyone could tell me the order and the runes for it, but in response to his questioning, if his merc is for sorc, i would defenitly stay with insight, the mana is great and the merc doesnt really need to do alot of damage, just needs to be a tank that doesnt get hit, which stone is good for. my merc will be for my barb, so the might and extra dmg will be great. all depends on the character.

15. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

For barb, I'd recommend Pride runeword (gives level 16-20 Concentration). Crescent moon is also nice for the 7% CTC Static field on striking.

Obedience can be made into 5soc polearms and needs: Hel+Ko+Thul+Eth+Fal.

16. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

17. dlscowby

dlscowby IncGamers Member

thanks alot guys, helped me out a bunch :)