Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SPF Tourney Septavirate Guardian #6 of 7

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jiansonz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

SPF Tourney Septavirate Guardian #6 of 7

I entered the No-Vitality tournament with a Paladin. It´s the class I am the most "noobish" with. Before this tourney, I had only reached Hell difficulty once with a Paladin, and NM only twice more. (embarrassing note: I had also gotten two "All Alone" Frost Zealots killed in the same place: Forgotten Reliquary in Normal!)

I had trouble "getting into" the character class. Most of the popular builds did not appeal to me. Hammerdins felt ridiculous, boring and overpowered. I have never liked Zeal either. It´s hard to explain, but Zeal is far too "unprecise" for my liking. Still, I really wanted a character with maxed Fanaticism. Fanatic Avenger has potential, but being often in the thick of things in a No-Vita tourney, naa...

Fanatic Ranger, then? I had tried that before, up to late Nightmare and it was pretty fun. But Pallys are natural shield users (and a shield felt like a good idea in a No-Vita tourney) and I figured the extra resists on Pally Shields would help a lot, because then I can hog up the inventory with more +life charms. Ranged attacks with a shield would literally be the best of both worlds. Every stat point would be going to STR or DEX, both which boost the damage with throwing weapons. So I chose to make a Fanatic Thrower. My Paladin in early Hell is mostly an assistant (Concentration, plus Smite for crowd/boss control) for his melee merc. So doing something like Fanaticism-assisting a melee merc for most of the game felt old. I love rogue mercs, and here was a chance to make one much more powerful than usual. Rogue it was!

The journey through Normal was uneventful. As usual, I built up the MF as much as possible.

In early Nightmare, I scored a gamble that was just as awesome as it was unlikely: Witchwild String. Not only did I have to roll both upgrade to exceptional base item plus roll unique quality in the same gamble, but not all of the gambles would be high enough in ilvl for a WWS to be even possible. Even more wacky was that me going for Short Battle Bows was somewhat a result of boredom and the frustration of gambling only one item type (Composite Bow was the most strategic choice at the time, Long Bow the second best).

Anyway, like Insane Wayne commented in the tourney thread, Iantha the rogue was now set for the endgame. With maxed Fanaticism, she would need only 45% IAS to reach the final attack speed breakpoint (something I have never been even close to before). A Shael added two BPs right away, and a +max damage jewel became its companion. I figured that if I got lucky and later would find a Lem rune and make a 'Treachery' armor for her, I could remove those socketables and go all-out damage with the bow.

Why so much talk over a merc weapon? Because it became the heart and soul of the whole gameplay! As you may know, I prefer to let the merc get the kills. Mostly for MF reasons, but also because I like to play that way. I get far less tired when I don´t need to spam an attack all the time, and I can also better see and react to dangers.
    Another thing with the WWS was that it made us a lot less sensitive to immunities. The ctc (pretty high level) Amp made many fights with PI monsters a lot easier. This bow also fires Magic Arrows, converting some of the physical damage to magic damage. I know it worked, because Iantha could kill even FI+PI monsters.

The MF thing worked out really well. Tero found more S/U items than any other character I have played. Probably because he was at /p3 for almost the entire Hell difficulty, and sporting around +250% MF there.

Most of Nightmare was dominated by Iantha and her arrows, but gradually, Tero´s crowd control skills, Smite and Conversion, became more and more important. I found them so important and useful that I ended up maxing them both.

Smite was for controlling small packs, and to stop even single monsters in their tracks, to keep them away from Iantha so she could be more effective. It was also a good tool to move around monsters whenever I wanted to do that. Up to three monsters was very easy to control. Maxed Smite has around 5 seconds stun duration vs regular monsters (and about 1 second vs bosses) so it was very easy to keep a few monsters stunned. Smite is also the tool to stunlock tough bosses that you really do not want to fight in an "honest" way. Just find a suitable wall and smack the bugger into submission! Cursed bosses usually never got a hit in...And the stunlock effect works against the Ancients!!! Man, that is huge for HC play. The only monsters immune to it are act bosses and Izual. Maybe Griswold as well?

Conversion was for use against bigger packs, for getting breathing room in stairs trap situations, and for temporary parkings of monster packs I wanted to fight later rather than now. It was also used to get fodder to tank tough melee bosses I did not want to stunlock with Smite (like FELE, CELE or LE/Conviction, etc.).

Travelling though late Nightmare and then Hell, I found myself more and more comfortable with the gameplay. We could handle small melee packs, large melee packs, nightmarish melee bosses, ranged attackers. Our only weakness was tough melee Champ packs (with more than two Champs) in an early part of an area. And maybe Gloams in wide open areas.

The Throwing, then. Wasn´t that what the build was all about? Not as it turned out, no. OK, Tero did throw a bit now and then (usually to be able to take down a dangerous boss quickly, before a Conversion timer had run out and the whole monster pack would attack us).

I used my (expensively invested) maxed Conviction and my lightning damage javelins against exactly four monsters...

Final Stats

Guardian Tero, level 87 Fanatic Thrower/Smite Paladin

Stats:
    STR: 232
    DEX: 258+3
    VIT: 25 (of course)
    ENE: 15+2

Life (with items): 1178 (about 900 for most of Hell, because I used Skullder´s Ire rather than the +life armor)
    Mana (with items): 156

Resists in Hell (main switch):
    Fire 69
    Cold 37 (I had 67 for most of Hell Act V, because Larzuk put a hole in Skullder´s)
    Lightning 76
    Poison -7

Skills:
    (Note: all skills were +2 for most of the late game; +1 from Hell Ancients and onwards)

Prayer 1
    Defiance 1
    Cleansing 1
    Resist Lightning 2
    Vigor 1
    Redemption 1

Might 1
    Holy Fire 1
    Thorns 1
    Blessed Aim 1
    Concentration 1
    Holy Freeze 1
    Sanctuary 1
    Fanaticism 20
    Conviction 20

Sacrifice 1
    Smite 20
    Zeal 1
    Charge 1
    Vengeance 1
    Conversion 20

Endgame Gear:
    * Tero´s Circlet of the Squid, reward-socketed with 2x Perfect Ruby: +147 life
    * Monk´s Amulet of the Whale (95)
    * Tero's Blood Needle (rare Harpoon): +274% ED, +11 minimum, +111 AR, +40% IAS, +1 Warcries, replenishing
    * Jeweler´s Full Plate of the Squid with 4x Perfect Ruby: +224 life
    * 'Rhyme', Tero´s Akaran Targe: 60% Resist All
    * Hailstone Finger (crafted Heavy Gloves): 5% ctc lvl 3 Frost Nova when struck, +16 Life, 10% Crushing Blow, 1% life steal, 20% IAS, +6% MF
    * Wraith Eye (rare Ring): +27 to Life, Fire Resist +28%, Lightning Resist +25%
    * Coral (29) Plated Belt of the Whale (93)
    * Doom Coil (rare Ring): +2 ENE, +9 mana, +1 max damage, Fire Resist +20%, Cold Resist +19%
    * Fiend Brogues (rare Greaves): +3 DEX, Fire Resist +28%, Lightning Resist +32%, 30% Faster Run/Walk

Weapon switch
    * Shocking (1-412) Throwing Spear
    * 'Rhyme' Heraldic Shield: 35% Resist All

* Grand Charm of Sustenance (30)
    * Grand Charm of Sustenance (31)
    * Chilling Grand Charm of Sustenance (33)
    * Grand Charm of Vita (37)
    * Large Charm of Vita (34)
    * Shimmering (3) Small Charm of Life (9)
    * Lapis (6) Small Charm of Life (5)
    * Lapis (7) Small Charm
    * Cobalt (8) Small Charm of Blight
    * Azure (4) Small Charm of Sustenance (15)
    * Small Charm of Life (10)
    * Small Charm of Sustenance (14)
    * Small Charm of Sustenance (15)
    * Small Charm of Vita (18)
    * Bronze Small Charm of Vita (18)
    * Small Charm of Vita (20)

In in-game stash
    (for most of the time)
    * Throwing Spear of Vileness (almost never needed)
    * Buzzing Gnarled Staff of Teleportation (used to get onto Fangskin´s altar, and to separate NM/Hell Ancients)
    * Ring of Telekinesis (to open Evil Urns from around a corner)
    * 'Nadir' Cap (for handling Pindle´s zombie garden in NM/Hell, before I got a Conversion chain going)
    * 'Black' Knout (used against NM/Hell Ancients and act bosses, and for exploding corpses around Hell Nihlathak)

Iantha of the Sightless Eye, level 87 Fire Rogue
    * Darksight Helm (but she used a 3x PTopaz Artisan´s Great Helm of the Jackal for almost all of NM/Hell)
    * Witchwild String unique Short Siege Bow (+165% ED), with a Shael rune and a +14 Jewel of Carnage
    * Jeweler´s Gothic Plate of Negation (6), with 2x Jewel of Fervor, a Rusty (+14% ED) Jewel of the Icicle, and an Emerald (+7% MF) Jewel of Envy

Areas skipped: none

Monsters parked: none!

Number of uniques found: 98 (23 of them exceptional, 4 of them elite: Nord´s Tenderizer, Baranar´s Star, The Gladiator´s Bane, Wizardspike)
    Number of set items found: 116 (9 of them exceptional, 3 of them elite: Dangoon´s Teaching, Naj´s Light Plate, Laying of Hands))

Finally, here is the guy he is named after.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Addendum: the other five:
    Brynhilde the Valkazon (Tankazon tourney)
    Sten the Set/Unique Worshipper Concentrate Barbarian
    Freddie the Rare Pleasures Returnomancer and Lord of Mages
    Aaliyah the Alphabet FO/FW Sorcie
    Burt the Green with Envy Fire/Grizzly Druid

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I congratulated you in the tournament thread already, but this build deserves another one. Very well done!

Cheers :guiness:

3. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

Re: SPF Tourney Septavirate Guardian #6 of 7

Nice work, congratulations!

Got any plans for the 'sin yet?

4. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Wow! Congrats on another tourney Guardian! :thumbup: GL on the 'sin.

5. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

Superb character. I especially like the Wraith Eye ring and the customized merc armor.

I will remember Tero every time I see "Iantha" in the rogue line-up.

6. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Yes EXCELLENT achievement Jiansonz :congrats:.

The way you have utilized the Paladin's skills, attributes and powers is quite amazing. I commend you on such a great character :thumbup:.

7. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Congratulations jiansonz :flowers: My no-vita char, Bitey, made it to NM Travincal and I didn't try again, but Tero is a great achievement. Awesome luck on that WWS.

I wondered if, you really named him after Pitkämäki, but I didn't seriously expect that :grin:

8. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Fantastic work jiansonz; this has spawned a couple of ideas of my own.

For example, I'll likely be revisiting this thread for ideas with BeerBelly Stoutliver, since I was trying to figure out what melee skill to use, and I haven't tried Smite yet... (read: if you can do it with no Vit, I should be able to do it drunk :p).

BTW, I should be playing him right now, but I have another project in mind at the moment [/end hijack]

9. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Awesome, one of the coolest achievements I've ever seen. Not necessarily because of the No Vit aspect, but because of not having a tank! Well, conversion takes care of that, but still, that requires alot more strategy to use.

I havr a question that I forgot to ask you before now: when Iantha fires her magic arrows, do they actually show the magic arrow graphic, or do the arrows that she fires look normal?

Also, what's the last character in the sept again? Druid?

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

That's great reading and sounds like a fun character. Very nice.

11. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

@ wakiki - they show up as magic arrows when she's doing her normal attack.

12. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Nicely done.

Congratulations! :)

13. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

This is why I'm so jealous of jiansonz. Congrats.

This also kicks me in the butt to finish my TWD4 characters so I can have #6/7 as well!

14. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Good job and great write up. That is some pretty insane gear you got there, I don't think you could do any better even if you did twink.

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yeah, reaching the final attack speed bp, and cold + poison damage on every arrow was a good thing.

I have three assassins in progress. Two of them are in Act II NM: a Bounty Hunter´s Heaven Tourney Phoenix Striker and a Thrower Assassin. The third is a PS assassin in the Green With Envy II tourney. She has just reached Act IV Normal.

I´d say Tero himself was often a great "tank" (or whatever you should call it, since he was not a tank in usual meaning of a 'critter that soaks up damage').

Yeah, the gear was pretty good overall. Lots of emphasis on +life...

All the way through Hell, I was hoping to find the runes needed to upgrade any of our main weapons to Elite. That would have been cool.

16. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

Wow, I get sucked back into b.net for the reset and i completly miss the final stage of Tero's journy. Congrats on another excellent char and good luck with the assn (my favorite class next to the zon).

Yah for another no-vit guardian!