Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SPF Technical Support Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JSMcKee74

JSMcKee74 IncGamers Member

Howdy all, I am new over here; not so new to the Amazon Basin ;) . Anyways, I am looking for some GoMule help. I have upgraded my PC and OS from Windows XP to Windows 8 and now I cannot get GoMule to open at all. No error, no nothing. I have the latest version of Java installed so I am at a loss. Thanks for the feedback :)

2. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Move GoMule outside of the Program Files folder if it's there.

3. JSMcKee74

It was downloaded and installed on my desktop. It just does nothing when I try to run it.

4. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

You could try putting it in your documents more directly, Windows8's permissions system might be more strict than win7's (though I wouldn't know for sure).

Another thing to double check is that you don't just have plain Java installed (mostly acts as a plugin for browsers, in this version), but have the JRE (Java Run-time Environment) which enables you to run .jar files.

5. JSMcKee74

well I do have JRE installed and this is what is in the Bin folder; which should I use? I did also moved the GoMule folder into my documents folder. Thanks for the help :)

jrefolder.jpg

6. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

if you navigate to where GoMule.jar file is in a command prompt, will it successfully execute the following? :

Code:
    java -jar gomule.jar

Also, while in command propmt, ensure that .jar files are associated with the type jarfile by typing:

Code:
    assoc .jar
    It should return something like this:

Code:
    .jar=jarfile

7. JSMcKee74

I must admit that I do not know how to navigate to where GoMule.jar is in a command prompt :(. I am confident that if I can get there, that I can execute what you want me to.

8. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

I don't know if the path is changed in windows 8, but in windows 7 it's: C:\Users\%yourusername%\My Documents\

However, it looks like there's an option to open command prompt in a folder that is highlighted in your file explorer. Simply click once to highlight the GoMule folder, then go up to File in the top right, and click on open command prompt (you'll likely want the open as administrator option). See option 2 in this tutorial.

9. JSMcKee74

Ok, I finally figured out how to do what you wanted me to do in a command prompt and I get:
    error: unable to access jarfile gomule.jar
    I did make sure that .jar files are associated.

10. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

are you running the java command from the folder in which GoMule's .jar file is located? That's the most common cause of that error (ie it couldn't find the file because it's not in the folder in which you ran the program). To double check, simply type the command DIR

That will give you a listing of everything in the folder you are currently within. If it doesn't list off gomule's files, but you see a gomule folder, then to navigate thene you type cd GoMule (or whatever the name of gomule's folder is.

If you are in the correct directory, and it's still not working you can try dropping the .jar from the command line:

Code:
    java -jar GoMule

Keep in mind the command line might be case sensitive; it's unlikely as Windows usually isn't these days, but it's something to be aware of that is sometimes true for some operating systems.

It is good though that both the java command executed (meaning it's hopefully appropriately pathed) and that the associations are there, that rules out a lot of things. Assuming you clicked on "run command prompt as administrator" as well, that should rule out a permissions issue.

11. JSMcKee74

OK, this is where I am now. And yes, I am running the command prompt as administrator. Also, I always do my best to type commands and whatever exactly as posted. I really appreciate your patience and assistance :)

GoMuleCmd.JPG

12. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

Looking at that Dir listing I don't see the jar file, just a directory called GoMule. My suggestion would be to grab the latest version from the sourceforce page. Extract that to it's own directory within your documents somewhere (key point being separate from your other GoMule install), and try running that freshly unzipped. You can move your stash files over after the fact, if it works.

The file list of the fresh install, before launching, should look like this:

Code:
    d2111 (folder)
    dupelist (folder)
    resources (folder)
    COPYING.txt
    GoMule.jar
    LISCENCE.txt
    standard.css
    standard.dat

Since the associations were confirmed, and the java command is running, it should work even just double clicking on the GoMule.jar file. Looking at the readout in your screenshot, it looks like some files maybe got jumbled around restoring from a backup?

13. JSMcKee74

Completed fresh install in a new location and this is what I get:

GoMuleCmdFresh.JPG

Something else I have noticed but have failed to mention is that every time I have downloaded and installed GoMule, I've had to go into the properties of it and unblock it.

14. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

Did this version not work as well?

Code:
    java -jar GoMule.jar

For me, it works only when I type out the file name and extension, but I get the same error when I don't add the .jar. It's absence is worth testing though, because I saw cases where it worked on some set-ups.

If it still doesn't work, the only thing I can think of is try disabling the UAC of windows and then running it. If it works then, then we know it's a permissions issue, and not a problem with the software.

15. JSMcKee74

I tried both with and without the .jar and got the same error. As for disabling the UAC, I don't know what that is and thus don't know how to do it. I will Google that and see what I can break :p

Nifty. After I googled how to disable UAC, I was able to launch GoMule from the command prompt screen. I cannot thank you enough for bearing with me and my lack of knowledge.

Oddly enough, I can only open GoMule through the command prompt. Double clicking the icon just brings up a quick dos prompt that closes in less than 1 second and then nothing. Suppose I should make a .bat file to run GoMule for me instead of typing the command each and every time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  16. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

No problem! I'm glad it worked at last. Good to have it narrowed down to a UAC issue, but I wouldn't know where to begin to get it to work in win8 with the UAC on. I don't have Win8 so I don't know how it's UAC works or differs from win7's.

There may be some way to add an exclusion from the UAC for gomule, or create a .bat file to launch it with the correct permissions, but I wouldn't know where to begin to do that, sorry. :(

17. imakeigloospat

imakeigloospat IncGamers Member

Hi,
    Just now I had one of my items disappear when I moved it from my equipped item slot to my inventory, and it kept happening on only some items. Does anyone know why this happens? It's 1.07 by the way, and I have no runewords either.

The only message I can gather from the log is something along the lines "Polearm maximum socket 5, but ilvl 40+ only 4". I don't remember exactly, but I don't wanna open Atma again. The reason I mention this is because I moved my cruel cryptic axe of quickness with 4 sockets, and it just poofed...

Glad I had backup, but I am not 100% sure if I lost anything else as well. :(

Anyone ever seen this?

18. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

It's a known, albiet somewhat uncommon, issue affecting the equipment slots. Don't equip or remove items from the equipment slots in ATMA, always equip/remove in-game.

19. imakeigloospat

imakeigloospat IncGamers Member

Oh really, wow! I've never realized that, even though I've used ATMA for so long. I guess you don't really un-equip/equip that often after all.

Thank you so much Espr!

20. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

I suppose I should clarify, that it's a known issue with 1.07 in specific. AFAIK it's fine for other versions.