Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spirit Shield or not?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Milb, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Spirit Shield or not?

Hey,

Just after a few people's opinion on the Spirit Shield.

Back when I played on Bnet, this was by far my favourite shield, but then I tried a sorc with block using a Visceratuant and I was also impressed with that.

I'm going to using this on an MF Blizzballer sorc who will hopefully be farming Mephi, so what would your suggestions be?

Rhyme/Visceratuant - max block?
    Lidless/Spirit - no block?
    Other?

2. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

It's just prefrence really and i have yet to build a max block sorc so i can't really comment on whats best.

If it's going to just be used for meph i would probably go the vita route as you will be doing the moat trick i assume.

Ethier way both options should be all right

3. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

i would chose max block Rhyme, because irc it has mf on it already and it an already high block shield it should make getting max block easyer than with visceratuant

although spirt would increase your skill speed so you could do more runs:scratch:

4. chrischar

chrischar IncGamers Member

My suggestion is to go with Spirit and max life.
    Keep energy and dexterity at base values.Use just enough str for gear,and everything else goes to life.
    I think this option is far superior to the other.

5. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Forgot to add iirc Milb you play Hardcore ?

Then i would go with max block

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

• DarkChaos just 99'ed a Blizzballer with Lidless and no block.
    • Nightfish used a Meteorb with Lidless and no block.
    • Both are arguably the greatest Hardcore players ever.

-GG

7. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I was mainly asking this as I saw DC's sorc had no block :smiley:

My old no block sorc's never really died when using Spirit but they were normally twinked as hell. My first HC sorc had block and it probably saved her a few times, however I was using pretty low damage spells (Orb/Hydra/Fball) and with Blizz as my main killer nothing should really get close to me.

I'm not too worried about archers either as I don't plan on going near them, not after my necro bit the dust in Pits 2, and he had good block.

8. ZeN

ZeN IncGamers Member

I'll repost my own post here.

Mind you, the debate was - if it is wise to spend so much on strength. Not block vs vita. It is still food for thought, as you can compare that to any blocking shield.

Besides - if your sorceress needs max block to survive - you are doing something very wrong.

9. colony

colony IncGamers Member

If it was fully twinked I'd go with max blocking and ES, but as it's untwinked I think spirit/vita might be a better option, even if you do only get a quite pathetic 2 life per vit point. Basically untwinked with pretty shoddy items the extra 350 or life you get from going vita might save you, and the stats on spirit are just so much better than the ones on rhyme it makes sense.

Assuming you can react fast enough to freeze monsters before the nasty ones can hit you then you'll be ok without block.

10. jantia

jantia Banned

I'm a big fan of the spirit/spirit for the untwinked.

11. San

San IncGamers Member

Farming Meph at players 1 doesn't require any skill, at least with a Blizz sorc. Well, the Kelpie Snare on a act II merc helps, but I don't feel that necessary. Reaper's is almost as good with it's Decrepify.
    Edit: What I meant was, that there's no need to prance about, or to use the moat trick.

But seriously, with 400 in Vitality, and enough damage to kill Meph with 2-3 Blizzard-casts, nothing will have time to hit you enough many times to get you killed.

12. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Spirit: yes.
    Max block: no, use your merc for blocking :smiley: IMO max block is only needed if you are Nova sorc.

13. Murderya

Murderya Banned

Another alternative is to use bone prison charges from marrow walks to keep Meph in one place. He doesn't get one hit off on me...

14. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon IncGamers Member

I would tend to favor Rhyme, but not for it's blocking ability. It has Cannot Be Frozen as well as decent MF, a combination you are not likely to find in any other item slot.

I'm not a big max block fan. I'd go Vita instead.

15. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I agree.

In all my time i've never played a mature blizz sorc ... only a Tal's Meteorb sorc and I do have to say that I don't use the Moat Trick at all and my merc survives fine on players 1-5 farming Meph using various gear. Sometimes crushing blow gear, sometimes Holy Freeze plus Decrep.

You should be dishing enough damage to prevent your merc from dying anyways. Plus, that's what reds and purples are for.

I do have a Spirit Monarch and I like it for the additives .. of course the STR reqs are steep but what the hell, it works for me. Then again, i've never ventured much into hardcore so my skills are probably sloppy. :laugh:

16. Skinny

Skinny Banned

1. Spirit is simply amazing, easily worth the 156 str

2. For a Blizzballer farming Meph and then probably Baal, going block is pointless IMHO.

BTW, if you're not planning to run Baal, a pure Blizz sorc will be much faster at Meph than a Blizzballer. I would say that a Blizzballer is pretty gear dependant if you want to make her work while a blizz sorc can practically run around naked and still kill things

17. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

I'm not a big fan of blocking, I'd rather have the vita to stave off elemental attacks, seeing as they are ranged. There are not all that many ranged attacks that you can block, and the merc can physically block the melee. Sometimes I like blocking, but on sorcs like these I'd rather not. Keep in mind, however, that for my Blizzballer every point of vita and life counted, seeing as it was (almost) doubly boosted by BO.

As for Spirit, all you h4x0r RWM people... why is it even a debate? Spirit is overpowered... it would be overpowered even if it didn't require the runes it does now... Just get the extra strength, Spirit is more than worth it...

18. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

IMO, lidless/spirit with vita instead of blocking. It's terribly hard to get spirit to max block...

19. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I think I will go back to using Spirit after all those comments :smiley:

I may twink this char after a month if she is still alive, I will be using her in the untwinked grail tourney for the time being though.

I don't want to make her a pure Blizz sorc either as I think I have played with them enough, I think about 50% of my Bnet time was a pure Blizz sorc and a good chunk of my SP time has been one too so I wanted a change.

@bg: Not planning on blocking with spirit, iirc its at least 250 dex for max block :shocked:

About blocking: Can you get 'block-locked' still? ie teleporting into a group of enemies and then due to blocking animation never be able to tele away?

20. colony

colony IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure this changed in 1.10. Now when you block you just can't block another attack until the blocking animation is finished, and I assume the other hits bypass the block calculation completely, giving you a chance to get away. I might be wrong, that's just the impression I've got through playing.