SPF Awards 2018 - Results

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Nominations thread.
Voting thread.

Picture1.png

Ladies, gentlemen and feline companions. As your host for 2018, it is my pleasure to present the results of the SPF Awards 2018!

This year has seen some great threads and a handful of 99ers (do we need a best 99er category?!), plus some great tournaments. It has been a cracker! Thank you all for voting :D Many added comments etc in your voting PMs. Apologies, I left them all unread until today so as not to unconsciously influence my votes, so have not responded individually. Please do include those comments here, such as why you chose certain nominations or ways you think that we could improve the awards :)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Nominations:

Best Guardian

• Ghost, Nat's WW Assassin by @srrw - WW Assassins are a very cool build, especially in full Nat's; however, WW characters aren't the easiest to keep alive, since you can't pot mid-ww; so very well done of srrw, in a stylish way, and with a nice write-up to boot
  • Haematopoiesis, Bonemancer by @Kitteh - He was fun to play :D

Best Matriarch/Patriarch

Best Tournament

• RFL 2018 by @Grape - tournament that combines all aspects we like so much: good amount of participants, a lot of theorycrafting, new and more efficient ways to run certain targets discovered, accessible for everyone due to the 3 week period per round, and at times epic drops
  • Set/Unique Worshippers 2018 by @jiansonz - These tournaments are a staple of SPF history, and this one had it all. A couple Guardians, some massive finds, and just generally some awesome gameplay and writeups along the way.
  • MFO 2018 by @PhineasB - One of the finest traditions in the SPF, this is the ultimate magic finding tournament.

Best D2 thread

• Zod God Sept, by Zod God himself, written record of when the Zod God walked among us mortals.
  • SPF 99er Compendium by @PhineasB - so much good info packed into one thread, about something that has become something very big over the last few years: level 99 characters
  • Build Efficiency 101 by @ffs - Tons of information here for both new players as well as seasoned veterans. Having all this information in one place makes it an invaluable resource for the SPF and is indicative of just how far we like to take things here.
  • From Rolling Ancient Tunnel Maps to Completing the Grail by @Albatross - We haven't seen detail like this for map re-rolling before. If you need to know anything about AT maps, look here. Great resource!

Best Item Drop

Best Community Contributor
  • @maxicek , because it's incredible and so highly appreciated what he has done and still does for the SPF, not only as a mod, but also as a member of the SPF
  • @PhineasB, he has given a great deal to the untwinked 99er tournament as both a participator and contributor, in addition to the 99er compendium. Given how trendy 99ers are at the moment, this contribution is fantastic!
  • @ffs , Amazing contributions to the efficiency meta through numerous builds, strategies, and of course the massive Build Efficiency 101 thread.
  • @Fruit, What would we do without a highly motivated code digger who can be bothered with any patch?

Best WTF?!/Do'h! Moment
  • 2 Weeks Too Late - Item Find Thread April 2018, by pharphis, proof that what is posted in first post of a new IFT affects the whole thread - A ridiculous amount of Zod drops.
  • RFL 2018 - round 1 results - 4 Zods in one round of a tournament?! Wow, just wow. And yes, it's quite the shameless self promotion in part, but it's literally still a WTF moment for me every time I think about that round
  • Deadly beetles, by Kitteh - possibly my most painful deeds so far in terms of items lost, but also because of how utterly terrible it was. I mean, the sound of it!

Special Award for Outstanding Contribution to the SPF
  • @Grape He doesn't post as much as he used to, but when he does, it's covered with awesomesauce, and it has been like this at least ever since I joined this forum 3 years ago: Zod God, Zod Sept, magic and rare only characters, host of the RFL ... enough said ;).
  • @maxicek, he has done a sterling job since taking over as the day-to-day moderator of the SPF, and in addition to his other contributions to the forums, I think that recognition is due.
  • @Fabian, revolutionised magic finding with the Pit Zerker build and has much to do with the efficiency concepts that Grip built on.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The results for the SPF Awards 2018, are as follows...

Best Guardian
Ghost, Nat's WW Assassin by @srrw - WW Assassins are a very cool build, especially in full Nat's; however, WW characters aren't the easiest to keep alive, since you can't pot mid-ww; so very well done of srrw, in a stylish way, and with a nice write-up to boot

Best Matriarch/Patriarch

Patriarch Gary_Lasereyes, eBotD Archon Staff Charger by @Pb_pal - Chargers are a bit of a niche build, but trust me, they are incredibly awesome to play; slap on BotD in an Archon staff and add an excellent, detailed write-up, and you get epic stuff

Best Tournament
RFL 2018 by @Grape - tournament that combines all aspects we like so much: good amount of participants, a lot of theorycrafting, new and more efficient ways to run certain targets discovered, accessible for everyone due to the 3 week period per round, and at times epic drops

Best D2 thread

Build Efficiency 101 by @ffs - Tons of information here for both new players as well as seasoned veterans. Having all this information in one place makes it an invaluable resource for the SPF and is indicative of just how far we like to take things here.

Best Item Drop

1.07 Zod by pharphis

Best Community Contributor

@ffs , Amazing contributions to the efficiency meta through numerous builds, strategies, and of course the massive Build Efficiency 101 thread.

Best WTF?!/Do'h! Moment

Deadly beetles, by Kitteh - possibly my most painful deeds so far in terms of items lost, but also because of how utterly terrible it was. I mean, the sound of it!

Special Award for Outstanding Contribution to the SPF

@maxicek, he has done a sterling job since taking over as the day-to-day moderator of the SPF, and in addition to his other contributions to the forums, I think that recognition is due.

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
Well done @Kitteh - thanks for putting this together :)

Congratulations to the winners, and a big thanks to all the contributors - your work makes this a great place to visit!

sir_cyclops

Diabloii.Net Member
Yay! @Kitteh you're the best for doing all the hard work. And I'm so glad your death won. At least now there's a really cool story and "upside" to that tragic event. I mostly cared about the 1.07 zod drop bc I KNOW FOR A FACT I would have missed the white text of the zod AND the insane odds of it dropping. Couple those two things with the fact that only a fraction of the players here are playing regularly in 1.07 and it's mind-blowing that it happened. Super cool. Congrats to all the winners! (all of my votes may have won :cool:**)

**assuming you give me credit for my tie breaker vote... i didnt vote for either of those initially :p

Last edited:

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks @Kitteh! And thanks for the flattering votes in those two categories, honestly I sometimes wonder how many even care about the things I post about. ;) More often than not it's just what I think and like about the game, but I'm very happy others find it helpful.
You're one of the most interesting posters on here! Glad you're staying active on the forum while enjoying your break from D2.

sir_cyclops

Diabloii.Net Member
So is my Arach/Shako drop eligible for the 2019 awards?
You're drop is insane, and it got me thinking. I wonder if anyone (I'm sure it's happened with the volume of players over time) has ever found a huge chunk of an entire character's setup from a single boss kill. For example, using your drop as the starting point, if a person has ever had arach, shako, travs, magefists all fall from a single kill. Or for any class, really. Like a full set from a single kill or a full jewelry set (maras, soj, bkwb for the skills OR raven, dwarf, maras for the res/sorc). Or perhaps three or 4 tals pieces on a single meph kill. You get the point.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember this one with Arach + Nightwing, which merely triggered a mild smile and is somewhere buried in a spoiler... I'm still waiting for a TC87 double drop. :)

Glad you're staying active on the forum while enjoying your break from D2.
Truth be told, I am taking language classes, and apparently made it a habit to check in here when bored during breaks. ;)

srrw

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for hosting @Kitteh!

You're drop is insane, and it got me thinking. I wonder if anyone (I'm sure it's happened with the volume of players over time) has ever found a huge chunk of an entire character's setup from a single boss kill. For example, using your drop as the starting point, if a person has ever had arach, shako, travs, magefists all fall from a single kill. Or for any class, really. Like a full set from a single kill or a full jewelry set (maras, soj, bkwb for the skills OR raven, dwarf, maras for the res/sorc). Or perhaps three or 4 tals pieces on a single meph kill. You get the point.
I might have had similar drops in my 40000+ Mephisto runs over the years. I remember a Reaper's + Arach or something like that at some point. I currently don't have (easy) access to my old screenshots, but I might dig for some.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
yay, I did something cool for once (not involving deeding)

RIP to your singer... somehow I missed that one, but something similar happened to mine vs CELE lister while MPing with the boys back in 2012. Big oof.